Paramedic programs in San Diego

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
well its not the fact i cant afford the tuition, its more of the fact i cant quit working all together for 6 months (or how ever long the program is) i have bills to pay, i unfortunetly cant put them on hold while i go to school..
i have been looking at Crafton hills, but i wont have my A&P done by their deadline. Saddleback college doesn't have a Program till April of next year, and i believe its full time.. like i said before i can only go part time (unless i win the lotto or find a briefcase full of cash)

but i am taking A&P fall semester at saddleback for which i am pretty excited for it though, i feel like i know soo little as an EMT

Are you taking full-on A+P or "A+P for Paramedics"? I ask because I took the medic one and then got to re-take it when my non-Saddleback medic program required real A+P with a lab course.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Are you taking full-on A+P or "A+P for Paramedics"? I ask because I took the medic one and then got to re-take it when my non-Saddleback medic program required real A+P with a lab course.

im gonna take the real A+P with the lab, because i eventually wanna have the pre reqs for nursing school

somePerson

Forum Crew Member
Don't be in a hurry to rush trough medic school. I finished at the end of last year, and there NO JOBS AT ALL in southern cali right now. Only more and more medics coming out and no jobs are opening up, so far my P card is just some pile of crap that takes up room in my wallet.

TommyGavin

Forum Ride Along
You guys are all trippin. Does it really matter where you get your Paramedic Education? I mean if you pass the National, you're a Certified Paramedic, regardless of who gave you or where you got your education.

Did President Abe Lincoln go to a university?

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
You guys are all trippin. Does it really matter where you get your Paramedic Education? I mean if you pass the National, you're a Certified Paramedic, regardless of who gave you or where you got your education.

Yes, yes it does matter where you go to medic school.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
Stay away from NCTI.

...What makes it a mill is the nature of the coursework and educational model in place there. For these proprietary schools, essentially if your check clears you're good to go...it's really hard to "fail" out of said places, and when you compare pass-rates for the course versus the NREMT exam certain questions are raised. You can even get a "private contractor" to be your field internship preceptor at NCTI who can be virtually anyone. A guy I work with is finishing up at NCTI-Riverside and he got his father's good friend at San Bernardino County Fire to be his preceptor...conflict of interest? How fair is that for all the other paramedic students who are at the mercy of their college's official contracted agencies?

I went to NCTI-Riverside are you saying I am a bad medic?

I doubt you have had much experience with NCTI medics as riverside has graduated less than 300 in the last 5 years. yes you probably have run into a few, but there are plenty of :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty medics all over so cal, you can hardly point fingers.

as for their "graduation rate" and their "NREMT pass rate" they have no problem letting students go, they are on par with everyone else i have run into, except crafton hills they are a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: to finish from what i hear. their NREMT pass rate is about 80% first try and 95% total. i would say that is damn good odds.

I can tell you that at the school level they are completely disconnected from AMR and have no influence from them. the majority of the instructors are knowledgeable and motivated to teach. as for your friend being precepted by his daddy's friend, I believe this to be wrong and should not be happening. the school probably does not know as EVE would not let this happen, he told them he wanted to go to RIV City and their EMS capt did the rest. other wise you go where they send you, i was Fortunate and had the best preceptor in the county, but i am biased.

now on to the original question.

Palomar and Southwest both have good reputations, give them a shot. you should also look into Saddle Back if you are in the OC area. NCTI is new, class 2 i believe. they are located in Alvarado hospital, you will have PT rounds and shifts in the ER I believe, other than that i know nothing about them as they opened after I finished medic school in riverside.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Right now in So. Cal medic jobs are almost impossible to get. Your better off going the nursing route. SWC has a good ASN program.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief

Yes, yes it certainly does matter. Be a part of any services hiring process and see the difference between Medics who went to this school or that, or Medics who went to a 11-18 month long program and who went to a 5-6 month program, or a program with a poor reputation. The difference is they don't pass and don't get hired. The NREMTP exam is not a hard exam, and Most all Medics pass, 60% pass their first time, while most of the remaining 40% pass it their second or 3rd.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
does anyone recommend a really good medic school
and how many days a week ?
how long is the course?

I went to EMSTA, I thought it was a great school. And I have been very successful with the Education I recieved from them.(That being said, I was a very hard worker. I didn't party, I studied studied studied, and got nothing below a 90% on test) It is all what you put into it.

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
... It is all what you put into it.

Damn straight!

That's the problem I see with most students out there, they want it handed to them, don't want to put the effort into it.

EMT-B's that are burnt out on BLS, usually turn into failed medic students, or generally poor medics. ALS calls start with the BLS side and move up from there.

you can go to Southwest, Palomar, EMSTA, NCTI, and get a good education.

Look for the curriculum that fits YOU, not anyone else. The hours at NCTI work best for you, jump on it! The Mentor program at EMSTA suits you, go for it... YOU have to do the learning, pick the school that best fits YOUR needs.

For every medic student that fails out, there are a lot that just didn't put the time into study. Regardless of where you go, you sell yourself to the devil for the time you're in school. Any nutless monkey can pass the NREMT, but it is going to take a good student to be a good medic.

Talk to the graduates of the schools you're interested in, not the fails (they're not going to give you unbiased information most the time), and get information on things they felt the school exceeded in, and lacked in, and you'll make the right decision.

-S-