Paramedic School Mega-Codes

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Well, that's a whole separate issue then...

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you have any (advanced) Simulation mannequins (i.e. Laerdal SimMan)?

Endless possibilities (that is if you know how to make scenarios for them)...

Just got home from a tour of our colleges brand spankin new SimLab...very nice! Can't wait to put it to use. It's best feature is the ability to provide audio and visual feedback in the debriefing area. Students can watch their own simulation.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Just got home from a tour of our colleges brand spankin new SimLab...very nice! Can't wait to put it to use. It's best feature is the ability to provide audio and visual feedback in the debriefing area. Students can watch their own simulation.

Yessir, its even better when you forget to them they're being recorded!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I guess that might be on the student. Something as simple as not letting the stupidness of a scenario distract you from being able to perform a megacode skill.[/QUI

Students pay to learn, not put up with ignorant, underskilled instuctors who know less about teaching than they apparently know about what happens out there in the real world working the road. In my experience, the shorter time on the road, the more an instructor pulls this sort of "exercise."

There is plenty of time late in a course and beyond, to apply such thinking on yer feet silliness. First things first; learning to think on one's feet, in a realistic setting. Make it asthma, OD, acute renal, hepatic, etc., a mega-code they might actually encounter. The initial learning process is too valuable to waste. It is a time to teach, to learn, not worry about acting out someone elses idea of fun.

+1000

this post should be a sticky.

Oh and for the record...

I am against advanced simulation technology. It is a complete waste of money in my opinion and definately no substitute for patient contact.

mwmedic

Forum Ride Along
Don't forget scene safe, bsi/ppe, c-spine, and back-up. see if the birds are flying as soon as you get out of the truck!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'm against detailed moulage.

I am in favor of real clinical and field ride-alongs, and detailed closeup realistic photographs starting the first level past basic First Aid.
For exercises on triage and mass patient management, use strap-on moulage and hidden kitchen timers to indicate when they have died.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There's nothing that can replace actual patient contact. I don't see how advanced simulation technology could be a bad thing if it is used as a supplement to pt contact and during the didactic portion of a class.

I will admit, the METI-men are kinda creepy though.