Non-EMS Talk

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
(I don't know if this has been discussed before, so if it has been, just let me know)

Would it be possible to have a "Non-EMS" section of the forum? I have seen a few things that have not been EMS related, and have been shut down relatively soon. It seems that maybe a Non-EMS section could be useful.

If you don't want everyone to see the section, maybe it could be programmed so that only members could see it.

Just a suggestion.

Eric

Sasha

Forum Chief
That's what the lounge is for.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
That's what the lounge is for.

True, but we can't talk about some things in the lounge without getting told to go "back on topic." Not really a bad thing, just saying.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
The moderators will close a thread citing that it's no longer EMS related. Sometimes someone will go off on a tangent, an interesting tangent. It gets shut down, and it's not possible to open a new thread to continue the conversation. So no, a non EMS section is not such a bad idea.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Did you see the poll attached to the quoted thread in this one? Out of 35 people who voted, 17 said they did NOT want an off topic section. In addition, we have the 100% Directionless Thread that we have allowed for just such material.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Fair enough.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
I dunno I'm split 50-50, while I dont wanna see the forum clogged up some others that I am a member of have an off topic section, the 100% directionless thread is sorta that but l personally would not mind having a section where l could ask some of the people that I trust that live pretty much my lifestyle so they know what it's like something that I have a question about that is not Ems related....with it's own specific headline.

Personally l rarely look at the 100% thread becauz it's mainly talking about what you're doing at the moment.

Just a thought.....maybe we could try it for a time????

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
That's what we've been trying to say. 17 out of 35 voting no IS the minority, BTW. Finding the topic you wanted to discuss on the directionless thread can be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Finding the topic you wanted to discuss on the directionless thread can be like finding a needle in a haystack.

So you can always make a post on what you wanted to discuss. It's not like anyone will jump on you for being off topic on the 100% directionless thread.

17 out of 35 voting no IS the minority, BTW

It's still more than 10 out of 35!

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
And less than 18 out of 35 - I'm just sayin'.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
So you can always make a post on what you wanted to discuss. It's not like anyone will jump on you for being off topic on the 100% directionless thread.

True, but wouldn't it be a lot easier if each thread could have its own topic? If everybody just started new topics within the "100% Directionless Thread", it would become VERY confusing VERY quickly.

I have been on other forums (officer.com just to name one) where there is a "Non (insert field here) section", and it doesn't really seem to take over the site. I think it would be interesting to at least try. Maybe restrict it to members only or something.

The problem is, sometimes people may want to ask non-EMS questions of the people on EMTLife. It kind of defeats the purpose to have to go on a different forum to ask those questions. And PMs are out of the question in some cases, because it is impossible for other people to put in their $.02.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I'm not sure I'm following your math....

18/35 represents a simple majority. 17/35 and 10/35 are both less than 50%. I'm just breaking your chops.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I think she means 10<17 which means yes < no

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
That's what we've been trying to say. 17 out of 35 voting no IS the minority, BTW. Finding the topic you wanted to discuss on the directionless thread can be like finding a needle in a haystack.

17 out of 35 is the majority vote in that poll with 48.57%
10 out of 35 voted yes with 28.57%
8 out of 35 voted they didn't care with 22.86%

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Never mind... dont feel like fighting.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
This is EMTLife.com not mylife.com if you want to talk about your personal struggles or questions in life there are plenty of other generalized forums out there. I personally could not care less about your life problems I come to read about and discuss hot topics within the healthcare field. It's bad enough taking medical advice from a forum but if you start taking advice on your personal life from an open and free anonymous internet forum you need help. Let's keep this site directed at the one and only thing we all have in common.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
This is EMTLife.com not mylife.com if you want to talk about your personal struggles or questions in life there are plenty of other generalized forums out there. I personally could not care less about your life problems I come to read about and discuss hot topics within the healthcare field. It's bad enough taking medical advice from a forum but if you start taking advice on your personal life from an open and free anonymous internet forum you need help. Let's keep this site directed at the one and only thing we all have in common.

You might want to go back and re-read the original post. It never said anything about personal struggles. I was thinking (I should have written it) that it could be about other news, people, etc. that did not have to do with EMS. And even if people did write about personal struggles, who says you would have to read it?