Paramedics put down Pit Bull

reaper

Working Bum
That doesn't work so well on anything larger than a squirrel, let alone a notoriously tough dog breed with very little neck. I don't know, though, you might be absurdly jacked, but I'm betting it would be tough.

Have any of you ever owned a Pit? Yes, they are powerfull dogs, but very easy to get under control. Yes, you can snap ones neck easily. there is a way to do it.

I have dealt with many dog attacks in progress. You do what you find will work best.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I heard it was midazolam, from another paramedic. I also read something saying that the drug used, is only carried by MICA Paramedics and is used to cause paralysis or to put a patient in a coma after major trauma however you know the media doesn't get everything right. So Melclin, can you confirm that midazolam is only used by MICA?

Midazolam is used by all paramedics; MICA and ALS. Suxamethonium and Pancuronium are the only two drugs that could have been involved that are only carried by MICA.

Sux is part of the RSI drug set, along with Midaz, Fentanyl, Morphine and Pancuronium. Which I suppose is what the media means when they say "Paramedics had to paralyse the victim and put a breathing tube down their throat".

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Have any of you ever owned a Pit? Yes, they are powerfull dogs, but very easy to get under control. Yes, you can snap ones neck easily. there is a way to do it.

I have dealt with many dog attacks in progress. You do what you find will work best.

I will agree with Reaper here. Back in high school, a buddy of mine was attacked by his neighbour's Pit (he was taking care of it while the owners were away on vacation). He entered the neighbour's home (legally) and was attacked by the dog. It was weird, because he had been taking care of the dog for about a week at that point without any problems.... Anyways, he was quick enough to put his arm out in front of his neck, allowing his neck to be unscathed. After a bit of struggling he was able to get a hold of the dog and break it's neck. Done deal there, doggy was out like a busted light.

Now, I will admit my friend is one of those naturally-stronger individuals but it just goes to show that the dog's neck can easily be broken if you find the "sweet spot".

Just sayin'.^_^

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
And the dog doesn't rip your brachial artery.

I know lots of nice pitbulls, but every dog gets ornery once in a while. I think I posted a erply about this in a post last year.

OP
OP
Jinx

Jinx

Forum Crew Member
"Paramedics had to paralyse the victim and put a breathing tube down their throat".

Is this an actual quote? lol. Disturbing if the media is calling our patients "victims" to say the least! :lol:

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
PD was there. If you are not needed medically to off the dog, then why would you be trying to find “something” to kill the dog? The point of having EMS there was to use drugs to kill the thing; otherwise, it was a LEO/Animal Control Issue. Scene Safety? I was thinking the same thing, especially when it comes to trying to administer drugs… LOL… oh the stories… ^_^

If PD wasn't there and I (for some strange reason) decided to try and remove the dog, then I'd find something.

Last time I checked my protocols didn't include administering meds to a dog, and I wouldn't do it even if cleared by med control.

Cory

Forum Captain
I thought this is why the SPCA and other animal control companies have emergency-response teams now...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Jinx

Jinx

Forum Crew Member
The article says the police were waiting for the RSPCA, which is Australia's version of your animal control. However, the dog was locked on to the patients arm and the patient couldn't be properly treated until the dog was taken care of.

Cory

Forum Captain
The article says the police were waiting for the RSPCA, which is Australia's version of your animal control. However, the dog was locked on to the patients arm and the patient couldn't be properly treated until the dog was taken care of.

So paramedics aren't supposed to approach a scene if they think someone will endanger them, but they will :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: angry pit-bulls with multiple needles (yes, I know what a lock jaw is)

Doesn't seem to add up to me...

[ok, well be assured I said nothing innapropriate...well not in this form at least]

emtfarva

Forum Captain
by shooting the animal in the head, don't you run the risk of the jaw locking shut, or bitting down even harder? If you used electricity to kill it, you would probably hurt the Pt even more. I would say break the animals neck if you could, or shoot it in the heart. I don't think I would give the dog drugs. And even if I did, MA doesn't carry anything strong enough.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I call for the lock.

We're comparing techniques for killing Fido, or Kujo.

Just scritch by the hip and he'll fall over when the leg starts uncontrollably jerking.

Once you have done this to the pt, the dog will be easier to handle.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Now, I will admit my friend is one of those naturally-stronger individuals but it just goes to show that the dog's neck can easily be broken if you find the "sweet spot".

Just sayin'.^_^

Well, if someone's going to call me on posting without the relevant experience, I suppose this is a good place for it to happen. I'll keep that in mind, though I'm one of those unnaturally-weaker individuals.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
We're comparing techniques for killing Fido, or Kujo.

Just scritch by the hip and he'll fall over when the leg starts uncontrollably jerking.

Once you have done this to the pt, the dog will be easier to handle.

*snort*

I know I said before what I would use, but if this really happened to me, I would call for animal control to respond pronto. They have tranquilizers for when they have to catch animals and such.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Is this an actual quote? lol. Disturbing if the media is calling our patients "victims" to say the least! :lol:

Nah its not.

I meant victim of accident,hanging, psychostimulant OD, etc...

High Speed Chaser

Forum Crew Member
So paramedics aren't supposed to approach a scene if they think someone will endanger them, but they will :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: angry pit-bulls with multiple needles (yes, I know what a lock jaw is)

Doesn't seem to add up to me...

[ok, well be assured I said nothing innapropriate...well not in this form at least]

Police were on scene and had the dog restrained while it was still locked onto the arm of the patient/casualty/victim.

RSPCA is not the quickest organisation around here and they could of been waiting for a long time, up to an hour if not more. Considering the dog would have been put down anyway, and they probably wanted to asses the guy and get him to hospital quickly, I think they did the right thing. I mean lets face it would you want a pit bull attached to your arm for a short or longer amount of time?