Newbie!!!

SoontobeEMT

Forum Ride Along
Hi guys My name is HattieMae and I am trying to decide if being an EMT is right for me. I love helping ppl and in a situation that needs immediate attention I am always the first one to jump and ask ''are u okay'', but (yeah theres always a but) because I have never been in a serious situation (the person was always okay and refused medical attention) I really don't know how I would react to a situation with a small child, ya know those heart breaking moments where even for a seasoned paramedic would question their careeer choice. and I don't want to be the one everybody hates taking a call with because shes useless!!
My fiance is a EMT-IV here in tn and I loved helping him study and hearing about everything he did in class but that about as far as it has went, Jobs here are hard to come by and thats another thing that makes me question it, I don't want to waste money by gettin my license's and not be able to find a job. so if anybody has anyadvise or info that may help either one of us please let me know!!! thanks again Hattie!!!

clibb

Forum Captain
Hi guys My name is HattieMae and I am trying to decide if being an EMT is right for me. I love helping ppl and in a situation that needs immediate attention I am always the first one to jump and ask ''are u okay'', but (yeah theres always a but) because I have never been in a serious situation (the person was always okay and refused medical attention) I really don't know how I would react to a situation with a small child, ya know those heart breaking moments where even for a seasoned paramedic would question their careeer choice. and I don't want to be the one everybody hates taking a call with because shes useless!!
My fiance is a EMT-IV here in tn and I loved helping him study and hearing about everything he did in class but that about as far as it has went, Jobs here are hard to come by and thats another thing that makes me question it, I don't want to waste money by gettin my license's and not be able to find a job. so if anybody has anyadvise or info that may help either one of us please let me know!!! thanks again Hattie!!!

To be honest with you, in a couple years it's going to be nearly impossible to find a job without a degree. People now days are getting Masters and PhD's in everything.
The beauty of it is that there is EMT-B's in almost every work field. I know people that work for Hewlett Packard and are making $100,000+ a year and they do volunteer work for some agencies just for fun.
But, I do realize you're looking for a career. EMT, can be a good stepping stone. Some EMTs that I know have decided to go to Nursing school and they have gained a good career out of it. It seems like when someone gets a job on a 911 agency, they pretty much never let that position go, just move down to part-time.
If helping people is something that you thrive for, then this might be the job for you. If you're looking to be a hero (which some are) then it's not the job for you.
See if you can possible do some ride-alongs with some ambulance agencies to see if it's something that interests you. If it is, then go for it.
Everyone fear getting that "one" call and some day you will get it. It has happened to me. It's something you'll learn to build a shell around, but since your fiance is in the same field, he'll be a good person to talk to that about.
Good luck!

PotashRLS

Forum Crew Member
Welcome to the forum.

EMT-B is generally a volunteer career in smaller ems settings or the door opener to working your way up the ems ladder. You won't get rich in ems, but you will be fulfilled in many ways other people will never know.

FYI.....I dread kid calls too so don't feel bad or think its just you. No one likes them but I really started to dread them after my son was born in 2005. He has asthma and it really "softened me up" a bit. We are not robots and you will find that your patients will appreciate the human, personable elements you show them.

medicb

Forum Probie
Look for some volunteer agencies in your area. Most likely they will let you ride as a observer. Also, if you like it and join the agency as a volunteer chances are they may put you through EMT class.

Brandon

OP
OP
S

SoontobeEMT

Forum Ride Along
We didn't know that you could do ride alongs as an observer!! thanks that helps alot!!!:)

@PotashRLS: Yes I have a three yr old, and everytime I hear of a child in the ER I get choked!

I also have another Question: Will getting the ACLS cert but staying at the EMT-IV Level aid in getting a job??
My commonsense says yes but then again my commonsense has been known to be wrong a time or two!!LOL

PotashRLS

Forum Crew Member
We didn't know that you could do ride alongs as an observer!! thanks that helps alot!!!:)

@PotashRLS: Yes I have a three yr old, and everytime I hear of a child in the ER I get choked!

I also have another Question: Will getting the ACLS cert but staying at the EMT-IV Level aid in getting a job??
My commonsense says yes but then again my commonsense has been known to be wrong a time or two!!LOL

I believe ACLS certification is for Paramedics and up. Levels below Paramedic don't generally carry enough meds or have medical protocols accepting ACLS care.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
I believe ACLS certification is for Paramedics and up. Levels below Paramedic don't generally carry enough meds or have medical protocols accepting ACLS care.

MedicRob or someone else familiar with TN needs to jump in here, as that state doesn't recognize EMT-B as a certification level and so might be a little more involved to get one's foot in the door.