paramedic reciprocity...

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
hello all... as most of you know, i am in the navy and once i get out i will start school and get my AS in para-medicine. since the new GI Bill will pay for my schooling AND will give me a monthly living allowance, i have a couple of options on what schools i want to go to... i can either stay in california and get my AS there, or i can go back to Arizona and get it there... some of the factors are based on school reputation and what jobs i can get while i go to school... but another is what state (either CA or AZ) is easiest the transfer your license to another state VIA reciprocity? for example if i get my CA state cert, will it be easier to transfer to say new york state rather than if i had my AZ state cert? i guess another question to be asking is, which state has a higher scope of practice? or does it really even matter?

basically i want to get my EMT-P then go to either chicago or new york to work in EMS...

firecoins

IFT Puppet
New York does not take national registry. You must certified in a state. If that state NR, than your fine. As long as a state has accepted you, your good.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If a state is an NR state, no one is really more difficult then the other as it's just sending in proof that you're NR, and maybe a test.

People take an online Basic/Medic class here in Texas called "TrainingDivision", where they do everything on line then come to Texas to do clinicals. After that, they take the NR, and go back to whatever state they're from.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
NY won't take someone with just the NR. It must recognized by a state other than NY before NY will accept it.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
I can't say about CA, but AZ has aregressive and restrictive scope of practice. Much of my personal experience is due to the medical director, but the state has some pretty stupid stuff on the books. WI is amazing. I went to school there on the GI bill too and am very grateful. I have a friend starting medic school this fall in AZ at one of the community colleges. I plan to keep my eyes open and will know more about education for paramedics in this part of the state next year. Good luck to you.

OP
OP
HNcorpsman

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
well whatever state i do go to school i will get state certified as well as NR... AZ has a restricted scope EH? didnt know that, how does it compare to CA? and i dont see myself moving to wisconsin for school.. haha... maybe washington... i know the scope there is good.. right?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
My understanding about NYS is that even if you have NatReg and a current out of state cert, you must still complete a challenge refresher, with skills and all.

OP
OP
HNcorpsman

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
nah, not for the INITIAL reciprocity... you do however need to take a refresher class IN new york to get re certified... i know because i got my EMT-B in new york through the reciprocity process from AZ. now its up for my renewal and the wont do it because i need to take a refresher class in new york... i got it because i was thinking about going there to work for FDNY EMS as a EMT-B before i joined the navy.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Yeah, a few months ago I considered working per diem for NSLIJ CEMS in NY on some of my four day breaks as they pay over 30/hr, and gives me a reason to visit home. I'll always be able to challenge back in for life, but it can be a pain as I might potentially fail a section or two, and I need to be present for the state exam and skills stations anyway. A real pain as I live about 270 miles from there. Bus from Arlington to Manhattan is only $50 round trip, though.