I rigged a wrong mike incident

Oops,:blush: read on below

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I rigged a wrong mike incident

Oshkosh_P-15_fire_truck.JPEG

(See why a headset is needed?)

The P-15 has/had a little hatch on the rear right with the backup spotter's intercom headset link to
the driver coiled up in it. I knew they were taking it out to the wash rack,
so I put my little 1970's handheld AMFM in the compartment next to the headset and taped the set on "XMIT".
When the driver turned the truck on, his headset was intermixing the local rock station with
RAPCON instructions to inbound transcontinental aircraft.

He was going to divert to the radio shop but I called him
on the crash net to ask if I had left my radio on his rig...

PS:

id_fire_p15_700_03.jpg
BROADSIDE!

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
This illustrates only one of the reasons I did not even have PAs installed in the latest ambulances I ordered. No need. Too much temptation for horseplay. No PA = No more mistakes

NEMed2

Forum Crew Member
My personal favorite was a female crew I overheard talking about how attractive a particular other tech was... blasting it all over our regional dispatch. One of them must have been sitting on the radio because they were obviously unaware that everyone was listening in on how cute so and so's butt is & how he has dreamy eyes. Hilarious!

CHITOWNMEDIC

Forum Probie
Wrong Microphone.

Chicago FD had issues with things like this. All they had to do was obtain the telephone handsets like I've seen FDNY use & the problem of picking up the wrong micro is solved.

Stewart1990

Forum Crew Member
I think the inoppertune blows of the horn could be lumped into this. or that 'i thoght that was the lights, not the siren switch' moment i think we have all had.....

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
How about driving down the road, in-route to the hospital, I am going speed limit as it isn't an emergency. My medic partner yells from the back that my lights are on, I realize I forgot to flip the switch off:wacko:

I felt silly because i drove for a couple miles before he mentioned it.

Stewart1990

Forum Crew Member
In my old fire department we had an *elderly* man who happened to be an ex-chief. we kept him on as sort of a mascot. we were on a call at around 3 am one morning, and i had to stay in the truck since i was a junior at the time. me and him are in the front, him driver, me captains. *keep in mind, there are horn/siren/air horn pedals on both sides. im half asleep, and so is the rest of the neighborhood when all of a sudden-
BBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM

Im jolted awake to find the entire clash of first responders and the angry neighboors looking directly at me. As is the man to my left. All i see is my rather portly fire chief mouth the words "who did it!?"
I was initially blamed, being the junior and all, but soon was exonerated due to the following fact:

Even if i DID fall asleep- My legs dont reach the floor, let alone the pedals, while im strapped in.

Stewart1990

Forum Crew Member
Ha ha ha! You must be shorter than one of my partners! And I thought she was short.:p

damn near 5 '2. i look like a little kid struggling to get out of a seatbelt when i have to reach the pedals.
ADDED: I'm 33 Inches from the bottom of my foot to my hip. im almost legally a dwark i think

Last edited by a moderator:

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
damn near 5 '2. i look like a little kid struggling to get out of a seatbelt when i have to reach the pedals.
ADDED: I'm 33 Inches from the bottom of my foot to my hip. im almost legally a dwark i think

Sorry, you loose! Darn near 5' 28" inseam on my work pants, and to be medically considered a dwarf you have to be full grown at less than 4'8" (I think), at which point they engage in genetic testing. Just because you're short, doesn't make you a dwarf!

Stewart1990

Forum Crew Member
Sorry, you loose! Darn near 5' 28" inseam on my work pants, and to be medically considered a dwarf you have to be full grown at less than 4'8" (I think), at which point they engage in genetic testing. Just because you're short, doesn't make you a dwarf!

lol, i know. by the way, its your birthday isnt it? happy birthday!

Stewart1990

Forum Crew Member
Sorry! Happy Belated Birthday! /ed spam
lol

"Doc" Fox

Forum Probie
Back when I worked as a Public Safety Officer at are local hospital, one of are officers was using the washroom, and somehow keyed up his radio.....all of us heard the whole thing, groaning, and grunting included at no extra cost. Even the Maint. Dept, and ER Staff; at the time they had radios on are channel. On of the ER M.D.'s wanted him to get a pyhisical after that.