Paramedic jobs in Northern Ca Bay Area

D Brim

Forum Probie
I'm new to the greater San Francisco Bay Area and looking for insight about "good" jobs for paramedics around here. I'm interested in any paramedic jobs that would offer the quality of life benefits that, I believe, most of us recognize as being valuable in this field: e.g. competitive pay/benefits, good management employee relations, primary 911 responder in system, system status/schedule type that allows you to retain your sanity, etc.

I have experience as a primary 911 provider and EMS instructor. Feel free to check out my linkedin if you care to: douglas brim on linkedin. I'd be interested in any jobs or organizations that people feel like are "good" places to work, whether that is; ambulance, single function FD paramedic, in-hospital, helicopter, teaching, clinical coordinator, EMSA, etc.

Thanks in advance for any tips

Angel

Paramedic
I don't think a single place will have all the qualities you look for. But to get you started there is rural metro, paramedics plus, amr (including contra costa county) and San Francisco fire.
Medic ambulance in Solano, but that may be a little far for you.
Each company has its pros and cons

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Where are you living and how far are you willing to commute?

If you want 24 hour shifts then AMR Santa Cruz is where you want to be. Management, county, and employee relationships are decent. No EMTs in the county it's all dual medic.

Paramedics Plus in Alameda County, Rural Metro in Santa Clara County, and AMR in San Mateo County are all 1 on 1 systems that primarily run 12 hour cars . Schedules vary but the pay is decent for all these counties.

The pay isn't great but if you can get on with AMR San Benito county you have a shot at a 48/96 schedule(two days on, four off) with a great cast of co workers and a call volume that won't drive you insane.

Those would be where I would start personally. The best paying gigs in the area are with Fire Departments of course but prepare to get in line with thousands of others for those whenever they open up.

OP
OP
D Brim

D Brim

Forum Probie
Thanks both. That's tons of great information Angel, really appreciate it. Really appreciate the recommendation BeachMedic. Santa Cruz isn't all that bad for a 24, do you know what type of shift the do: day on day off, 48's and 72's? I'm surprised to see that even at the private ambulance companies they are not flying many full-time positions. Thanks again to both of you. Really helped me direct my search.

Angel

Paramedic
From what I know of Amr, they'll only hire part time I believe it's due to being union, but (from what I'm told) won't stop you from working 60hrs a week if you want. Just no benefits until a FT spot opens up, and is filled by seniority.