Pennsylvania orders all EMS personnel to stand by

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
EMS Regions Statement- We have received a number of calls from providers and services asking what they can do to support the disaster victims in Louisiana &
Mississippi. In a conference call yesterday afternoon with DOH EMS Director Joe Schmider, he has advised all councils that only three
(3) resources have been deployed from Pennsylvania at this time. (DMAT from Pittsburgh & Erie, and USAR Task Force 1). He has
requested that NO services or individuals attempt to respond to the affected areas without state sanction or authorization. All requests will
be made through PEMA and the PA DOH to the councils. Should resources be requested, we will promptly pass the information along to
you.

FEMA/DHS Statement -

WASHINGTON D.C. -- Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response and head of the
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), today urged all fire and emergency services departments not to respond to counties and
states affected by Hurricane Katrina without being requested and lawfully dispatched by state and local authorities under mutual aid
agreements and the Emergency Management Assistance Compact.
"The response to Hurricane Katrina must be well coordinated between federal, state and local officials to most effectively protect
life and property," Brown said. "We appreciate the willingness and generosity of our Nation's first responders to deploy during
disasters. But such efforts must be coordinated so that fire-rescue efforts are the most effective possible."

The U.S. Fire Administration, part of FEMA, asks that fire and emergency services organizations remain in contact with their local
and state emergency management agency officials for updates on requirements in the affected areas.
"It is critical that fire and emergency departments across the country remain in their jurisdictions until such time as the affected
states request assistance," said U.S. Fire Administrator R. David Paulison. "State and local mutual aid agreements are in place as is
the Emergency Management Assistance Compact and those mechanisms will be used to request and task resources needed in the affected
areas."
Paulison said the National Incident Management System is being used during the response to Hurricane Katrina and that
self-dispatching volunteer assistance could significantly complicate the response and recovery effort.

Cap'nPanic

Forum Lieutenant
Arkansas EMS providers have been asked to state whether or not they are available for deployment. I noticed my local EMS is getting a rig ready to go south. I may be headed to either NOLA or Biloxi depending on what happens. I should know by the weekend.

-Cap'nPanic

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I hadn't seen this...

Ok, though.... but if my other job wants volunteers to get on PA/NJ dual cert'ed rigs to go south, I'm in...

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
We are not allowed to go either. :(

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Sep 3 2005, 11:08 AM
PA DOH's "SURGE" teams have mobilized for a week.

I think the DOH wanted to make sure all waterfowl were properly aligned first, so insurance and pay would be covered.

Jon

OP
OP
TTLWHKR

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Sep 3 2005, 10:16 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Sep 3 2005, 10:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt@Sep 3 2005, 11:08 AM
PA DOH's "SURGE" teams have mobilized for a week.

I think the DOH wanted to make sure all waterfowl were properly aligned first, so insurance and pay would be covered.

Jon [/b][/quote]
Our region just sent out an EMA message reguarding the SURGE teams, but I know of several ambulances that refused to do the training. Mainly b/c the state wouldn't pay for the equipment.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
The DOH stood down the SURGE teams this afternoon.

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Sep 4 2005, 02:21 AM
The DOH stood down the SURGE teams this afternoon.

Jon
It appears as if all the local (Philly area) teams were stood down, but some of the central / western PA teams were deployed.

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Also... it seems that AMR's local response is at the request of AMR National... I think.... Maybe DHS / FEMA asked AMR to send help... dunno

Not a state request, though, so we still get to go :eek: :D

Jon