Paramedics: If you could do it all over again...

EMSrush

Forum Captain
So I've been doing some thinking:

I've been a medic for a commercial ambulance service for nearly two years now, and am enjoying learning the ropes and gaining experience. I realize (after watching people get hurt... struggle financially, etc..) that I probably won't be able to continue this job for the rest of my career. I'm looking to further my education, increase my value and obtain a job that I can eventually retire from with a comfortable income. I had considered obtaining my RN as many medics do, but really, I can't see myself as an RN. While the job stability and pay is great, I just don't think I'd be happy. Most recently, I've been looking into getting my RT (respiratory, not radiology) and am considering doing flight in the interim, once I have enough experience.

I've had many senior people at my company complain about being "stuck in the grind" and give me the "if I could do it all over again" stories. While I'm sympathetic, I am a firm believer in getting up and doing something to change things, if you're not happy. I don't want to become another story of regret, and I think it's time to make a move. I'd love to hear some of your thoughts on going from medic to RT. Would it be a waste to get my RT and continue as a flight medic? Also, to some of the salty dog medics- if you could do it all over again, what, if anything would you have done differently regarding your education/training/job placement? Why?

I'm very open minded at this point- any thoughts and feedback are appreciated. :)

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
If I could do it all over again.

I'd be in med school.

Otherwise, my current path ain't bad. Il make firefighter in January then go back to school for RN->NP->Ph.D NP.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Not a waste and I like you and many other have probably considered or done this in the past. Having your RRT/MICP is a great combo for flight services that do neonatal work.

OP
OP
E

EMSrush

Forum Captain
If I could do it all over again.

I'd be in med school.

Otherwise, my current path ain't bad. Il make firefighter in January then go back to school for RN->NP->Ph.D NP.

Nice :)

I don't have any interest in med school. I feel kinda guilty for that.

Simusid

Forum Captain
I'm 50, and I've been an engineer for almost 30 years. After being in EMS for a mere 3 years I can say that if I could do it over, I quite possibly would be a doctor.

Which is interesting to me because I had a casual conversation some time ago with a Doctor. I told him that I'm a third or 4th generation engineer and wished I'd considered medicine. He said he was a third generation doctor and if he could do it over he'd be an engineer!

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
I don't have much business posting in this thread, but what the heck.

I was told to stay out of EMS because people do tend to get stuck in the "grind". In my eyes this is largely because A) they need the income even if it is just a modicum amount and B) they don't have enough motivation to do something greater and thus more challenging.

There's no reason you can't go from a medic to an RT therapist. In fact you should always shoot high in your goals. Many PA's will say that they wish they had gone into medicine, apparently medics will say this too. This seems to be because they take the shorter, more attainable route and after a lot of blood, sweat, and tears they realize they could have put that same effort and time into the harder and longer path.

A lot of these "if I could go back" stories must be taken with a grain of salt. It's easy to see the mistakes you've made and how much greener the other side of the fence is but there's no real way to say for certain you would have been happier had you chose another route. A paramedic might wish he or she had gone to medical school because they would have more money, prestige, autonomy, and responsibility. A doctor might wish they had chose an entirely different area of work because it's too much stress, too much responsibility, too much of a time commitment, and the pay isn't always as great as people think it is.

Don't go into something without thorough research, extrapolation, and talking to others but most of the time you're better off picking what A) makes you happy and B) has an income you can live on

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I think it is 6 of 1 or 1/2 dozen of the other.

My time in EMS has definately made me a better clinician and given me many skills that doctors usually do not perform.

It has also permitted me to understand the total process from EMS through the ED into surgery and the ICU. There is no part I have not done personaly.

But I was fortunate to have very good teachers and mentors along the way. I also had the opportunity to work some great and some very bad places. But I have learned something at all of them.

I will not rehash the debate on getting into medical school, but I can attest, every doctor I have met that is a former medic seems to know more than their peers, have much better clinical ability, and doesn't seem to suffer from fear of making decisions to initiate action.

