Passed Up on ER Tech Job- What's Next?

pauloemsu

Forum Ride Along
Ok I recently applied for an er tech job at one of the local hospitals. I had somewhat assumed that they didn't hire er tech's w/o some experience but then one of my former classmates got hired in january w/ no EMT experience. So I said what the heck and applied for a job and after three weeks they sent back a courtesy (position has been filled) letter. What troubles me is that I didn't even get an interview or a chance to make an impression. I currently have another job so it wasn't imperative that I got it, but I would still like to work as an ER tech starting in the summer. What are my options?
I was thinking of going to the HR department and asking them how to improve my resume/ when new jobs are opening up? Is this a good idea? They have one job opening right now 7pm-7am (which i obviously don't want because school is still in session), should i still apply and try to secure an interview so they will remember me for a future opening?
Basically on my resume i have no emt experience but i do have patient care experience (which they accept as well) in that I work for a respite care center where we do lifting, transferring, meds, total care for kids with disabilities..What should i do guys?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I think you are on the right wave form of maybe updating your resume and interview skills, but I would do that at a educational facility, not where you applied at.

I also do not recommend applying for a position that you do not intend on working at. The reason you may not have the position is simply like they stated, no position available at this time (that meet your asking). Remember, tech positions can be applied and filled by anyone that meets that criteria; this includes premed personal that already have experience or even LPN's that have a medical license and experience. So it might be the competition rather than you as an applicant.

As an ER manager before, I did not interview persons unless they made it pass the application or resume' point. Again, there might have been people that have worked there before. I know during the summer, I always had returning nursing & medical, science students that had worked for me before. I did not have to re-train and orientate them and the staff already knew and was familiar to them as well.

I would follow up again in about a month and maybe ask for an interview.

Good luck in your pursuit.

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
don't worry. Like Rid says, people who hire like to hire or rehire people they are familiar with. You might want to try volunteering in the ER you want to work in. This way you become oriented to that ER and familiar with the ER staff. The staff also becoms familiar with you. You can see if you do in fact want to work there and if you do, you ill know first hand that a position is available. Than when you apply the ER staff already knows you. You can ask the ER manager about being hired instead of the HR dept prescreening applicants.

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
I would follow the advice already posted here, and besides, it seems you have right mindset.

It is not always easy to start off with your career, some have it lucky and fall with their butts in the butter, others have to work hard at it. The latter tends to appreciate what he has a lot more.

As you did not get the first "ER Tech" post, it was not ment to be. There will be many more oppertunities.

Good luck!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I recently, and still do, struggle with finding my perfect career. I paid tons of money to fly around for interviews, only to end up working in a situation that I absolutely despised. A year later I'm far more content, though the grass always seems greener. For a year I worked in a position that I absolutely despised, knowing from day one that it would be a stepping stone.

Now I'm living the dream... okay, not really, but it sure is a lot better!

Keep your head up, and keep trying. Be persistent. The first time around I received job offers from four of the twenty places I interviewed. The second time around I got jobs from most of the places I wanted. Every time you learn something from the process.

Edit: I used a year to add as many titles to my resume as I possibly could, and it helped! I'd do the same if I were you. Get experience, get education, and volunteer!

Good luck!

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
As far as improving your resume, I would try to get your IV approval at a minimum. You may also want to get phlebotomy and/or EKG. All of the techs I've seen in the ED have IV approval and most have phleb and EKG. Some were trained on the job, but they all encouraged me to get the aforementioned training prior to applying.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
The issue may not have been resume related. They may have had several applicants with a much higher level of experience or skill. A lot of times within a public district hospital, policy states that the job must be posted for a certain number of days before filling the position. This posting of the job may be a formality, when the opening is actually one created because someone who used to work there has returned, or someone in-house has already expressed an interest and is the preferred candidate.

You are not going to get that answer in writing from anyone you talk to at the facility, because their policies don't allow for it and they can't legally admit to having made the decision prior to the posting.

The volunteering is a great way to get your foot in the door, but only if you plan on impressing them, not showing them you aren't a good hire. The volunteering can backfire if you aren't competent in your skills. This happened in our local ER. Gal was set to be hired at the next opening. She decided to up her chances by volunteering. Once they got a look at her up close, they hired someone else.