Patients trying to add you

Nathan

Forum Crew Member
I honestly had no idea I was this popular with the ladies, but in the last month I have had three patients (I frequent flyer, and 2 5150s) add me on Facebook. Has anyone had any issues with this? It is weird because I work 2 hours away from home, and I don't advertise where I live, that and I don't go out and tell the world my last name.

I took care of the frequent flyer, I told her that my Facebook is really just a way to keep connected with family, and that it would be unprofessional to add patients.

Should I be concerned?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Obviously you aren't keeping your personal information as private as you think you are. That is what I would be concerned about. Beyond that, it happens. Don't accept the friend requests, and it is probably a good idea to block those accounts too.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I personally do not allow it. One patient tried, I declined. No interest in friending any patients

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
One more reason I'm glad I don't have a FB account.

OP
OP
N

Nathan

Forum Crew Member
I just think it is creepy that a 5150 who was combative and we had to restrain and at EPS they took her in the seclusion room found me on fb. It is concerning.

I am really considering taking my facebook offline, or at least figuring out a way to make it more private.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I just think it is creepy that a 5150 who was combative and we had to restrain and at EPS they took her in the seclusion room found me on fb. It is concerning.

I am really considering taking my facebook offline, or at least figuring out a way to make it more private.

Mine is very private.

My fb is listed under a nickname I've had since birth. All of my friends know it and can find me but at work I go by my legal name. Search that name and nothing comes up.

I told a coworker "I've found a good way to keep work and personal life separate is to use different identities." He laughed then saw I was serious and said 'really?" Haha

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
My partner and I will regulary introduce ourselves under different names. Just so happens we use the supervisors first names (her real name rhymes with one so I can remember easily). Bosses know we do it. I also never wear my ID badge.

If patients dont ask I dont offer a name.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Heres a few tips-

Only give out your first name.

Set your FB profile to maximum privacy

Change your default pic to one that won't easily identify you

JPINFV

Gadfly
Patients trying to add me?

tumblr_mff1txlfPu1rs7k3ko1_500.jpg

I also have Facebook made so you can't search for me and my profile pictures aren't me personally.

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
I had this issue working College EMS back when Facebook was only for colleges.:rolleyes: Not like today. I didn't friend pt's back then.

Haven't had an issue as of now, because mostly I just use first name and I have maximum facebook privacy.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
When I get friend requests from people that I either don't know, or don't know well enough to consider adding, I simply send a PM of:

Your name doesn't look familiar. Do I know you? I only friend relatives and people I know well.

Usually I never hear back from them.

Though once I did get a replay back saying "Oh, right. I've gotten married and changed my name. Remember when we used to ..." and gave me her maiden name, and what we used to do in college. Of course I added her.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
OP is just an amiable person apparently.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
I wouldn't give out personal information to any patient.

My name is sewn into my uniform, so there's really no way of hiding it. Unless they're illiterate or blind, they know my last name. If they ask my first name, I'll tell them. Beyond that, nothing.

'I don't have Facebook' is my response.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Mine is very private.

My fb is listed under a nickname I've had since birth. All of my friends know it and can find me but at work I go by my legal name. Search that name and nothing comes up.

I told a coworker "I've found a good way to keep work and personal life separate is to use different identities." He laughed then saw I was serious and said 'really?" Haha

Just remember, nothing is truly private on FB...they will sell any of your data they can. As far as anyone else getting through their "privacy", it's just a matter of how much time, effort, and money they want to put into it.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
First, your service sucks if it allows/requires your first and last name to be advertised. Most hospitals and EMS/FD services did away with this a long time ago. You have a certain expectation of privacy as well even though you are a public servant, your employer should respect that.

Second, your Facebook settings suck. It is very easy to prevent what has happened. You cannot find me in a search at all, there is a setting which prevents that. You could find my name through a friends page if I posted on their page and you knew who I was, but just logging into facebook and plugging in my name will pull up every other person with same name but not me.

Additionally, your profile picture should not be you clear as day. Use one that is not readily identifiable as you or use an inanimate object or scene shot as your profile pic. Yes, all your fans will not have the glory of gazing upon you in that little box, but you are somewhat more private now.

And finally, never, ever add a patient to your Facebook. Whenever people ask if they can add me, I say I do not have Facebook. That ends the conversation.