paramedic course assignment.. hellpp

Sera

Forum Probie
Alright so we have a "take home" multiple choice exam that's due tomorow. I am pretty much finished.. except for there are a few that i was stillunsure about.

At 0300 your two person ambulance crew is called to the scene of a "motorist down in his vehicle". The vehicle is on a dark stretch of highway. As you arrive at the scene, you are unable to see anyone in the vehicle and suspect that he may of abandoned his vehicle. As you approach the scene, you park the emergency response vehicle behind the abandoned vehicle to block traffic.

31. Before leaving your emergency response vehicle to approach the other vehicle, how should you set the lighting of your emergency response vehicle?
a) All interior and exterior lights in the "off" position
b) All exterior (scene) lights on and the interior of the other vehicle illuminated
c) All exterior (scene) lights off and the interior of the other vehicle illuminated
d) All exterior (scene) lights on and the interior of the other left as it was before your arrival at the scene.

OP
OP
Sera

Sera

Forum Probie
haha sorry.. but here's another one that I have no idea about. We've learnt nothing about "upwind, downhill". Can't find it anywhere... any help would be appreciated =)

Your ambulance crew is called to assist at a hazardous materials incident. A fire occured at a pesticide distribution warehousr, and chemical containers have been comprimised

As you map your route to the scene, you should attempt to approach
a) upwind and uphill
b) upwind and downhill
c) downwind and uphill
d) downfind and downhill

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Sera said:
haha sorry.. but here's another one that I have no idea about. We've learnt nothing about "upwind, downhill". Can't find it anywhere... any help would be appreciated =)

Your ambulance crew is called to assist at a hazardous materials incident. A fire occured at a pesticide distribution warehousr, and chemical containers have been comprimised

As you map your route to the scene, you should attempt to approach
a) upwind and uphill
b) upwind and downhill
c) downwind and uphill
d) downfind and downhill
You'd want to approach upwind, so the fumes don't reach you, and uphill, so any toxic materials would not contaminate your ambulance or unit.

I would leave all of my exterior lights on, and I would not attempt to turn on any lights in the other vehicle. I'd use whatever lighting I had, whether it be headlights or a flashlight to illuminate the scene.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
On the first one, before you leave YOUR vehicle make sure all of your scene lights are on and you can see into the interior of the other vechicle. This allows you to see into the vehicle before getting to it. And if the patient is up to no good, you may be able to see it sooner.

Second one... you want to park upwind and uphill.

HorseHauler

Forum Lieutenant
I say
D

A

Although a little confused about answer B in first one. Illuminate the other vehicle with the squads scene lights? or the other vehicle lights?

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Upwind and uphill!

That question was actually on my National Registry exam.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Alright so we have a "take home" multiple choice exam that's due tomorow. I am pretty much finished.. except for there are a few that i was stillunsure about.

At 0300 your two person ambulance crew is called to the scene of a "motorist down in his vehicle". The vehicle is on a dark stretch of highway. As you arrive at the scene, you are unable to see anyone in the vehicle and suspect that he may of abandoned his vehicle. As you approach the scene, you park the emergency response vehicle behind the abandoned vehicle to block traffic.

31. Before leaving your emergency response vehicle to approach the other vehicle, how should you set the lighting of your emergency response vehicle?
a) All interior and exterior lights in the "off" position
b) All exterior (scene) lights on and the interior of the other vehicle illuminated
c) All exterior (scene) lights off and the interior of the other vehicle illuminated
d) All exterior (scene) lights on and the interior of the other left as it was before your arrival at the scene.
reading the question, it sounds like you are still in the rig... I think it is asking if you should use an alley light or a-post spot to "light up" the interior of the dark vehicle.... If that is the question... then turn your scene lights on and the spot on.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Upwind and uphill!

That question was actually on my National Registry exam.
Ethyl Methyl Bad Stuff - stay upwind (wind at your back, blowing TOWARD the scene) and uphill... fumes and liquids have a harder time reaching you.