Paramedic or Doctor Of Osteopathic Medicine.

TgerFoxMark

Forum Lieutenant
Im at the point where i need to decide which path is better for me.
Yes, I currently live in the USA.
No I do NOT want to be here. (moving north)
From My viewpoint here, being a Paramedic in the US counts as JACK Sh1T in Canada.
However a D.O. Is a D.O.
I am a basic now. but i need to move on. not for my own sake but for those i live and work with.

Asked the 8Ball, It said Try Again LAter. I need to chose now to get ready.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Any specific reasons why DO and not MD? I'm not trying to turn this into an MD v DO debate and I'll be honest in saying that the two degrees are essentially equal in the United States.

Does Canada grant medical licensure to osteopathic physicians (note: Osteopath outside of the US is more like a chiropracter than an osteopathic physician. This is why some states make a designation between an osteopath and an osteopathic physician)?

Are you able to get into medical school (while I'm not 100% sure with DOs since the stats aren't readibly available (available per school, but not total), only about half of the applicants to MD schools get in)? If not, are you willing to dedicate a few more years to better your application package?

Are you willing and able to dedicate at least 4 years+residency training (3-4 years for US emergency medicine programs)?

OP
OP
TgerFoxMark

TgerFoxMark

Forum Lieutenant
I personally have had a lot of medical issues in my life, myself and those that i hold dear.
Yes, Canada has a Doctor of Oesteopatic Medicine. Which is what i am looking at.
I have been to both MD's and DO's
What i tend to see is that the MD is usally focused on just the problem. The DO is more lets fix the problem, but what caused it and how can we keep it from happening again.

To sum that up, The MD is focused on just the issue. and the DO treats te body as a whole.

My other reason for DO is when younger, (teens) i had quite a few issues, and my family took me to an MD. and it was PILLS PILLS PILLS and MORE PILLS.
He is in my head responsable for me not remembering anything from 16-18, he had me so drugged up. Moved out on my own at 18, ok... i got kicked out with nothing more than what i had on me and in my car. (LOONG STORY THERE) by my father.
Moved to Indianapolis, but needed to find a doctor locally, ended up with a DO. Never have i been in better shape and health.

Also factoring in is the fact that it transfers up north, and a paramedic down here is worthless up there. The system is MUCH more advanced. (lowest guy on the rig can run I.V. and do push meds reserved for the -P here.)

In Ontario, Its Paramedic Classes 1, 2, and 3.
Yes, i qualify for medical school.
I am MORE than willing to put forth the time to help more people in the long run.
(medical conditions in Immediate family, the Lowest level being sleep apena, I took the time to learn the equipment for resp. tech work better than most techs. {can program ANY CPAP, BiPAP, or APAP from memory} Its something that has served me well with my SO's machine breaking on a holiday out of country. i was able to repair it and reset the program.
No I do not have the CASH up front tho. (being poor sucks)
My doctor here moved from Ontario, and he is kinda the one pushing me that way. (family ties)
I LOVE EMS, but i feel that even if i go to Paramedic, i could still help more people with better training.
Honestly, I wonder if i would be able to work as both somehow. Like a Level above a Medic. *shrugs*

JPINFV

Gadfly
Cool. I'm asking because making it into medical school isn't easy, even with decent stats and the time difference is huge, even comparing Canadian paramedic to medical school. I get to have fun with AMCAS and AACOMAS again this year.
Honestly, I wonder if i would be able to work as both somehow. Like a Level above a Medic. *shrugs*

While I'm not sure about Canada, there are a hand full of places that use physician (a lot of times residents though) in a prehospital provider role.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It all depends upon your goals. I agree there is not much difference between MD and DO's, as in my area traditional osteopathic is no longer taught at osteopathic medical school. In fact it is harder to get in DO school than the MD school.

Comparing Paramedic and DO is not really even fair. Being a physician is much more than just being able to treat patients. Although, I agree that Paramedic education is very poor in U.S. versus Canada's the job description and objectives are the same. One can obtain as much in-depth as they want to in the U.S., although it will be upon that individual.

There is nothing wrong wanting to be a physician (osteopathic or medical) however; I believe you really need to be objective about any medical school. Although, it might seem mute, have you really considered the short term dedication? You say you "qualify'? Have you finished all your pre-med requirements, MCAT, etc.? There is a lot of difference between "wanting" and "being able" to attend. It also takes more than just being smart. If that was the case, medical school would be full, as well as many would be exiting out. Getting into medical school is much more than having a good GPA. I know of many with great MCAT scores, and a perfect GPA, that have been passed over several times.

Realize that for the next 10-15 years you will have no life except for academia. I wished I had a nickel for every ......"I want to be a Dr." ... I have met in EMS. I could retire and be rich. Not that you cannot, rather it is more demanding emotionally, financially, physically than most realize. I personally was accepted to both a DO & MD but declined due that I did not want the financial burden at my age of paying off student and start up loans until I was elderly. As well, 9/10 physicians I discussed would not have repeated medical school, rather had went into another position in medicine or vocation.

Have you considered P.A. school as an alternative? This is an excellent profession, and definitely needed in most areas. Ability to provide care, as you described, and without the residency requirements.

I wish you good luck..

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

Short Bus

Forum Crew Member
I would also look into the PA/NP route. Not sure if it will cross the border, but I would much rather do that than be an MD. Money is close, you get to do most of what a Doc does, but you also have things to fall back on. I see that as the step above Paramedic. A medic already does most of what an RT, RN, CMA, as well as others do. That is the path I would look into. ;)

BruceD

Forum Lieutenant
Im at the point where i need to decide which path is better for me.
Yes, I currently live in the USA.
No I do NOT want to be here. (moving north)
From My viewpoint here, being a Paramedic in the US counts as JACK Sh1T in Canada.
However a D.O. Is a D.O.
I am a basic now. but i need to move on. not for my own sake but for those i live and work with.

Asked the 8Ball, It said Try Again LAter. I need to chose now to get ready.

Perhaps, you should check out reimbursement for both professions north of the border if you really wish to move up there. ( http://secure.cihi.ca/cihiweb/dispPage.jsp?cw_page=AR_82_E )

Realistically expect to owe $200,000 upon graduating an MD school and probably $250,000 from an osteopathic school (unless you have rich parents) in America, additionally there will be lost income from not being able to work for the first 4 years (school) and then low pay for 3+ years (residency).

Also, I'm not sure what hoops you'll need to jump through, but there will be mucho paperwork to get practice rights outside of the country you earned your degree in. (DO)

Not trying to change your mind, just pointing out some very important information to consider.

Best of luck
-B