Paramedics Program interview tomorrow morning weird question....

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
I think i have a pretty good chance of getting in. The program had 80 applicants who took the entrance exam. 30 failed it. So that leaves 50 interviews that they have been doing that concludes tomorrow. The program accepts 40 students. Ive been working in the medical field as a CNA and EMT for 3 years now and i have a 3.2GPA PLUS all of the required classes for the paramedicine degree the college offeres aside from the program core.

Anyways a bud who had his interview last week said that they asked him the typical background questions as far as -

Why do you want to do this?
where will you be in 10 years?
How long have you wanted to be working in EMS?
What are your future educational plans?
ect
ect.

One question they asked my bud that threw him for a loop and even me as ive been thinking about it the last couple days....

"if your clone was sitting next to you interviewing, tell us why we should pick you over him"

:rofl: WHAT? :rofl:

Maybe im overthinking things but if it was my clone wouldnt there not be any difference?

ALSO 2 other quick questions.....

if my plan is after finishing Paramedics school to move out of state is it wise to say so? Do you think that would be looked down upon that i am applying for a program with plans to move as soon as its done?

And for questions like "why do you want to be a paramedic" Where the general response would be "i like the action and excitement and the fact that your patients and diagnosis are constantly changing" I have had friends who interviewed say that the interviewers responded with "unless your working for the state your only going to be transporting mostly stable patients may times the same ones habitually"
Though i know that IS the case. How are you supposed to respond to a reply like that? "well i plan on getting into a private while waiting to get into a FD"?

THANKS GUYS! WISH ME LUCK!

-DigDugDude

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I've been asked which STD I would be and why. Talk about awkward.

Be honest, they catch you lying and your opportunity is shot.

Who cares if you're moving? You're in Chi-Town right? (Tapatalk doesn't give your location, had to look back through your posts to find one saying where you were). It's not like your area is hurting for qualified applicants...if they turn you away for that reason it isn't a school you want to go to.

Why do you want to be a medic? Answer me that and I'll see what kind of help I can give you with your response. Fair?

If you say to be a firefighter the deal is off :p

JPINFV

Gadfly
I've been asked which STD I would be and why. Talk about awkward.

Syphilis. It's the Great Imitator.

Alternatively, HPV works. It causes cancer and cancer grows on you after a while.

OP
OP
D

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
LOL which STD? now that one would catch me off guard.

As to why i want to be a paramedic? Well because I actually get a sense of calm when the poo hits the fan. Chaos calms me. I like to think on the fly and i like the idea of helping people at their worst. (originally i started with nursing but working in a hospital made me realize bedside and nursing as a whole just isnt my thing.) Yah im in chicago and as you say theres PLENTY of EMS workers out here. Ive been living here for 4 years and though i love it here its just a little too fast paced and urban for me, something i never experienced before moving to chicago.

My main long term goal is to move to canada. I have dual citizenship though my parents since im a first born and i think the Canadian EMS system is more my speed. They have socialized healthcare which i believe in, and their medical system isnt overrun with price gouging privates. Out there ambulances are state run and so have good competitive pay and benefits. They pay you according to your education (associates/bachelors/masters in paramedicine) AND you dont have to call medical control for approval for every little intervention. Out there from the guys ive spoke to and the reseach ive done you call medical control if your in a spot and you dont know what do to. I want that autonomy.

Im a very good, very hard worker and i just feel like being a medic in what i want to do and where i can help people the most just not in america. And considering im working as a CNA making 21$/hour VS the private paramedics i know here who barely make 13-14/hr it just seems like a better fit. Not to mention all the oil rig/field work opportunites out in canada.

And no i have no interest in being a firefighter. I hate fire!

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
If you want to work in Canada it is a good idea to do your training up here. Not all us schools are recognized and it can be a pain depending what province you transfer to. I did some of my training in the us and I had to fill in the gaps( there were lots) I was fortunate enough to go to a school that is recognized by a couple of Canadian licensing agencies.

Best of luck with whatever you end up doing.

cprted

Forum Captain
If you want to work in Canada it is a good idea to do your training up here. Not all us schools are recognized and it can be a pain depending what province you transfer to. I did some of my training in the us and I had to fill in the gaps( there were lots) I was fortunate enough to go to a school that is recognized by a couple of Canadian licensing agencies.

Best of luck with whatever you end up doing.
I agree. If ultimately you want work up here, do your PCP in whatever province you'd like to work in. Just simplifies things.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
D

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
well

i checked with the provice i plan on moving to and the school im going through is recognized. They did say there may be some training or "gaps" needing to be filled in but realistically moving out there then going to school just isnt in the cards for me.

My plan is to get through school here. Apply to take whatever needed courses/training are needed to get reciprocity out there (while continuing to work in the states till i can get a position out there) then move up.

thanks for all the replies so far guys much appreciated!