Online EMT in AZ

MunchkinMedic

Forum Crew Member
So long story short

I had my EMT in CA from 2004-2012 and became a paramedic in 2011 I believe and it expired in 2017. I also had NREMT for both but let them go because I had never planned on moving. Life circumstances happened and due to health I stopped working September of 2015. Things have improved somewhat, and I am interested in getting my EMT & Paramedic licenses back. I figured that I’m going to have to start from scratch though. I currently live in the Phoenix metro area, but have the option to go to El Paso, TX if need be for school. I’m not really sure what to do from here or what my next steps should be. Any and all advice would be appreciated!

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Well, if ever there was a case that would get my support for an online, accelerated, or both EMT course, this is going to be the one.

I would find the cheapest, easiest, best scheduled, or populated by the best looking(insert your fancy here) EMT school available and bang it out. You don’t need(I hope) to be taught about the path of an RBC. You just need to sweep the dust off, learn whatever has changed(which won’t be much) that you didn’t already learn either in medic school or working as a medic, and accumulate ~150hrs worth of rosters with your signature on them. Get through that part with as little pain and friction as possible, because you’re about to do medic school again, and that’s an ugly proposition.

While the rest of your classmates are sweating oxygenation v ventilation, you need to be finding a medic school. Here’s where it gets tricky. You could go the same route, I’m Just here for the credit ma’am, in which case you want a cheap no frills school; but two years in a fair amount of time. Perhaps it would be worth doing medic school all over, for real, to get back into the swing of things. That’s going to be on you to decide.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Copied off of the NREMT website... this is for your p-card if you're interested in renewing it... this is for certs that are lapsed by more than 2 years.

Entry and/or re-entry into the National Registry may be granted to a previously state licensed or Nationally Certified Paramedic (NRP) provided you:

1. Officially document completion of a DOT Paramedic (NRP) Training Program after January 1, 1977. *
  2. Show satisfactory evidence to the National Registry of prior state licensure at the Paramedic (NRP) level.
  3. Have current ACLS provider or instructor credential.
  4. Completed either PHTLS or ITLS as a provider or instructor within the past two (2) years.
  5. Have completed a state-approved Paramedic (NRP) refresher; or 48 hours of equivalent continuing education covering the mandatory and flexible core content topics specified; or the NCCP National Component module, within the past two years.
  6. Have a letter of approval from the state EMS office in the state where you work or are to work. The letter should show the state's support for you to obtain state licensure through this process.
  7. Successfully complete the National Registry Paramedic (NRP) cognitive and psychomotor examinations.
* All candidates for National Registry’s National EMS Certification at the Paramedic level whose Paramedic program began on or after January 1, 2013 must have successfully completed Paramedic education from an accredited program sponsored by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or one who held a valid Letter of Review (LOR) issued by the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).