Paramedic to RN in CA

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
This also varies between states and facilities. I routinely place EJs and lines, we are allowed to needle decompress under our policy (although this is almost always during neonatal resuscitation) and have scrubbed in and placed chest tubes with our Docs, and have on occasion still placed ET tubes in the ED and the Units; when I'm in the field I can act with a full scope of practice under our medical directors.

There is a lot of time I spend feeding kids, changing diapers, educating parents, and all of the other 'nursing' type things. I don't think that this makes me a worse medical provider, nor is this something that is exclusive of paramedics.
This I completely recognize, and why I was simply stating things that that I cannot do at my specific facility, not that I don't know how to do them. Probably one of the most amazing things about being a nurse is that the scope of practice can be quite wide or narrow as needed to fit the role. Those other things you indicated that you do in a "nursing" role also is something that Paramedics would do well to remember too. That's the stuff I was alluding to in a previous post.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
This I completely recognize, and why I was simply stating things that that I cannot do at my specific facility, not that I don't know how to do them. Probably one of the most amazing things about being a nurse is that the scope of practice can be quite wide or narrow as needed to fit the role. Those other things you indicated that you do in a "nursing" role also is something that Paramedics would do well to remember too. That's the stuff I was alluding to in a previous post.

I get you, I more so wanted to comment for any of the browsers less familiar to the critical care nursing role.

I've been asked what my proudest moment in nursing is, and I've said every time it's the daisy nominations. I know I can perform the medical role, but what really makes a difference is the small things that make a huge difference for our families.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
The problem is that most RN’s are NOT “medical care” professionals as a paramedic IS they are “ Comfort Care” professionals (medical intervention is some times a necessary method to provide comfort) they are therefore required to be able to provide comfort to the clientele which is what you’ll learn as a nursing student. For instance; as a paramedic I could care less about a patient’s comfort when there life is in jeopardy which IS the primary role of a paramedic, while a nurse may be in the care of a patient for several days or even years prior to a patients death and comfort is a priority up to that point.
So much to disagree with here. Not medical care professionals? Oh, contrare, mon frere! You speak out of your anus. First, Comfort Care refers to a patient on our floor who is hospice with a DNR. They're on a morphine PCA drip with Ativan Q20M until they stop breathing. Yeah- euthanasia. With our other patients, we're reviewing their labs, EKGs, LOC and telling the providers WTF is going on. Comfort is a secondary/tertiary priority. Please think before you speak. And I started as a medic, am still a medic, and you're wrong.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
I’m working inside the Hot Zone at an ACS. I’m a medic. My BEST moment? When I got the 82 year old Alzheimers pt to eat, just by being patient with him. Then he nacked down every spoonful.
He was discharged COVID free and in better shape, physically and mentally, than when he came in. I used NURSING care, not field medic care, because that’s what was needed. Any “medic” out there who spouts the bs the OP does, needs a slap upside the head.