Non-College Paramedic Program Financial Aid

Icenine

Forum Crew Member
I've seen a couple of threads about employer benefits, and some on scholarships. I need a different kind of help.

The paramedic program I am reaching for is based out of our local EMS office and not affiliated with a college or institution of higher education. This by its nature disqualifies me from the traditional student loans and scholarships.

I have found a couple scholarships that don't need affiliation but not loans.

Does anyone have experience with this type of situation?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
You're pretty much restricted to just getting a scholarship, a private loan (not an educational specific loan) or paying for it out of pocket. It's one of the many drawbacks to going to a non-educational program.

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

medic417

The Truth Provider
Talk to the hospitals in the area. I am aware of some that have provided scholarships in rural areas to help ensure coverage of the area the hospital served. They usually require a contract.

As to the rude reply by others on your question there are some very high quality educational programs not tied to colleges. The draw back is usually there is no way to get credit for the education if you choose to try and go to college later.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Talk to the hospitals in the area. I am aware of some that have provided scholarships in rural areas to help ensure coverage of the area the hospital served. They usually require a contract.

The point being that there are two major problems with non-educational institution based programs:
1. Lack of financial aid
2. If (when?) this field moves forward, those who do not have a degree will likely be left behind or will find themselves scrambling to find a way to obtain one.

As to the rude reply by others on your question there are some very high quality educational programs not tied to colleges. The draw back is usually there is no way to get credit for the education if you choose to try and go to college later.

It wasn't intended to be blatantly rude, just very blunt and honest assessment of an area I know very well. I would like to point out that while there are a few "very high quality educational programs not tied to colleges", the vast majority are either antiquated holdovers or are diploma mills. Having worked in central Illinois for a large portion of my EMS career and speaking as someone who precepted students for several programs, I can attest that there are no "very high quality" non-college based programs out there. Even the college based programs are severely deficient in terms of the quality of the students they turn out. This is especially the case in the eastern half of the central portion of the state (think Effingham to the Indiana line, Kanakee south). At most you'll get the opportunity to see how EMS was taught and practiced in the late 1980s through mid-1990s without the benefit of a time machine.