Ofirmev

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Use it in the OR, primarily in patients you want to minimize opioids in. Severe sleep apnea, etc.

With 1 hour to peak effect and the fact that is has to be given by infusion, I don't really see it being very useful prehospital.

Now ketorolac, that's another story......significantly under-used in EMS, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Use it in the OR, primarily in patients you want to minimize opioids in. Severe sleep apnea, etc.

With 1 hour to peak effect and the fact that is has to be given by infusion, I don't really see it being very useful prehospital.

Now ketorolac, that's another story......significantly under-used in EMS, IMO.

Interesting! How about for long transports, say? I looked at the onset time to effect, and it seemed long. Any idea if it's a lot more expensive than PO acetaminophen?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Interesting! How about for long transports, say? I looked at the onset time to effect, and it seemed long. Any idea if it's a lot more expensive than PO acetaminophen?

If you routinely did long transports - especially of surgical patients - I'm sure you could find an occasional use for it. Realistically though, I just can't see it being used very often in prehospital or CCT. I think things that can be given PO (tylenol/PO opioids) or IVP (morphine/dilaudid/toradol) are generally more practical and cost effective.

It is a lot more money than PO, but at $10-$20 a vial (I think), it's not ridiculously expensive, either. Probably just expensive enough that your service won't want to buy it unless you are regularly using it (and able to bill for it).