paramedic school pre-reqs

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
hello all, i was curious, alot of paramedic programs have pre-reqs stating that applicant must have prior EMT experience... generally will they consider military experience good enough? i am a corpsman in the navy, and i am trained to about the EMT-I level. my daily jobs consists of taking care of marines and sailors... giving vaccines, conducting sick call, doing PT assessment, administering meds, dealing with emergencies, giving IVs, and alot more... is considered prior experience, i think so.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I know of very few Paramedic schools that require EMT-Basic experience, but I'm confident that your work in the military would count.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
You should be good to go. My medic school required EMT-B certification, but not experience. I had to pass an EMT-B test to move forward.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
To reflect with the other two responses, most programs I looked into while looking into becoming a medic had the requirement of EMT-B cert only. (didn't need NREMT, just state cert). In order to be in most of the classes you had to take a pre-test. For example in my class I had to take three pre-tests, I had a verbal interview with the director in which he gave me a scenario and I just did a medical assessment (didn't have to hit the points he just wanted to see if I could think and process a situation). Then I had to take a kind of general test which was reading, math, science, etc was about a HS level test. The third test was a 200 question EMT-B exam that was given in addition to our first regular test one month in. Had to pass that test in order to procede.

Some places aren't as thourough as that, one of the programs here gave you a scenario, another gave the pre-test on the HS level like I had. Only one program in probably the eight I looked at required any experience and they wanted you to have one year EMT experience in a 911 system.

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
You will need to have completed an accepted EMT-B class to get into paramedic school. Or at least that's how it is in Michigan.

From speaking to a retired corpsman, his military education was accepted for the EMT-B cirriculum and he was able to test NREMT-B, and then continue on to medic school.

OP
OP
HNcorpsman

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
i dont think thats the case anymore.. i do know that i can take the LPN/LVN test when i get out in CA atleast.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
i dont think thats the case anymore.. i do know that i can take the LPN/LVN test when i get out in CA atleast.
I think I misunderstood your question. It is my understanding that you need to be an EMT-Basic before you can become an EMT-Paramedic. One of the EMT-Basics in my class was actually a corpsman in the military but had to go back to get his official EMT-Basic cert before he could go on to Paramedic.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
A guy I used to work with was a corpsman, when he got out he tried to challenge the tests and they told him he would have to take a full EMT-B course before he would be eligible to test for the state. This may have changed and I've never looked into it for Ky and took his word for it. May be different, just gotta ask around if you don't already have your EMT-B cert.

OP
OP
HNcorpsman

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
c;mon guys... my profile says i am a emt-B/corpsman

yes i am NREMT-B and state certified in AZ

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief

Well you didn't specifically say that in the original post and I learned long ago to not assume anything about anyone on the internet :p

I'm 100% certain that most competent instructors will accept your experience if they require it for Paramedic School.

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief

As was said, we just weren't assuming things. Some military "EMT" schools call themselves "EMT-B" programs, but don't meet the NREMT, or even state requirements. And you'll find many people who introduce themselves as EMTs who are not certified, licensed, etc.

I think you will be fine with the experience thing.

OP
OP
HNcorpsman

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
cool... i was just kidding around with yalll...

thanks for the help