Ohio ems?

Eliptic

Forum Ride Along
I have recently finished the emt basic course in which I did very well in
And I have passed the registry and am currently carrying my nremt and state cards. So here is my delima, I recently started working for a private ems transport company and it is far from even being decent. For starters, I was hired as an emt-b yet all they will let me do is drive the ambulette of which is a 98 ram 3500 van that is rusted out and I'm almost certain ready to tank out. I make $8.00 hr, no benefits and work 6 days a week where every other day is a run at 0430 so a sleep schedule is next to impossible lol! I was in the army before all this so I'm very familiar with paying my dues, starting at the bottom, and further maintaining a sense of loyalty. Does anyone know of any other private companies in ohio that are actually good? I've researched a lot of them however I am scared to death I'll end up in another place like this only with a better shirt or something... Any ideas what I should do?

OP
OP
E

Eliptic

Forum Ride Along
I live in union county, but columbus or any of the surrounding areas would suffice, I'm going to fire in August, so once that is done I guess this won't be a problem lol! I've tried medcare but I haven't heard anything back yet, perhaps I didn't submit my application correctly

blachatch

Forum Lieutenant
Look at critical care transport in columbus. Looks to be a great company great equipment ( power cots ). They are always hiring it seems. Not sure on pay though.

Mthom

Prodigy
I'm looking at CCT as well. Does anyone know what exactly they do? I know they do long distance transports, but do they run emergency calls as well? And does anyone know pay/benefits?

Anyways, unless critical care transport is good, I think going out of state for reciprocity or taking multiple jobs is the only way to go unless you have a spouse that provides as well. Then you can have your job and enjoy it, too.

blachatch

Forum Lieutenant
Not sure on CCT pay, I would like to know as well. I am hoping to get a part time medic job for a county EMS outside of Columbus and I would be interested in CCT as a second job.

coatlegs

Forum Ride Along
I'm looking at CCT as well. Does anyone know what exactly they do? I know they do long distance transports, but do they run emergency calls as well? And does anyone know pay/benefits?

Normal doctor's appointments, dialysis, etc... They have contracts with a couple of LTAC facilities in columbus so lots of trach/vent pt's for medics. They also have the contract with FMC prison on Harmon Ave so they will take some interesting emergencies out of there going to OSU. Other emergencies are to nursing homes which may or may not be a true emergency.

Basics can't do much aside from BLS calls and assist medics on calls. They do run wheelchair trucks on occasion but it sounds like not as often as where op is working.

Honestly not sure about pay as I generally stay out of others business, but I think basics start somewhere around 10.

coatlegs

Forum Ride Along
MedCare and Columbus Connection are solid choices.

Agreed. I can speak for medcare in that you get some interesting trips there but no real emergencies as most calls are ift. I know they had the 911 contract in i think marion county, not sure if they still do or not.

OP
OP
E

Eliptic

Forum Ride Along
I just found out today that Dayton hires civilian emt-b/I/p, apparently they have 24 hour shifts and they get pretty busy out there. Pay is good and if you decide to apply for the academy your chances are much better. I'm not 100%, however this is info I recieved from a medic I ran with today. Could deffinatly be worth looking into! Thank you guys for all the info too! I'm gonna try medcare again and put an app into cct ASAP!

OP
OP
E

Eliptic

Forum Ride Along
Got an interview at 1st advanced next week, ratings online look good so hopefully it works out