NREMT Reciprocity

Jimbo

Forum Ride Along
I just finished a hybrid EMT course through a school in Nevada. I currently live in Ohio, and was just told by their Department of EMS that I must have NREMT certification and either gone through training in Ohio, or be licensed in another state and apply for reciprocity. Since I received training in Nevada I contacted them to see how I can become licensed there. Nevada said I need to either be a resident with a local address and driver's license or already have EMS related employment in the state in order to be licensed. I'll be moving to Texas in October and they have the same requirement as Ohio.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get licensed in Nevada or Ohio given my situation? I eventually plan to go on for Paramedic while in Texas which only required NREMT to begin. However, I would like to start working in Ohio to gain experience prior to starting paramedic training.

Thanks -- Jim

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Each state has their own hoop and requirements one must meet. The best bet is to obtain your NREMT status, it may not assure you instant license/certification; but it many cases can be used for reciprocity purposes.

I would definitely contact each State EMS Division and ask for requirements and for each entry points and general license requirements, and each level responsibilty and ability to provide care for all levels.

R/r 911

mpc83

Forum Probie
I recently moved to Texas from kentucky and did some hoop jumping myself. Wait I'm still hoop jumping bc I just passed my medic and now have to get more licenses in states I don't live for similar reasons ... Start with taking the nremt ...any state u want reciprocity in requires it ( barring the last 4 that don't now) . Most states require a copy of all other states you have had an ems license in before they will grant you one in their state ... You didn't take it here so prove you took it somewhere mentality.

I'd contact the program you went thru and start asking questions ... They have had to have dealt with this situation before if they do any type of distance learning and also check if u can use their address as urs to get your license in Nevada to get your license in Ohio to the get your license in Texas... If you are movin here (texas) in October be realistic too... It's gonna take you 2-10 weeks to get ur neveda license after doing all the pprwk then ur gonna do the same thing in Ohio for prob same amount of time to turn around and so it in Texas... Write out a time line and legit time you will be working Ems after all that applying... I'm not trying to be discouraging but think it all the way thru too ... Pm me if you have questions on Texas I just did the whole process
And I'm abt to do it all again :)