Paramedic Continuing Education

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Man, that's generous.
I've never worked for an agency that took care of my NREMT recert for me. Sweet deal.
I mean its in your agencies best interest. If you dont recert then they lose a medic. Not like people are banging the doors down to do this job. My department also starts hounding us 6months out

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I mean its in your agencies best interest. If you dont recert then they lose a medic. Not like people are banging the doors down to do this job. My department also starts hounding us 6months out
It was mando, but it was all on you.
While I agree with what you’re saying, I think their interests are their pocket books. We can all agree that most private agencies are only interested in that billable chart.

Emily Starton

Forum Lieutenant
This one gives me a headache lol! I never really figured it out

badger1234

Forum Ride Along
Does anyone understand how the assignment to different course topics works? I am a little confused on how we know what component and course topic to assign different classes to. I was thinking about using the JBLearning platform as I can import CAPCE credit classes in, but things like a PALS recertification does not tell you what specific course components to apply it to. Is there a maximum? I tried to apply my whole PALS to the cardiovascular course topic, as it says on the grid provided for NCCP 2016 that it is pediatric cardiac arrest and can be applied, but it says that applying my whole 5.75 hours will "exceed the maximum". Anyone have any tips? This will be my first time recertifying.
Did you ever figure out an answer to this? I too, have no idea how to divvy up CE hours. For my 8 PALS CE hours for example, how does one determine # of hours and to which subsections in the National and Local sections for example. Is there a "key" I am missing?

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Did you ever figure out an answer to this? I too, have no idea how to divvy up CE hours. For my 8 PALS CE hours for example, how does one determine # of hours and to which subsections in the National and Local sections for example. Is there a "key" I am missing?
There is.

Go to the NREMT website.

Check out the Paramedic Recertification Guide.

See page 15. There's a matrix. That should tell you everything you need to know.

The "Individual" component can pretty much be any medical related CE. "Local" is often your locally taught stuff. For example, our Local EMS Authority that credentials us has 3 or 4 modules a year for CEs. Those are perfect for that category.

The "national" component can easily be filled up with the NAEMT or AHA card classes. Thing is, the matrix is actually *really* flexible and that in itself can be confusing. I can use my ACLS to cover some hours in Cardiovascular but also use my BLS renewal hours too. Good example is that BLS will cover the hours for Ventilation & Oxygenation, but not Capnography. So you use 1 hour from ACLS to cover Capnography and you're all set.
The leftover hours can be applied to other categories.

:)

badger1234

Forum Ride Along
There is.

Go to the NREMT website.

Check out the Paramedic Recertification Guide.

See page 15. There's a matrix. That should tell you everything you need to know.

The "Individual" component can pretty much be any medical related CE. "Local" is often your locally taught stuff. For example, our Local EMS Authority that credentials us has 3 or 4 modules a year for CEs. Those are perfect for that category.

The "national" component can easily be filled up with the NAEMT or AHA card classes. Thing is, the matrix is actually *really* flexible and that in itself can be confusing. I can use my ACLS to cover some hours in Cardiovascular but also use my BLS renewal hours too. Good example is that BLS will cover the hours for Ventilation & Oxygenation, but not Capnography. So you use 1 hour from ACLS to cover Capnography and you're all set.
The leftover hours can be applied to other categories.

:)
Thanks...specifically looking at the chart, you see where there is only one check in the VADs row in Cardiology? It falls under the AMLS/Empact certificate column...Question: Is it fair to say that NO paramedic can re-certify without the AMLS or EMPACT cert because there is no other card that satisfies VADs?

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Thanks...specifically looking at the chart, you see where there is only one check in the VADs row in Cardiology? It falls under the AMLS/Empact certificate column...Question: Is it fair to say that NO paramedic can re-certify without the AMLS or EMPACT cert because there is no other card that satisfies VADs?
If all you did was the card classes, then that would be a fair statement. However, it's only an example in this case. The matrix shows you how the card classes can satisfy many of the requirements. For those that are leftover, like that silly "Infectious Disease" one, can be found elsewhere. I used to take that one as a free 1 hour CE from Air Evac.

This is where things like Prodigy EMS, career-cert, ems-ce, and whoever else you find will fill the gaps. :)

badger1234

Forum Ride Along
ok I see so things like Prodigy for example, would cover VADS even though my certs technically do not. I think I see. Honestly though, this entire process of re-certifying has literally required more brain power than becoming a paramedic in the first place. I bet more than a few people give up on this process they make it so unclear. Thanks for your help.