NREMT "Attitude"

Rin

Forum Captain
A type of question on the NREMT that trips me up:

On some "what would you tell the patient" questions, they'll frame an incorrect answer vey nicely, and a more correct answer rudely. For example, "Everything's going to be fine, sir. You'll be better in no time," vs. "Your organs are hanging out and you're probably going to die shortly."

Ok, that's a slight exaggeration, but both answers make you draw back and think, 'I would never say either one of those to a patient!' But I think the answer comes down to knowing you should never lie to a patient, and the rudeness is just there to throw you off.

Anyone else notice this?

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I haven't noticed that. Always be direct, but polite. Never say, "Your husband has passed away peacefully." Say, "Your husband has died."

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Maybe you're construing it as rude because it's more straight-forward than you would normally be.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
While that's not the most tactful way to word it it's what needs to be said. Explain what you're seeing, what it means, what you're planning to do then reassure them you're doing everything you can for them/their loved one.

OP
OP
Rin

Rin

Forum Captain
Maybe you're construing it as rude because it's more straight-forward than you would normally be.

I've seen test answers that actually describe yelling or shouting at the patient, though the essence of what they're saying is actually correct. I just wondered if anyone else ever noticed this.

MedicSlayer

Forum Probie
I have always been told to be direct as to not confuse the patient. As silly as it sounds, in the context of a loved ones passing- it is better to say "Im sorry but your father has died" as opposed to "he's at peace now'"

I get what you are referring to, it does seem that in any situation none of those answers would actually come out of your mouth!

rmena

Forum Crew Member
One of my preceptors back in medic school busted my balls for saying, "the hospital will take good care of you".