Paramedic to RN bridge?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Carefull NY, Don't listen to WT to much. I have seen him in action at the american embassy in Riyadh and the breitling watch store. He could sell an icebox to an eskimo. I thought he was a freaking medical director or something when I listened to his big mouth the first time :p

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
It is interesting how moods and attitudes change region to region. In my area there seems to be equal respect for both mid level positions amongst physicians, however if the scale was to tip, it would favor PAs, IMHO.

I have seen the mood towards NPs begin to sour (not in a huge way, but a noticeable way) amongst physicians as nursing makes a transition to DNP. Regardless of how you feel about the title "doctor" in a medical setting, most if not all physicians are steadfastly against nursing using this title in a clinical setting. The position seems to be they don't mind them holding the title, but its use should be limited to physicians in a clinical setting.

This is completely unrelated to education, training etc. however it seems that nursing role creep has chosen the wrong profession to creep on. The AMA isn't messing around on this issue and isn't likely to budge.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Schulzenstein... Here I am in the middle of typing a lovely reply to your PM and I come back to see you outing me to the whole world! When are you on Skype next? I have too much to say to you, and can't fit it in a PM!

Hope all is well... You still hanging around with Dooglas?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
If all goes as planned. I will make it out with my CRNA right before the switch.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
nah man, I am taking a break from the middle east, went back to school to complete an undergrad. I am in Denmark right now as a guest student completing some upper level general ed to transfer to the university back in USA. Anyway i wont hijack the thread any longer. Will send you an email later

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I researched this when I was still interested in nursing also. Don't completely rule out Excelsior as there are very big loop holes. If you want to work in a particular state that does not except Excelsior graduates for initial licensing simply go to any other state that does and get your state card. Work 6 months and then the other states will accept you, at least California does and they are the worst about it.

California will not accept an Excelsior graduate regardless of where they've worked before. It has to do with initial training requirements, and if not met, will not be accepted even if trying to endorse over from another state. California BRN as a dedicated web page addressing Excelsior.

http://www.rn.ca.gov/schools/excelsior.shtml

And here is the statement from Excelsior's site.

All graduates enrolled on or before December 5, 2003 may apply for RN licensure or endorsement.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Thats interesting because I know of 3 graduates in the last 2 years that did Excelsior's program, got initial licensing in Oregon and then applied after 6 months in CA and none had an Issue and all work in Redding, CA now.

OP
OP
N

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm going to call excelsior because I'm honestly pretty confused at the moment.

This is where my girlfriend attends nursing school and the particular link below blatantly relates to excelsior students. But when I called on the phone they explained it as you don't get a BSN, you get an ADN which makes no sense because excelsior already grants you an ADN... And the link says B.S in nursing... Maybe she was mistaken in what she told me, I am trying to schedule a meeting.

http://nursing.adelphi.edu/rn-to-bs-program.php

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Thats interesting because I know of 3 graduates in the last 2 years that did Excelsior's program, got initial licensing in Oregon and then applied after 6 months in CA and none had an Issue and all work in Redding, CA now.

That is interesting. Did they graduate after the after the 2003 date (I think you meant that they did). I've heard of CA BRN taking graduates on a case-by-case basis, but I've always been lead to believe that it's otherwise hopeless.

Regardless, that's cool.

OP
OP
N

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok so I called excelsior and it makes a lot more sense now.

Excelsiors program is ONLY open to people with previous experience as a paramedic, military medic, RT, and something else.

Through excelsior I can do a full BSN but you have to do ADN first as then a second BSN program which you are eligible for after passing the N-CLEX.

They also accept outside transfer credits so I probably won't have to retake things like English and sociology should I go through them.

You can do everything at your own pace and its all based on taking courses learning all material on your own and attending tests at centers in your area.

Seems like a good option... But I have to investigate further.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
That's great to hear Schulz! Drop me a line and we can catch up! I have a feeling we might be pursuing similar paths...

OP
OP
N

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I applied for Excelsior. They have to evaluate my transcript and then I can complete an associates at whatever pace I desire.

Adelphi (the nursing school here) said they will accept the excelsior ADN for their BSN program.

Long way to go, but its a good start hopefully.

For anyone wondering, excelsior is $80 to apply, $1000 to enroll, and then around $300 something per test based credit you take.

You have the option of taking actual courses or self study and taking exams only. (in which they recommend you materials to learn) Courses are much more money.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I applied for Excelsior. They have to evaluate my transcript and then I can complete an associates at whatever pace I desire.

Adelphi (the nursing school here) said they will accept the excelsior ADN for their BSN program.

For anyone wondering, excelsior is $80 to apply, $1000 to enroll, and then around $300 something per test based credit you take.

You have the option of taking actual courses or self study and taking exams only. (in which they recommend you materials to learn) Courses are much more money.

I know of one guy that freaked out and did the excelsior program within 6 months...

Good luck and congratz

OP
OP
N

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I know of one guy that freaked out and did the excelsior program within 6 months...

Good luck and congratz

I'm hoping I get a good 20 credits out of my transcript leaving me only sciences and nursing courses (the ones I enjoy taking)

I'm afraid of the end because the final exam cost $2500... (And apparently it is not easy whatsoever)

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm hoping I get a good 20 credits out of my transcript leaving me only sciences and nursing courses (the ones I enjoy taking)

I'm afraid of the end because the final exam cost $2500... (And apparently it is not easy whatsoever)

I will say this person had his science classes done already. My one recommendation after having done distance and in-class courses, take the science ones in person at a local college if you can. Chem, Micro, and Cadaver labs are so worth the hands-on experience IMO.

dalman97

Forum Crew Member

This is the part that I'm scared of too lol... prepare, prepare, prepare!!! Good luck to you and do let us know how things are going =)

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
that just means you'll be at a disadvantage in getting a job only a few years into your career.

I will eventually go back and get my DNP but if I can space it out I have a better chance of getting it all paid for. Get hired as an MSN and have the hospital pay for the DNP.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief

Wow good luck. I may pm you in a couple of months to see how it goes. Maybe that'll help me decide.