Ngfatos ?

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I have noticed while looking online that certain CPR certification agencies are not affiliated with Red Cross or AHA, rather claim to certify according to NGFATOS (National Guidelines for FirstAid Training). From what I read, this standard is from OSHA and covers first aid. So would you think these outfits are shady? Do they have to comply with standards and regulations as does AHA? My wife's company gets their CPR certification by a company with no credentials other than NGFATOS on the card. Sounded kinda flaky to me.

They must be cheaper as they don't require the students to have manuals and card fees are free, so hmm... I wonder about the quality of instruction.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
At first glance it does seem shady until you realize that the Red Cross and AHA are incredibly difficult organizations to work with. I wanted to become a Red Cross BLS instructor and they wanted over $500 just for the class. I went to ECSI and they wanted 1/5 of that. The AHA isn't much better.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I was certified through a company that used ECSI, then they went to another one. The material is very similar between ARC and theirs and two other companies I've been certified with claiming to be "basically AHA" compliant.

Things to look for as an indicator it may be a shady outfit, in my opinion:
1. All online.
2. Instructors strictly use a video and do not answer questions to student satisfaction.
3. Offer "refreshers" which are basically a "Send me some money" deal.
4. Offer a card valid longer than two years.

There's lots more, but these are some bellwethers.

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
NGFATOS is National Guidelines for First Aid Training in Occupational Settings. It is exactly as it says. The training is geared for those working in nonmedical occupational settings where CPR or First Aid might be needed onsite to provide a better link of care to EMS.

The AHA does the same for differentiating CPR for the layperson and for the health care professional.

If it is CPR or BLS, make sure you have the one go health care providers if you are using it for a health care occupation.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
NGFATOS is National Guidelines for First Aid Training in Occupational Settings. It is exactly as it says. The training is geared for those working in nonmedical occupational settings where CPR or First Aid might be needed onsite to provide a better link of care to EMS.

The AHA does the same for differentiating CPR for the layperson and for the health care professional.

If it is CPR or BLS, make sure you have the one go health care providers if you are using it for a health care occupation.

Yeah I know all that, my question is more to do with the NGFATOS instructors, are they held accountable for maintaining a standard of instruction as the AHA and ARC are?