Nursing school

Sineath02

Forum Lieutenant
So yeah I really think Im going to start going back to school toward my nursing degree after I finish EMT-B..I mean its in my heart of what I want to do and I think if I do not do it now I will be 30 and be like WHAT THE HELL WHY DIDNT YOU DO IT WHEN YOU HAD THE CHANCE!!! I was going for the Associates in Nursing, but considering take some more classes at community college then transfering to USC towards my BSN. The waiting list at the community college is so long I am better off doing this I believe. A BSN will pay off in the long run either way

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Congrat's on making your decision. I think you made a wise determination on the BSN. There is definitely nothing wrong with an ADN as I was one and most I work with are. The BSN may open more doors later on a professional status.

Remember, nursing school and EMT school have NO similarity, I would personally be sure to keep it "mum" about being one as well. It is better to be fairly judged as everyone else.

Good luck, on obtaining on your prerequisites and application to nursing school.

R/r 911

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Good luck with nursing school. I agree with RR that having an EMT licencse and training doesn't always help as there are some BIG differences in the nursing training then EMT but I think for myself some of my EMS training has helped to a degree. Good luck.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
i'm getting tired of all these emts going to nursing. how about this, if you love nursing so much, just go straight to nursing and don't waste our time. the truth is, many don't actually like nursing, they just want the extra money. Nursing sucks if you ask me, don't believe me, just ask a nurse and they'll tell you...

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Congrat's on making your decision. I think you made a wise determination on the BSN. There is definitely nothing wrong with an ADN as I was one and most I work with are. The BSN may open more doors later on a professional status.

Remember, nursing school and EMT school have NO similarity, I would personally be sure to keep it "mum" about being one as well. It is better to be fairly judged as everyone else.

Good luck, on obtaining on your prerequisites and application to nursing school.

R/r 911

keep it mum about being an emt?...the only reason they become emts is to put it on their application

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
fyi, i'm pissed off at nurses right now, i just broke up with one, stupid bi...nevermind...

premedtim

Forum Lieutenant
fyi, i'm pissed off at nurses right now, i just broke up with one, stupid bi...nevermind...

Sounds like you should be dogging on her instead of nurses then....and trust me I know the feeling, I've dealt with a nursing student before and she was a complete *expletive*. :rolleyes:

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Well you know what guys, You are all right about nursing and EMS being two different creatures, but they both come in handy when caring for a patient, my back round started in nursing and I went into EMS. Needless to say I have been on both sides of the gurney! Now, my gripe with nursing these days is there are these people go to nursing school with the attitude of "this makes fairly good money" and have never worked with sick people. Then when they are in school the attitude is taught that you will delegate. That's fine up to a point, but the nurse is responsible for the entire patient, not just the meds and charting. I have been blessed to have worked with some of the finest men and woman in the nursing profession, These are the folks that I would trust my loved one's life with, not to mention my own. I also think that in this present time the nursing students are too much on there own and are being precepted by nurses that are either burned out or just have the attitude "I'm only in it for the money" What kind of a standard is that to teach! Now that I am off my soup box, Don't you think it is better that a person catches themself early "this is really the job for me" instead of sticking it out and being burned out, bitter, and a b*tt head? I have seen folks come out of nursing and go into EMS and vise a versa. I think it sounds like a win win to me. Good luck and remember your roots and what you have been taught, it will come in handy when it comes to patient care!!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I agree, as I do some part time nursing teaching, we are seeing more and more going only for the $$$. The problem is they barely pass the courses and after they are in the workforce quit in about 2 years.

The average age of a RN is now 46 years old... scary huh..? Figure, that many of these will be retiring soon.

I agree as well if you plan on being a nurse.... go be one. The only reason I went was because at the age of 30, I had maxed out my salary, and knew if I hurt my back.. I would be out of a job.

I am still continuing on to NP because I realize, in a few years (as much as I love the field) I will have to leave. Hopefully, to increase my professional growth and as well increase EMS education and promotion.

It is not too bad of a "gig" to have both though, work a Paramedic 10/24 hr shifts and 10/12 hr shifts as a nurse, then 10 off. At least on can "afford to be a Paramedic"..LOL

R/r 911

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Easy - I'm looking at going to nursing school next fall...

They are 2 different fields, but they are related.

Actually, I've recently been thinking about going the route of PA, but I'm not sure anymore.