Other names for ER Tech?

guardwantsmore

Forum Ride Along
All I know is...I'm looking for a job to get out of lifeguarding so I practice the things I've been taught...and every hospital I look at is looking for a "licensed" CNA...MUST BE A CNA...with license...so...even if you're an EMT...you have to "back down" to meet the requirements.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
All I know is...I'm looking for a job to get out of lifeguarding so I practice the things I've been taught...and every hospital I look at is looking for a "licensed" CNA...MUST BE A CNA...with license...so...even if you're an EMT...you have to "back down" to meet the requirements.

Back down?? I doubt that. You want to work in a hospital, right? Then you may have to learn more about different aspects of patient care. EMT is only a 110 hour course with very little patient contact required in the clinicals. CNA involves almost all patient contact. Many EMT-Bs do not even learn how to effectively communicate with a patient except for the "script" provided with some alphabet letters attached.

There will be many aspects of care that you will not have done but the CNA may already be trained for such as phlebotomy, 12-leads, monitoring I&Os, dressing change and advancing splinting or traction assistance, carefully working around numerous IVs and airways, moving spinal and bariatric patients with various hospital devices etc.

Hastings

Noobie
I tried to start in the hospital as an ER tech, but I found that they wanted medic training at the least, and once I was a paramedic, well, I wanted to be a paramedic, not an ER Tech. I wish you luck in your search. It's a good gig if you can get it.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief

Gee, see a trend do you. Perhaps there is a reason that a Certified Nurse Assistant is preferred over an EMT. Most CNA's know their role in health care delivery. Apparently you don't. As Vent said, CNA is not a "back down" from EMT, lay public is the only qualifying title for that..................

Learn young grasshopper.......

dadotwins

Forum Crew Member
I'm an EMT working in an ER. My title is ER liaison. Not your typical ERT gig. I operate more as a public relations tech. I work with the triage department and become a first line of treatment for certian traumas and medical complaints. So I am able to help cut down door to treatment times on some things. I'm allowed to bypass triage if my EMT instincts tells me a walk in patient reqiures more that triaging. Like one had commented,I see more,move faster and have learned more than by JUST working our little EMS.

Last edited by a moderator:

JELM99

Forum Probie
I work as a Tech. We started working as patient care tech, we helped out and provided whatever the patient needed, and what the nurses din't want to do. Splinted with ortho-glass, done EKG's, charted vitals, moved patients from ER to the units up stairs, make the sweet old ladies smile. For the past few months they have thrown us behind a desk due to construction to the ER, and a redirection of the entrance. We are now first point of contact, and initial stage of triage. Not bad, but it was a little more exciting in the back. EMS bypasses us, but we get the toothaches that think they cannot, and should not have to wait to see the doc, and the migraines that are crying. The pay here is reasonable, but not great.

Last edited by a moderator: