Patient Assessment

ChefCurry

Forum Ride Along
Hello, all I just started my EMT school. We have been going over patient assessment. S.A.M.P.L.E and AVPU and what have you. Any tips on mastering the assessment? How can I practice? Thanks.:)

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
For the rapid trauma assessment, learn it by heart.

Get a teddy bear or a loved one and plonk them on the bed and do the head-to-toe rapidly but fully, saying aloud all the steps to burn it into memory.

The SAMPLE/OPQRST are a good foundation and for the purpose of class, go through each of these. As you go on a few calls, you'll start asking what comes into your head and then falling back on these as a double-check.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The acronyms SAMPLE and AVPU are nothing more than mnemonics (memory aids for you) to remember what kinds of questions you need to ask your patients when assessing them and determining their mental status. AVPU is a quick and dirty method of a mental status check, it doesn't replace more in-depth methods of determining mental status. For "altered mental status" patients, AEIOU TIPS is the mnemonic that's used to remind you of the most common reasons why patients can be altered.

Probably the best method to practice doing patient assessments is to simply do patient assessments. I know that sounds strange, possibly even circular, but enlist your friends, family, even the dog. Just simply ask them to help you study for your EMT class. The dog probably won't give you much information, but it will probably like the attention and will be something you can at least talk to with a one-way conversation to get used to asking questions.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
For school - memorize it.

In real life- a lot of the things are combined.
Example- I can Walk up to a patient, ask " what is going on" and get their LOC, skin vitals, respirations, if they have labored breathing, grab a pulse, etc all at the same time.

GirevikMedic

Forum Crew Member
For now while you're in the course and studying based on NREMT standards use the skill sheets as you're guide. It will make testing easier and it's a solid foundation to build on. Repitition and consistency are the key. You can never really get enough practice since pretty much everything we do is based on assessment skill. Over time you'll find your own ways and methods and what not; what works best for you. However you do it, I'd advise to keep it as systematic and universally applicable as possible. This helps the consistency aspect and makes things easier to remember.

Ex) Medical runs, this is how my mental checklist goes...
  1. What - When - How (What's going on? When did it start? How did it start/What were you doing?)
  2. Specifics (OPQRST, AEIOUTIPS, etc)
  3. Allergies - Meds - History (Any allergies, meds or otherwise? Do you take any meds? What do you take them for?)