Newly Licensed- Job Advice

pauloemsu

Forum Ride Along
Okay I just passed my NREMT (woot!), and I want to find a job in the Lansing area. I have a few questions
1. I have a small problem in that my driving record is not great (4 tickets in the past year), so can I rule out working for ambulance companies?
2. I don't think they would hire me as it would hurt their insurance rates, or could i still get hired but just wouldn't drive?
3.I would like to work in a hospital as an ER Tech anyways, but it seems most places want alittle experience first. Also what other places can a licensed emt work besides a hospital or ambulance service?
4. I saw in the paper when a new plasma donation center opened up they were hiring EMT's (but for what?)
5. What is the best route/ or the route you took to finding a job? Was it in contacting hospitals/ambulance services directly, finding job postings online, or through word of mouth?
6. At one of the local hospitals I had seen openings before for ER tech's (although they have none at this moment) and right now they have an opening for a orderly (i know it's not the same thing at all). But I thought by taking some shifts as an orderly and getting in good with people at the hospital when the first tech job opened up I would have a leg up on getting it. What do you guys think?

Code 3

Forum Captain
1. It all depends on the company's policies/procedures. They may ask you to submit a DMV record along with your application.

2. Once again, it all depends on the company's policies/procedures. Some places might be more lenient than others. The best advice is to call the HR department and speak with someone.

3. It never hurts to put in the application anyway! Some places hire security guards that are certified EMT's as well.

4. A lot of health clinics hire EMT's to do miscellaneous work. You should contact the company and get a description of the work to be performed.

5. I primarily did a bunch of my research online. I went to all the local FD and ambulance company websites and there's usually a "Careers" link somewhere. You can also go to your City's website and see what jobs are open in the Public Safety Department. I even did a search on Monster.com as well. I also spoke with individuals when I did my clinical and ride-a-long experience.

6. It never hurts to get your foot in the door, however, I strongly suggest that you properly research the position and see what shifts are available first (just in case it's not what you think).QUOTE]

StarOfLife

Forum Crew Member
Okay I just passed my NREMT (woot!), and I want to find a job in the Lansing area. I have a few questions
1. I have a small problem in that my driving record is not great (4 tickets in the past year), so can I rule out working for ambulance companies?
2. I don't think they would hire me as it would hurt their insurance rates, or could i still get hired but just wouldn't drive?
3.I would like to work in a hospital as an ER Tech anyways, but it seems most places want alittle experience first. Also what other places can a licensed emt work besides a hospital or ambulance service?
4. I saw in the paper when a new plasma donation center opened up they were hiring EMT's (but for what?)
5. What is the best route/ or the route you took to finding a job? Was it in contacting hospitals/ambulance services directly, finding job postings online, or through word of mouth?
6. At one of the local hospitals I had seen openings before for ER tech's (although they have none at this moment) and right now they have an opening for a orderly (i know it's not the same thing at all). But I thought by taking some shifts as an orderly and getting in good with people at the hospital when the first tech job opened up I would have a leg up on getting it. What do you guys think?

I have been riding along at a service. They have a paramedic who cannot drive due to his poor driving record (no license!!).

Also, ER Tech is a great place to get experience. They often hire people around here with very little experience. It is a starting point, after all. Just check it out, you never know!! :)

Good luck.