patient assessment...the house and monk way

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
I was reading a thread about amazing body facts on here and came across a mention that a lack of leg hair on a male may well indicate a cardiac history. So, does anyone else have things that people like monk or house would notice during an assessment like that?

My class was taught that if you touch the eyelash of an unresponsive pt and there eye moves under the lid they have a gag reflex intact.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
That's neat if true, but when you think about the cranial nerves, it doesn't make sense. I looked it up and confirm that the sensory and motor of the eyelids are controlled by the trigeminal (V) cranial nerve, not vagal (X) and glossopharyngeal (IX). It is innervated by some other nerves, but I couldn't find if they were branched off from IX or X.

My class was taught that eyelid trick too, but we were taught many things that have either been proven wrong or cannot be backed up. I tend to take what I learned in EMT school with a grain of salt.

A better way to catch subtle findings would probably be to learn Anatomy & Physiology like I think most people recommend, appreciate anatomical variations, experience in doing a full head to toe to know what it looks and feels like, experience in patient interviewing to hear words patients may choose when they feel a certain way or describe their problems, hear it over and over, and there is a great book thay has pictures and description correlating different signs and symptoms you may find during a physical exam and while talking to the patient. It's called Bates' Guide to Physical Exam and History Taking.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Can't say I've heard of the lack of leg hair being indicative of a cardiac history.

Plenty of people naturally aren't hair to begin with. Im sooner going to ask a patient or family about their history before I bother/remember to look at their leg hair.

What may be more valid to say is that people with odd patched in spots of hair on their arms or legs may indicate chronically poor blood flow to the extremity. That one I've heard many times but I have still never checked for it because quite honestly it's a useless diagnostic for anything prehospital.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
What may be more valid to say is that people with odd patched in spots of hair on their arms or legs may indicate chronically poor blood flow to the extremity. That one I've heard many times but I have still never checked for it because quite honestly it's a useless diagnostic for anything prehospital.

Would it make a difference if you observed that and the patient told you they were not diabetic?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
If it wasn't normal for them I guess it is worth making a note of but I don't see how it would change anything I can do in an ambulance for the 30 minutes I am with them.

Im sure you have a more in depth reason.

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Hmm. I will have to take the eyelid trick away then. Thank you! I doubt my instructor was wrong, I probably misunderstood the statement. Anyway, here is the thread I was referring to:

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=7522

post number nine by TKO:

"if your elderly male pt has no leg hair, ask him about his cardiac history.

if your pt has a yellow rim around the iris, ask him about his high cholesterol. "

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
While it might not be necessarily true, there might be a strong correlation just through your teacher's experience. Those cranial nerves aren't that far apart...

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
If it wasn't normal for them I guess it is worth making a note of but I don't see how it would change anything I can do in an ambulance for the 30 minutes I am with them.

Im sure you have a more in depth reason.

It might not change what you do, but it is an indication of a risk factor. This is especially true if there is a line of demarcation where the hair stops at the same spot on both legs. It also can indicate poor nutrition/malnutrition.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I was reading a thread about amazing body facts on here and came across a mention that a lack of leg hair on a male may well indicate a cardiac history. So, does anyone else have things that people like monk or house would notice during an assessment like that?

My class was taught that if you touch the eyelash of an unresponsive pt and there eye moves under the lid they have a gag reflex intact.

I've never heard that, doesn't mean it's not true. Is it possible you misheard and they said a thyroid issue? Of course, if that was it the hair statement wouldn't be just the legs

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
lack of leg hair on a male always indicates cyclist road weenie to me :D

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Lack of body hair on a male may indicate removal of his prostate or dodads right?

Veneficus

Forum Chief

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I thought sparse leg hair could indicate peripheral vascular disease / insufficiency

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Lack of body hair on a male may indicate removal of his prostate or dodads right?

While theorhetically possible, I would not use this as an indicator.

Removal of the prostate should have no influence.

Removal of the tesiticles themselves would also not likely produce this effect due to extratesticular androgen production. (mainly the suprarenal glands)

In the vascularly impaired (diabetic, vascular disease of various flavours, etc) loss of body hair is likely from inadequete local circulation.

If there is significant edema in the lower extremities, mass effect may also occlude folicular circulation, causing atrophy.

But in an older male patient with no lower extremity hair, I would start looking for cardiovascular problems.

In a younger population, including those with no body hair at all, (seen it) central endocrine axis disorder is usually the cause.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
The prostate does not produce hormones. The testes do. Removal of the testes can cause a decrease in body hair, along with anything else reliant on testosterone. It wound not only happen on the legs.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
When I see minimal body hair, I think "swimmer," not "orchiectomy."
Those "House"-style assessment techniques probably have fairly low sensitivity and specificity. I'd wager that you'd get way more false positives from assuming minimal body hair --> cardiac hx, say.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
When I see minimal body hair, I think "swimmer," not "orchiectomy."
Those "House"-style assessment techniques probably have fairly low sensitivity and specificity. I'd wager that you'd get way more false positives from assuming minimal body hair --> cardiac hx, say.

I think you have to take it in with the sum total of knowledge and findings.

It is a failure of EMS education and knowledge to apply 1:1 models of assessment.

If there is no/minimal body hair, there has to be a reason. That reason needs to be investigated, though not in the emergency setting usually.

Because of the slowness of human evolution, people are predsposed to cardiovascular disease. (except some east asian populations, for reasons only speculated, but likely a combination)

Along with C/V disease comes a host of other related illness. Obesity, HTN diabetis, etc.

When you examine a patient, finding physical evidence of things like metabolic syndrome will usually not land you too far from the mark.

But it is the sum total of findings and understanding of inter-relations that permit accurate assessment like this.

Another example is something like caput medusae, does it tell you if a blockage is pre, post, or intrahepatic? No. but when I see it I know there is some sort of portal system HTN. I know the sequele of that.

Now start adding other history and physical findings and your accuracy can increase considerably.

However it is all based on knowledge of phys and pathophys. Without it, your physical exam is going to be next to useless. (it has been my experience this knoledge and exam accuracy usually correlate) If you leave parts of your physical exam out, like liver/heart margins, percussion, etc. of course your findings are not going to be accurate.

I have met physicians whose physical exam are as good as any battery of tests. I work hard to become as skilled as they are. But I can say for certain, it requires knowledge and practice. Merk Manuals and simple correlation is just not going to do it.

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Thus I made this thread; I am learning from the replies. The reason I mentoined prostate removal and lack of hair is due to a man I talked to who had his prostate removed and lost a lot of body hair.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Thus I made this thread; I am learning from the replies. The reason I mentoined prostate removal and lack of hair is due to a man I talked to who had his prostate removed and lost a lot of body hair.

Due to prostate cancer? Possibly from chemo/Radiation treatment