Passing the Interview? Help needed.

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone!

I had my first interview, but its sad to say that I didn't pass. I went to my EMT Teacher, told him how I answered the questions, how I did my skill, written & map reading. He thought I passed for sure. I was the only woman in the 5 person bunch. Only one of the guys & myself dressed "professional"

I didn't get any explanation except that I wasn't chosen for the position. A two sentence letter.

I tried to call H.R. back the day after I got my letter (which would make it almost a week since I had the interview) and I find out that the station that I applied for, is now shutting down.

Does this make sense to anyone? I had my interview last Wednesday, they wrote my letter the next day, and I didn't receive it til this Monday. I called yesterday (Tuesday) and I find out that their closing the Alameda Station. Why would they make me come down and interview??

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Well every company and interviewer is looking for different things so it is hard to tell. My best recomendation would be to ask HR what they wanted in an application. I generally think in EMS people want employees who know their stuff, work well under pressure team players, and have the skills. If you don't have skills they want someone who can learn fast and is open to growth.

Brought to you from Boise Idaho airport...

OP
OP
highvelocity84

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
re: your reply.

That's why I was calling H.R.
I told my teacher how I did in my scenario and the only thing I forgot to do was to request ALS. Otherwise, I did everything that I was taught in my EMT class.

Maybe its because I don't have any experience? It is my first EMT job. There were 2 that were in the medical field, but they weren't even dressed professionally. One of them had a sleeve tattoo (whole arm done) yet he wore a polo shirt & khakis, with fancy sneakers. Sneakers!? The other one wore low-rise socks with adidas sneakers.

How do you ever get a job if an agency doesn't take a chance on you? I gave them a resume, my references, even a letter of recommendation from my EMT Teacher. None of those people came in with stuff like that into the oral interview. I definitely promoted the fact that I have a positive work attitude, enjoy learning new things, and can walk up to anyone and start a conversation.

I would think H.R. wouldn't accept an application if we didn't have what they were looking for for their company.

I'm sorry, I'm just frustrated. I appreciate you replying.

Well every company and interviewer is looking for different things so it is hard to tell. My best recomendation would be to ask HR what they wanted in an application. I generally think in EMS people want employees who know their stuff, work well under pressure team players, and have the skills. If you don't have skills they want someone who can learn fast and is open to growth.

Brought to you from Boise Idaho airport...

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
It's possible that when they posted the opening they didn't know they'd have to close the station.... There's no way to know for sure what was going on. Sounds to me though, like no one you interviewed with got hired.

OP
OP
highvelocity84

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
A quick update...

It turns out that the station didn't "close down." The person taking my message left out some information...

They actually just changed locations, from Castro Valley to Hayward.

Now I have to wait 6 months to reapply for Sacramento station & I didn't even know that my interview was applicable for both stations.

I've tried to contact HR and she has not answered my question on feedback...then again, the HR lady did NOT do my interview.

It's possible that when they posted the opening they didn't know they'd have to close the station.... There's no way to know for sure what was going on. Sounds to me though, like no one you interviewed with got hired.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
In a job like EMS it is possible to overdress for an interview. Keep that in mind when you apply next time I'm not saying not to dress professionally just don't over do it if you catch what I'm trying to say. If your instructor said that you should've received the job based on your skills testing maybe you said something that rubbed the interviewer wrong? Also don't be biased against people with tattoos :p I have a half sleeve but then again I have nothing that goes below the elbow or on the neck and my tattoos aren't obscene :) . Anyways apply again and to other services sometimes it looks good to apply multiple times it shows you are persistent and really want the job.

OP
OP
highvelocity84

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
I wore a black suit, with a white undershirt.
My EMT teacher says it sounded fine. Doesn't come off as overpowering.
People get turned down for jobs because they "under dress" for interviews.

To set the record straight, I'm not against tattoos. I'm just saying that if that guy went to an interview for even a "business casual" position, the HR person wouldn't let someone pass who couldn't even look professional. That's all I'm saying.

They said that the written was "just a key to see where you'd be at in training." Not graded. But I felt I did really good on it. A lot of the questions I knew b/c I had them on my quizzes in my EMT class. What if someone were to do "really good?" Would they not hire them b/c they have a lot of knowledge and don't know if they could break them down to fit their agencies needs?

Afflixion

Forum Captain
Yes everyone knows that it's possible to under dress for interviews but a lot of people don't realize you don't want to over dress either. For instance someone applying for a position working as a manager of a convenient store do you think they should come to that interview in a full blown suit and tie? or just a nice button up shirt with a good pair of slack and loose the tie? It all depends on the position and place of employment that's why it never hurts to ask prior to the interview whats expected attire. Though that isn't the subject at hand here just a thought at the time... back to the subject I suppose it is possible to be "too well educated" though I doubt it. Is it possible someone may have given you a poor reference?

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
In a job like EMS it is possible to overdress for an interview.
This is unfortunately true. There are a lot of low-class losers in EMS, and in EMS management positions. They may actually hold it against you if you show a little class.

For twenty years, I went to EMS job interviews in dress slacks, shirt and tie. Although it was how I felt comfortable, I also always ended up feeling overdressed for the slobs that were interviewing me. So finally, I went to an interview dressed a little more casually. A nice pressed Polo shirt, pressed khaki slacks, and polished loafers. I'll be damned if the two guys interviewing me weren't wearing suits! I felt like a total putz, but they laughed it off when I explained the dilemma to them, and I got hired.

Anyhow, back to your dilemma, as Silver said, there are just way too many variables to even speculate as to why you weren't hired. As the above story illustrates, every organization has it's own culture and their own expectations. Unless you cultivate a contact or two on the inside, you just never know what they are looking for. And the moment you try to change into what you think they want, they'll want something else.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
try to make a friend who works there already thats how I got hired on with my first EMS company my father's friend worked thee and recommended me for the position granted if you screw up it's not going to look good on them either

EDIT: As for the tattoos thing it was meant as more of a joke than anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
highvelocity84

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
Ahhh...I see...well its good on the tattoo thing it was a joke. :)

I really don't have any EMT friends. I had one who had taken this test before and he only gave me 5 minutes of his time to help me b/c he had to go over to his gf's place who had a cold. Never got back to me. My other EMT buddy is actually an ER Tech in the hospital, he never got back to me. People are just too flippin' busy these days! I proctor my EMT class, but they are quite antagonistic in giving help. The kids come over and ask me for help more since I'm approachable.

That's why I rely on the forum for guidance. You're all that I got :)

Afflixion

Forum Captain
If I lived in cali still I may be of some assistance but im from SoCal Anaheim Hills, Santa Cruz, and good ole' Lake Arrowhead. My friend MArty works in Cali as an ER Tech and does part time with AMR but this is once again in SoCal

OP
OP
highvelocity84

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
I appreciate the gesture. I really do. Thank you :)

If I lived in cali still I may be of some assistance but im from SoCal Anaheim Hills, Santa Cruz, and good ole' Lake Arrowhead. My friend MArty works in Cali as an ER Tech and does part time with AMR but this is once again in SoCal