Old ems text books and stuff

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I would love to buy and read some older ems books from the 70's and 80's. Any ideas or suggestions? I have an older EMT book from the 80's and it's neat because of the old school words and procedures. Also, if you know any outdated medical/rescue procedures or slang from back in the day, please share it with us.

One more random question. We stopped giving cardiac arrest pts D5W and instead we give them NSS. I think this is because cardiac arrest pts tend to be hyperglycemic. Scientifically speaking, why is this?

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Guardian said:
I would love to buy and read some older ems books from the 70's and 80's. Any ideas or suggestions? I have an older EMT book from the 80's and it's neat because of the old school words and procedures. Also, if you know any outdated medical/rescue procedures or slang from back in the day, please share it with us.

One more random question. We stopped giving cardiac arrest pts D5W and instead we give them NSS. I think this is because cardiac arrest pts tend to be hyperglycemic. Scientifically speaking, why is this?

Are you asking the "why" the change form D5W to NS during a code? If so, the reason I was given a long time ago was the NS would stay in the vascular space longer than D5 "possibly helping " with perfusion. PLuse D% doesn't "mix" well with others. :)

But obviously since the 2005 AHA Guidelines have been released we realized good CPR is the best way to increase perfusion :)

I am sure Rid will have a better response. I got my medic in 92...........Rid got his when they were still responding on horseback. :) :)

OP
OP
G

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
DT4EMS said:
Are you asking the "why" the change form D5W to NS during a code? If so, the reason I was given a long time ago was the NS would stay in the vascular space longer than D5 "possibly helping " with perfusion. PLuse D% doesn't "mix" well with others. :)

But obviously since the 2005 AHA Guidelines have been released we realized good CPR is the best way to increase perfusion :)

I am sure Rid will have a better response. I got my medic in 92...........Rid got his when they were still responding on horseback. :) :)

Thanks for your response, it sounds reasonable. I thought I remembered a paramedic instructor of mine commenting on BGL during cardiac arrest and tying in back to D5W but then again sometimes I just dream this stuff up on my own.

As for Rid, his expertise is unquestioned. This ems forum is a great resource for me. Instead of having to research for hours and analyze information to answer a question, all I have to do is write it here and wait for Rid to answer it for me :)