Nj ems

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
So I am obviously new here but not new to EMS. Any way I have a few questions...or a lot of questions about NJ EMS (I have already been told to run away from NJ EMS but that is not an option).
I am currently a nationally registered Paramedic, NH medic as well as a NY medic (until Sept when it expires). I am currently living and working in NH but we are looking to move to be closer to family in NJ.

I stumbled upon this site while looking for info on Atlanticare and I know there were at least 2 medics for atlanticare on here...and they actually both seemed to love it there...
But here are my questions:

Is there a way I could get a copy of the NJ Paramedic protocols?

How are medics usually deployed? Are you 911 only? Transfers only? a mix (scheduled 911 & transfer days, you start 911 but if a transfer comes in they pull you from rotation, etc)?

Do you know what starting average pay is NJ?

Is there a union?

How are the benefits?

My wife seems interested in the Jackson, Egg Harbor and surrounding areas for us to live...any suggestions on companies to approach?

how busy is it? Is there a lot of violence? More trauma? More medical? or about equal?

I have worked in an urban setting for quite some time. I apologize for the ton of questions, but trying to as much info as I can before I plunge head first.

Thank you for your time in advance.
DJ

firecoins

IFT Puppet
unless you are affiliated with a hospital you will not be doing transfers. Those are left for RNs.

Try and keep the NY Medic. Even from Egg harbor, it gives you options. People commute from further from egg harbor to NYC. I would look to St. Vinnie's in Manhattan for a refresher. FDNY EMS is looking for medics and you could select St. Island. There are other employers in St. Island.

Jersey City and Newark I am told are always looking but I do not know this to be true.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
NJ EMS is a confusing system.

Paramedics do prehospital ALS only. Dual medic chase cars, all hosptial based systems.

BLS ambulances are run by Volunteer/combination Rescue/First Aid Squads and paid departments.

ALS transport is handeled by an RN and EMT's. EMT-P's don't do transfers, to the best of my knowledge.

OP
OP
djmedic913

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
ALS transport is handeled by an RN and EMT's. EMT-P's don't do transfers, to the best of my knowledge.

I like the sound of that.

As for the other information you gave, I am aware of that and the confusion that the volly squads can cause.

I do appreciate that info...If anyone can dispute this please let me know

OP
OP
djmedic913

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
unless you are affiliated with a hospital you will not be doing transfers. Those are left for RNs.
-all medics are hospital based and affiliated in NJ...did you mean if I was affiliated with a hospital I would not be doing transfers?

Try and keep the NY Medic. Even from Egg harbor, it gives you options. People commute from further from egg harbor to NYC. I would look to St. Vinnie's in Manhattan for a refresher. FDNY EMS is looking for medics and you could select St. Island. There are other employers in St. Island.
As for my NY medic, I plan on renewing it. Even if it lapses, All I would need to do to be re-certified is to take the state written test again...which is my plan, Coz I do plan on getting on FDNY as a medic at least per diem.

Jersey City and Newark I am told are always looking but I do not know this to be true.

I have looked at both of these cities and yes they are both currently hiring as well as MONOC and Atlanticare. I know I have options, which is nice.

Thank you for your feedback

firecoins

IFT Puppet
-all medics are hospital based and affiliated in NJ...did you mean if I was affiliated with a hospital I would not be doing transfers?
You need to be hospital based. You do whatever it is they allow you to do. I think medics only do 911 in Jersey. I am unsure if any hospital based medics do IFTs.

As for my NY medic, I plan on renewing it. Even if it lapses, All I would need to do to be re-certified is to take the state written test again...which is my plan, Coz I do plan on getting on FDNY as a medic at least per diem.
FDNY itself does not have per diem shifts but hospitals in NYC that operate 911 ambulances do.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
So I am obviously new here but not new to EMS. Any way I have a few questions...or a lot of questions about NJ EMS (I have already been told to run away from NJ EMS but that is not an option).
I am currently a nationally registered Paramedic, NH medic as well as a NY medic (until Sept when it expires). I am currently living and working in NH but we are looking to move to be closer to family in NJ.
I stumbled upon this site while looking for info on Atlanticare and I know there were at least 2 medics for atlanticare on here...and they actually both seemed to love it there...