On the other hand, it could be argued that that time is more useful as a provider at a higher level, but I have yet to see that hold true anywhere I have been.

If I could do it all again, I might change some details, but all-in-all, I'd do it again.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
If you want to go to med school, do it.

I am thinking about applying after I graduate. The extra classes I need for med school are the same that I need to apply for CRNA school so it's not like I will be wasting time taking classes if I dont get in.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
How many classes would you need to take on top of that degree to be eligable for med school?

I believe NP you just need the BSN.

As much as i would love to be called doctor someday, being an FDNY firefighter is a long time dream that (hopefully) is finally coming true. I don't want to have to give that up for med school. the RN to NP route seems much more progressive and doable for someone working while attending school.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I wouldn't change anything as being a medic has allowed me some nice opportunities and a front row seat to pretty cool calls and events.

I am to the point where I want more knowledge and money. Did the supervisor thing for a year and the stress got old quick. So I'm looking at going to nursing school. In the time it will take to be back into a supervisor position I can be finished with RN and make double the money. With none of the stress.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
It's tough to say, I love being a medic, and I make decent money (at least for being a single 22 year old), but at the same time, I can't see myself having the kind of retirement I want.

So really, if I had to do it all over again, I probably would have gone the BSN route, or perhaps medical school.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Med school. Still very possible in the next couple years.

leoemt

Forum Captain
Me personally I downgraded to become an EMT. I had a very nice job as a police officer and later as a security officer for a very large Government Contractor. While I spent my youth preparing for a career as a cop (I was a police explorer in high school), it took me getting hit by a car (thankfully no injuries) to realize that I didn't want to be a cop.

I made excellent money doing security ($30 / hr) but I wasn't happy. It was impacting my health (I gained 70lbs from all the free food and lack of activity) and the stress of not being happy was turning me into a jerk. I didn't like what I was becoming.

I owned a business for awhile but it wasn't right in this economy. I have always admired EMT's and Paramedics and how they can begin the treatment process with realatively little equipment. While I was never naieve enough to know that medics and EMT's save most lives, I was and still am in awe with how much of an impact they can have.

Even though I make about 1/2 of what I once did, I have no regrets in entering this field. For once in my career I feel as if I have a purpose in going to work. Even if I am nothing more than a smile while transporting someone from a SNF to a clinic. I enjoy learning both the emergent medicene and the chronic conditions that some of my patients have. For example, I never heard of caliphalaxis until one of my regulars educated me in it.

I have aspirations to get my Paramedic after I master the Basic level of care. I don't care to go above that and have no interest in working in a hospital. I enjoy the challenges that ambulance work provides as well as the flexibility. I won't get rich doing it, but I don't care. For me, it is what I truly want to do and I couldn't be happier.

A wise man told me once "your license limits what tools you can use, it doesn't limit the knowledge you can gain. Close your mouth and open your ears."

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm 50, and I've been an engineer for almost 30 years. After being in EMS for a mere 3 years I can say that if I could do it over, I quite possibly would be a doctor.

Which is interesting to me because I had a casual conversation some time ago with a Doctor. I told him that I'm a third or 4th generation engineer and wished I'd considered medicine. He said he was a third generation doctor and if he could do it over he'd be an engineer!

Hah! Same boat as you, albeit 20 years younger. Making steps towards a medical degree...and every doctor I talk to wants to swap places with me into engineering.

Perhaps we can have a big job swap day?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Hah! Same boat as you, albeit 20 years younger. Making steps towards a medical degree...and every doctor I talk to wants to swap places with me into engineering.

Perhaps we can have a big job swap day?

Explains why ur do good with numbers and ECGs :rolleyes:

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
I wouldn't swap doctor for engineering personally unless I really hated being a doctor. You can potentially make more money as an engineer but it's way, way less certain.