Paramedics Often Fail to Give Epinephrine for Anaphylaxis

OfficerEvenEMT

Forum Crew Member

Of the 52 patients with anaphylaxis, 25 (48.1%) were given oxygen, 8 (15.4%) were given epinephrine, 6 (11.5%) were given intravenous fluids, 10 (19.2%) were given albuterol, and 13 (25.0%) were given methylprednisolone. The majority (42; 80.8%) were given diphenhydramine.

"It is apparent from these results that paramedic education in the use of epinephrine for allergic reactions and anaphylaxis needs to be implemented. We have done that since we collected these data," Dr. El Sanadi noted.

It looks like paramedics are giving the wrong medication when it comes to anaphylaxis. Whaddya all think?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
FYI - Medscape requires a login to view the entire article/study.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I don't see any wrong medications. There is a difference between not being aggressive with epi and an incorrect med. All of the medications listed are indicated in anaphylaxis.

OP
OP
OfficerEvenEMT

OfficerEvenEMT

Forum Crew Member
I don't see any wrong medications. There is a difference between not being aggressive with epi and an incorrect med. All of the medications listed are indicated in anaphylaxis.

It further says:

"Epinephrine is the first treatment — not [diphenhydramine], not steroids — because epinephrine works fast and reverses the anaphylactic reaction in about 30 seconds. [Diphenhydramine] doesn't work for...almost an hour. For some reason, people are afraid to use it, perhaps because it is an injection, but they shouldn't be because it is the treatment of choice. Why wouldn't you use the 30 second drug if a patient is having a life-threatening reaction?"

It seems that the diphenhydramine is the wrong med to use as it takes too long, but epi is the right med to use because it's effect is so quick. Whaddya think?

MediMike

Forum Lieutenant
I'd like to be able to read the whole article, and see what exact determining factors they use to denote "anaphylaxis". Since you have access to it would you mind looking through it and throwing out their criteria?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I've seen benedryl IV work a lot faster than an hour, and epi doesn't reverse the reaction, it staves it off for a little while. We used to use Susphrine to get the fast onset then longer results than regular epi, but if there was an issue or there was too much Susphrine, then we had cauised another problem.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I know a number of areas that have strict protocols for when epi is given /what qualifies as anaphylaxis vs severe allergic reaction. I have heard of a system that required a sys bp of 90 or less for epi to be given regardless of pt presentation and others vitals/signs/symptom. The places I have worked, management/cqi/medical director feel that it is overtreated and that providers are to quick to jump to epi when it is not needed.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Where is that data from? Also, did they define how they qualified anaphylaxis? Maybe some of the cases were borderline and not considered to be immediately life threatening to the medics.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
not considered to be immediately life threatening to the medics.

of course it's not, the patients the one with the problem :)

OP
OP
OfficerEvenEMT

OfficerEvenEMT

Forum Crew Member
The source is:

American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI) 2012 Annual Scientific Meeting: Abstract 58. Presented November 12, 2012.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
How did they determine that the patients met the diagnostic criteria of anaphylaxis initially? Or are they retrospectively looking at diagnosis in ED?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I read the study.

It is deeply flawed, based on protocol and not patient presentation is just one problem.

It will carry no weight in my future clinical decisions or opinions on EMS.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Here's a personal question/scenario: you administer epi to an anaphylaxis case who could not tell you she/he has cardiac contraindications to epi. Now you are looking at an accelerating and increasingly irregular pulse (and the irregularity of which your automated monitor probably can't interpret).

Ok, now what? Are you balancing anaphylaxis tx against arrhythmia tx?

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I read the study.

It is deeply flawed, based on protocol and not patient presentation is just one problem.

Is it indexed anywhere? I just want to read it, but I don't even know the title...

medic417

The Truth Provider
I read the study.

I agree. As with many so called research papers the definition used is based on a persons already preconceived notions.

This would be like saying because a Paramedic told a person they do not need an ambulance yet later the person is admitted to the hospital that the Paramedic was wrong. We all know better than that Most people that are admitted to the hospital need know ambulance. So now if in my perception Paramedics should not be allowed to say no to transport all I have to do to back up my study is say how many patients that the Paramedic said did not need the ambulance ended up hospitalized. The numbers would seem to indicate I was right in saying Paramedics should not make the decision. So obviously while I have numbers to back me my study is flawed big time.

Same with the quoted study

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I read the study.

Good point.

Personally, I'll aggressively give Epi to younger individuals, when it's appropriate.

OP
OP
OfficerEvenEMT

OfficerEvenEMT

Forum Crew Member
They seem to say that Epi should be used immediately when there is a confirmed anaphylaxic issue, but that it is not. Ideas why?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
They seem to say that Epi should be used immediately when there is a confirmed anaphylaxic issue, but that it is not. Ideas why?

Because it is not confirmed in the field.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Here's a personal question/scenario: you administer epi to an anaphylaxis case who could not tell you she/he has cardiac contraindications to epi. Now you are looking at an accelerating and increasingly irregular pulse (and the irregularity of which your automated monitor probably can't interpret).

Ok, now what? Are you balancing anaphylaxis tx against arrhythmia tx?

All of critical care is a balance of competing treatments and interactions.

The simple answer is: Yes.

But there are smarter ways of doing it. Rather than a 1 time SQ or preferably IM bolus, you could use a drip.

If somebody is in extremis, then by all means, fire away. But...

"Don't use a cannon to kill a mosquito."