Oil Spill

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Is anyone working support for the oil spill clean up in Louisiana? I got an email about volunteering and had a few questions. If you might be able to help, I'd appreciate a PM. Thanks!

webster44

Forum Crew Member
I dont have that much info but i'll give you what I know

Acadian ambulance is running most of the standby in Louisiana. possibly MS and AL too....

Acadian also handles the offshore stuff. They send out a basic with a jump bag on the oil skimmers.

I have seen urgent emails going out within EMS groups in the gulf south looking for medics for jobs within the next day or so.

In terms of volunteering - Don't bother. BP is responsible and they should pay you for your time. Additionally, if you do want to volunteer it will most likely be shoveling sand(not washing off birds like in the pictures) Its also not worth it for most agency's to train you to volunteer unless you are interested in sticking around for a bit(BP has training requirements dealing with hazmat)

I've talked to people working the spill as EMT's. I forgot the exact number but they are getting paid much better then usual.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
AMR, actually, has a direct contract with BP to provide medical standby at the clean up sites.

I'm signed up to do it, and I'll be going once the couple people in front of me go.

They pay for food and hotel, along with pay.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Dang wish I lived down that way I'd like to help out but neither of those companies are from around here.