Paramedic

TuRu

Forum Ride Along
I am currently an Emt-B and wanted to continuing my education to become a paramedic. How many years should I work as a Emt-b before applying and any suggestions on continuing my education to become a paramedic?

bigdogems

Forum Lieutenant
Your going to have a ton of opinions on this one. Personally I like the idea of at least a year. Even if its for a private doing IFT. You can actually learn alot working for a private if you take the time to do so. I know plenty of people that run straight through and their only pt contacts are what they had in clinicals. I was a basic for a few years doing 911 and IFT in a high volume system before I went to paramedic. Personally I felt it was an advantage because I had a good base knowledge going into class

MedicBender

Forum Captain
When I went through medic school it was easy to pick out the people who had a few years experience and the ones who didn't.

The majority of them struggled quite a bit with assessments and understanding the flow of a call. With more and more clinicals most of them improved, but some just never quite grasped it.

OP
OP
T

TuRu

Forum Ride Along
Required Amount of hours

Does any one know if there is a required amount of hours need in Wa state before your able to apply to medic school?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
My advice? Do what makes you most comfortable. If that's no experience, do it with no experience. If it's 20 years, than take 20 years. However, I question anyone that says one is 'better' than the other.

I finished at the top of my class. Me and the 2 others at the absolute top, all had practically NO EMT experience before starting medic school.

They send you through countless hospital and ambulance ride outs for a reason.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
You're ready, when you know you're ready. I waited a few years, helped me out. I felt confident after 1 year, I felt prepared after 2, and ready after 3.

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
You do know when you're ready. Some people have no problems breezing through all the class they can take. I personally had some field experience in the military before I went to EMT, then EMT experience (more years than I care to admit) before I applied for medic school.

johnmedic

Forum Crew Member
TuRu - In Washington State to be accepted in all programs that I know of, you have to have a current EMT-B or Intermediate cert that has been active for 1year. It does not require you to have been with an agency & practicing for that full year. My opinion, having just finished medic schooling, my internship & the registry exam in WA, is that instead of judging readiness by the length of time certified as an EMT, base your readiness for Medic school off of the quality of calls & amount of experience working with Paramedics.

A volunteer EMT in a nontransporting BLS agency should wait significantly longer than an EMT working fulltime in downtown Tacoma (ALS). Consider the total number of calls experienced into account as well as the scope of practice from BLS to ALS in those calls. So with us responding to your question without knowing about your agency, take the opinions you get with a grain of salt.

Do what you're comfortable with & ask for genuine advice from other medical professionals who know your skill/experience level. I expect they'll give you sound advice!

octoparrot

Forum Probie
I've seen some other posts just like this and its amazing to see all the differences in opinion. I believe that it helped tremendously to get the hang of SOP as emt-b before diving into als. On the other hand, i know lots of docs that went right to medical school knowing squat about prehospital care.

BigBad

Forum Crew Member
The more experience you have the easier it will be for your patients and yourself in the long run. You will be able to get a job a lot easier with previous ambulance experience. How easy do you want it to be?

Sasha

Forum Chief
I am currently an Emt-B and wanted to continuing my education to become a paramedic. How many years should I work as a Emt-b before applying and any suggestions on continuing my education to become a paramedic?

None. Go directly to medic.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Does any one know if there is a required amount of hours need in Wa state before your able to apply to medic school?

Each program is different. Medic One requires 3 years. Tacoma at least one year. I think Central is now accepting medic students with no experience. You'll want to check. Also, programs in Washington are very competitive to get into.

Sent from my iPhone.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Get atleast a year, you can surely tell the difference between people who did and those who did not.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Get atleast a year, you can surely tell the difference between people who did and those who did not.

Try not to make generalizations like that. A lot of the time the only way you can tell the difference is by looking at their resume.

Like others have said, a person is ready when they think they're ready, and to so definitively say that someone needs EMT experience before they can go to medic school is close minded thinking in my opinion. I had zero EMT experience going into medic school and nobody could tell the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Try not to make generalizations like that. A lot of the time the only way you can tell the difference is by looking at their resume.

Like others have said, a person is ready when they think they're ready, and to so definitively say that someone needs EMT experience before they can go to medic school is close minded thinking in my opinion. I had zero EMT experience going into medic school and nobody could tell the difference.

It is not closed minded, it is making a comment based off of my experiences. Also, based off of my experiences a new Medic performs differently in there first year or two depending on how their clinical time in Medic school was structured. If you go through a course where you do 540hrs of an internship where you are running the call and doing every intervention and being graded on every aspect of the call, then your call management is going to be better than someone whose program just required your 540hrs to be ride along time, start an IV here, push a Med there.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Hence the last three words of my statement

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
You could probably get a better response by asking someone who knows you and understands the demands of paramedic school.

A working medic who knows you, your EMT instructors, etc. It's really dependant on the individual in question and the school's curriculum/culture.

Linus didn't need experience.

I needed a year of experience as an EMT to develop my patient contact skills and co-worker integration skills (transitioning from the military to civilian) before feeling comfortable in p-school ~ still working on that last one.

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
I was an EMT for 6 years before I took the plunge and got my LP, It wasn't that I felt I needed the exp before I could move on, I was just doing college full-time and part time as a ff/emt. However, I will say that the extra experience helped when it came to clinicals and MICU rotations as I was confident in my patient contact and not afraid to just get in and do skills for practice, the only mistake you can make is to not try, otherwise you never learn. Honestly though? There were a few in my class who were straight from EMT school and did just fine, its really up to you and how comfortable you would feel.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I had minimal 'experience' before starting medic school / becoming a medic. Anyone want to question my aptitude?

"iPhone using Tapatalk"? Odd...

Yes, I would Linuss...