Online PALS course?

blachatch

Forum Lieutenant
Does anyone know anything about the online PALS courses? Do most agencies accept this due to the fact it is an all online course? This was not offered to us in medic school and want to get this done ASAP so I can start applying for jobs.

Thanks

polisciaggie

Forum Crew Member
From what I understand you do the didactic part online and meet with a PALS instructor for the skill section.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Just try to find an in person class. It will be way easier in the long run to knock it out in person over a weekend or day. I did PALS just outside of Detroit, MI. They have about one class a week, and the entire PALS course lasted less than 8 hours. Walked out with my card in hand.

Most online courses you see online are NOT AHA certs.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
if you want AHA PALS, you can only do the classroom/cognitive portion online. If you choose this method its called HeartCode, same with ACLS. http://www.onlineaha.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=info.pals

However, after taking the class online, you must find a testing center near you to get checked off on the psychomotor/skills stations portion.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
I just want to to reiterate what Expat said. If you do an online PALS course through AHA, you must complete a second portion, in person, with an AHA certified instructor.

Be aware, any course that is 100% online is not from the AHA. It may say that they follow the current AHA guidelines, but they are not giving you a certification from the AHA. The AHA has been very adamant that any ALS course must maintain a didactic component in order for students to get anywhere close to being considered "competent."

I would take one in person if I were you.

Brevi

Forum Crew Member
If it is an accredited course, you will only be doing your didactic online, practicum and testing will be done in a conventional classroom setting, and your card will be identical to those who took a conventional, classroom based course.

Don't sign up for a 100% online class though, you will just lose your money.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The testing center where I am an instructor schedules "test outs" every month for people taking online classes. For ACLS and PALS recerts, it's quick and easy.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
hey DE(or anyone), what about instructor certification? I am a little confused by what the AHA website states. I have the AHA provider card, then I must take the online instructor course, then I am a little confused about what else needs to happen other than being monitored teaching 2 classes? Is it mandatory to be affiliated with a training center for certification?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yep. The TC is the issuing agency that provides cards and the back end paperwork. You can change TCs when you're an instructor... But you've got to be affiliated to be able to issue cards.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
and by affiliated, does this mean employed /adjunct faculty of the training institute issuing the card? Or can anyone with an PALScard off the street walk into any training center and become affiliated by paying for the instructor certification and being monitored teaching 2 classes?

Last edited by a moderator:

Brevi

Forum Crew Member
and by affiliated, does this mean employed /adjunct faculty of the training institute issuing the card? Or can anyone with an ACLS card off the street walk into any training center and become affiliated by paying for the instructor certification and being monitored teaching 2 classes?

The TC has to be accepting new instructors. An affiliation is exactly that, just an affiliation, not employment. The affiliation is often called alignment. When you align with a TC, they provide you with certification cards, exams and answer sheets. You send them a copy of the class roster and exams, and they serve as kind of the middleman between independent instructors and the AHA.

Basically anyone with an instructor cert can align with a training center, how you do so varies with each indivdual TC.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
The TC has to be accepting new instructors. An affiliation is exactly that, just an affiliation, not employment. The affiliation is often called alignment. When you align with a TC, they provide you with certification cards, exams and answer sheets. You send them a copy of the class roster and exams, and they serve as kind of the middleman between independent instructors and the AHA.

Basically anyone with an instructor cert can align with a training center, how you do so varies with each indivdual TC.

Ok thanks that clears up a lot of my confusion.