One Dead, 15 Hospitalized Due To Mystery Illness

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
One Dead, 15 Hospitalized Due To Mystery Illness

TROY, Mich. -- One man has died and 15 others are hospitalized after a mysterious illness spreads to residents of an assisted-living facility in Troy.

Harry Mittell, 85, a resident at the Alterra Clare Bridge memory care residences on Northfield Parkway, died after suffering from a mysterious illness. It was initially reported that the deceased resident was a 100-year-old man, but the Oakland County Medical Examiner later reported the man's correct age.

Fifteen other residents at the facility were taken to local hospitals to be treated for similar symptoms.

Eleven residents, ages 75 to 90, were taken to Royal Oak Beaumont to be treated; three residents, 82 to 86, were taken to Beaumont in Troy; and one man in his 80s was admitted to Crittenton Hospital Medical Center in Rochester.

Paramedics wore biohazard suits as a precaution as they placed residents into ambulances.

[Read More!]

This happened one week after all our units were trained in full Biohazard suits and Mark 1 kits.

Here is a neat image gallery where you can see our PFR (Tahoe) Unit, BLS (Van) units, and larger ALS units.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
We were called here for a cardiac arrest. When we arrived, it was quite obvious that he had been deceased for some time," said Abbey Gilhool, a paramedic.

Funny, that seems to be a theme with nursing homes. That, and calling in for "difficulty breathing"... and when you get there the pt is in respiratory failure and there's an "assistant" just staring at them.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
PS - Are you one of the marshmallows in the pictures, Matt???

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Dec 10 2004, 11:23 AM
PS - Are you one of the marshmallows in the pictures, Matt???
LOL,

Nope. I was at school (An hour and a half away) sleeping after pulling two all-nighers in a row.

Those suits were part of our government-issued terrorism response kits. All of our units just finished practicing using them a week prior. We have a huge hood with battery operated oxygen filter "machine" too, but they did not feel as though it was needed.

After going into work yesterday and talking with the crews, I don't want to break any HIPAA, but it is my understanding that were were some pretty "bad" scenes inside the facility.

Fortunately for us it was only the norovirus, but our units, the NH's staff, and med control decided it would be best to take full precautions.

Another day in EMS I guess :)