Paramedic Textbook???

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I recently completed the EMT-I/99 course. I want to re-read my textbook but I am thinking that if I am going to do this that I should go ahead and read a Paramedic book to get even more information.

In your experience, what would be the best Paramedic book to purchase?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Mosby publishes one that a friend said wasn't bad when they took their class.

http://www.amazon.com/Mosbys-Parame...53125&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=paramedic+textboo

My class gave us "Paramedic Practice Today" from Aehlert. It sort of sucked. Some of the information doesn't seem right.

Honestly a dedicated anatomy and physiology book would do you better. Understanding behind why something works is more valuable than simply knowing what something does and when to do it.

Brady makes a good book for A&P in emergency care if you don't want to get too crazy on the intensity of your reading. Its a good book. Im sure others can recommend better.

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Physiology-Emergency-Care-Edition/dp/0132342987

The cost of a new text being pretty expensive, I would grab a used copy from someone on the forum for a fraction of the cost if I were you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maine iac

Forum Lieutenant
I thought the Mosby text blew.

They managed to use 100 words to say something that could be said in 10.

Slow, boring reading just because it took so long for a concept to be explained then repeated many times.

Reading something the the Princeton review's paramedic text would probably save much more time then slogging through a 1400 page medic text.

I would take the rest of NYmedic's advice though, and brush up on that stuff.

It's all about the background education and how to apply it to your pt- that's what separates a good provider from a great provider.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
+1 on Mosbys being rubbish.

Just read a real text. There are a few threads here that should point you in the right direction.

Ecgg

Forum Lieutenant
I would suggest new book Paramedic Care: Principles & Practice, (4th Edition) by Bryan E. Bledsoe (Author), Robert S. Porter (Author), Richard A. Cherry (Author).

Mosby book and Nancy Caroline are terrible books. Nancy's probably the worst medic book that I've read.

MadMedic

Forum Probie
Essentials of Paramedic Care (Update) Second Edition. Coverage of new EMS standards. I used this for refresher, and I think it is very complete and easy to read. I recommend this edition due to its updates.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Honestly, I can't stress enough how much I feel like you would be better off just buying a basic medical text.

-So much easier to read.
-So much more interesting.
-A distinct absence of glaring inaccuracies and painful simplifications.
-So much easier to remember when you find yourself actually understanding medical problems rather than struggling through ridiculous simplistic interpretations that don't at all seem to ring true with any experience.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Honestly, I can't stress enough how much I feel like you would be better off just buying a basic medical text.

-So much easier to read.
-So much more interesting.
-A distinct absence of glaring inaccuracies and painful simplifications.
-So much easier to remember when you find yourself actually understanding medical problems rather than struggling through ridiculous simplistic interpretations that don't at all seem to ring true with any experience.

What text would you recommend? Also, how much understanding of basic science would be required to understand such a text? (This may be where a book like this would be lost on many people in medic school in my experience) I'm definitely interested in digging a little deeper into my education, and my paramedic textbooks and class were pretty simplistic and aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Edit: Used the search function and found a list from Vene. If you have any other suggestions (and options to find them cheap) I'd still appreciate it though.

lsmft

Forum Probie
I have the 3rd and 4th edition Mosby's paramedic books. I guess they're not for everyone but I personally think they are fine books, albeit a little bit expensive.

It is more about preference than anything. My advice would be to go to a med schools library or university book store and read through a bit of some different books before blindly committing to buy one.

Although, you can find the 3rd edition of Mosby's dirt cheap now if you look a little.

OP
OP
VirginiaEMT

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I have the 3rd and 4th edition Mosby's paramedic books. I guess they're not for everyone but I personally think they are fine books, albeit a little bit expensive.

It is more about preference than anything. My advice would be to go to a med schools library or university book store and read through a bit of some different books before blindly committing to buy one.

Although, you can find the 3rd edition of Mosby's dirt cheap now if you look a little.

I actually bought the 3rd edition, with workbook, on Ebay for $20.00. I did notice that they use a lot of the same material that I studied in their EMT-I/99 book.

lsmft

Forum Probie
I actually bought the 3rd edition, with workbook, on Ebay for $20.00. I did notice that they use a lot of the same material that I studied in their EMT-I/99 book.

Well, I don't want to rustle and feathers. But the main difference between medic and emt-I is scope. Beyond cardio and drugs there isn't much that's new. So of course a lot of medic books will have what is essentially mostly review.

You might be better off getting some med school level cardio books if you really want to learn the theory. And drugs is mostly just flash card stuff.

edit: I guess diagnostics too, but again, might be better off just getting med school stuff rather than books aimed directly at paramedics.