Paramedic jobs at San Diego AMR

Surf831

Forum Probie
I just went down to San Diego and took the written test for SD AMR. I scored an 88%.

Does anyone know when they are going to be hiring for paramedics again?

The guy that gave me the test said they usually have a new hire orientation every month!

Also the medic test was a lot of BLS and the last part was ALS questions.

Thanks

laelani

Forum Ride Along
There seems to be a bit of a waiting list for AMR SD :(

OP
OP
S

Surf831

Forum Probie
EMSpursuit, I'm not sure what medics make down there but I heard it's not that much, but the way I look at it is that people are probably leaving for better paying locations so that means more jobs. lol

OP
OP
S

Surf831

Forum Probie
Right on, ya well hopefully some medic slots open down there, when did your buddies take their written test?

laelani

Forum Ride Along
Somewhere within the last 2 months. Alot of them are working for BLS until a Medic job opens

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Iirc, my old partner got hired starting around 11 as a medic.

almostmedic

Forum Ride Along
Ive been on the "hire list" after passing the written/skills/interview for about 2 months now. Everyone I talk to down there says the hire list is pretty long because fire hasn't been hiring for so long. It sounds like san diego might be putting through 2 full academies so hopefully there will be some movement.

surfinluke

Forum Crew Member
Just put in an app and took the written at AMR-SD and figured I would just use the same thread. Anyone know any updated info about the waiting list or just hurry up and wait?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
If I apply (and get hired) as an EMT-B in San Diego AMR, would I be on a BLS IFT only rig? Or partnered with a medic on a 911 ALS rig? Somewhere in between?

Are the AMR medics in charge of a 911 medical scene? Or is FD? How is the San Diego County/City 911 system set up? I'm in LA Co, so I know here FD ALS always responds and is always in charge. And who else besides AMR and R/M run 911 in the county?

I know, lots of questions, but thanks in advance if you can answer any of them! :)

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
You will not be on ALS, those are dual medic. Fire is not in charge especially in certain cities like Chula Vista where they are just getting ALS back in the fire side. That being said, when you work as a private and interact with employees of the city you contract for (fire) you generally show respect.