Number Needed to Treat

zzyzx

Forum Captain
Here's an interesting site that provides data on the NNT for many drugs, i.e. that aspirin given to a STEMI saves the life of one person for every 42 patients that it is given to.

I believe the site is done by Dr. Newman, who also does a podcast that I would highly recommend.

http://www.thennt.com

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
This website looks amazing. Down at the moment due to increased traffic, but I can't wait to check it out. Looks like a gem! I think many will be surprised at how high the NNT is for so many of our even well supported and "critically important" medications and interventions. I know I was when I started looking into this a few years ago.

Thanks for the tip zzyzx!

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
This website looks amazing. Down at the moment due to increased traffic, but I can't wait to check it out. Looks like a gem! I think many will be surprised at how high the NNT is for so many of our even well supported and "critically important" medications and interventions. I know I was when I started looking into this a few years ago.

Thanks for the tip zzyzx!

The info for statins and what is commonly practiced still leaves me a bit speechless.

OP
OP
zzyzx

zzyzx

Forum Captain
The info for statins and what is commonly practiced still leaves me a bit speechless.
Yeah, Dr Newman's podcast he actually did a "deep dive" on all the studies regarding statins, and he believes they are of no use for someone with high cholesterol but no Hx of heart disease. Crazy considering that they are the most prescribed drug in America. but then anti depressants are the second most prescribed drug, and it is controversial how effective they are.