Yup, I'd be one of em.
But here are my questions:

Is there a way I could get a copy of the NJ Paramedic protocols?

Yes. http://www.state.nj.us/health/ems/regs.shtml

Go to 841 and 841A
How are medics usually deployed? Are you 911 only? Transfers only? a mix (scheduled 911 & transfer days, you start 911 but if a transfer comes in they pull you from rotation, etc)?

We have 911 Medics, and 911/SCT Medics. New hires usually start off on SCT. Some LOVE it, and stay there. Others want to get into the field, and treat more prehospitally. It all depends on your schedule, and what you are hired for.
I was SCT/Medic 1 in Atlantic City. I am now Thursday-Saturday nights, 911 all over Cape May and Atlantic Counties.

SCT's first job is SCT runs. You work with an MICN, and do interfacility runs that need a nurse and monitor, as well as additional equipment.
You also double as a Medic truck. But only if you are clear all SCT jobs.

Do you know what starting average pay is NJ?

Not bad. lol I am a brand new medic, and my base hourly is damn close to 21/hr, before shift differentials.

Is there a union?

Some are. AtlantiCare is not.

How are the benefits?

Not bad. I'm healthy, so I got the minimum coverage.

My wife seems interested in the Jackson, Egg Harbor and surrounding areas for us to live...any suggestions on companies to approach?

Egg Harbor what? City? Little Egg Harbor? Egg Harbor Township?
STAY AWAY FROM MONOC!! AT ALL COSTS!! YOU CAN'T SPELL MONOC WITHOUT O NO!

how busy is it? Is there a lot of violence? More trauma? More medical? or about equal?
Hit or miss. My last weekend on SCT/Medic 1, we ran 2 shootings in Atlantic City. Medic 10, out in Hammonton is usually our slowest truck. Rural area, long response times. But they can get hopping, ans usually see good trauma.
Medic 6 in the City is the busiest. Short response times, strong BLS that recalls ya when you're not needed, and you stay on your toes.

I have worked in an urban setting for quite some time. I apologize for the ton of questions, but trying to as much info as I can before I plunge head first.

Thank you for your time in advance.
DJ

Anytime bro. Feel free to PM, or IM me. I just moved up here in Sept, and started my Medic time 7 Dec, getting my NJ MICP on 1 Feb, and my "T" number dropped 1 July, as long as they agree to sponsor me.

If you are looking for progressive, we really ain't it. If you are looking for busy (5 full time medic trucks, 3 SCT/Medic trucks, and one seasonal, 12 hr truck) covering 2 counties, then we are it. We are also the lead agency for the NJ EMS Task Force in the Southern Region, and have a Spec. Ops team, bike team, and we are self goverened. We have teams and committees that steer the agency in the direction we would like to see it go.

All in all, AtlantiCare is an AWESOME place to work.
I am NOT a recruiter. I am NOT getting paid to do this.
I moved (back) here from Fla, and I am pretty happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
djmedic913

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
AJ, MICP, FireMedic
Member, IACOJ
FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

ok what does most of these abbreviations mean?
I got the "AJ" is your name...which is funny coz mine is "DJ"...lol
I got FireMedic...duh...

but what does everything else stand for?

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
ok what does most of these abbreviations mean?
I got the "AJ" is your name...which is funny coz mine is "DJ"...lol
I got FireMedic...duh...

but what does everything else stand for?

MICP is Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic, NJ's level of certification for Medics.

FTM-PTB; F**k The Mutts-Protect The Brotherhood.

EGH-DTRT; Everyone Goes Home-Do The Right Thing

RFB-KTF; Remember Fallen Brothers-Keep The Faith

That is the mantra of the FOOLS. The Fraternal Order Of Leatherheads Society.
If every fireman followed that code, we would be much, much better off.

OP
OP
djmedic913

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
MICP is Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic, NJ's level of certification for Medics.

FTM-PTB; F**k The Mutts-Protect The Brotherhood.

EGH-DTRT; Everyone Goes Home-Do The Right Thing

RFB-KTF; Remember Fallen Brothers-Keep The Faith

That is the mantra of the FOOLS. The Fraternal Order Of Leatherheads Society.
If every fireman followed that code, we would be much, much better off.

LOL...I like those...thanx for explaining...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I thought FOOLS changed it to "For The Men"