newbie with a question

sonnyboy40

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys, let me start off by saying how much i love this site. I always enjoy dissussing and/or reading about everything pertinant to EMS. Just a little about myself. I am 40yrs old and i work full time as a basic in Grenada,MS(a small town of about 30k people(county wide) 100 miles south of Memphis,TN) We average about 400 calls a month,50% BS,35% true medical and about 15% trauma. I graduate from paramedic school on the 10th of next month and i have skills check-offs that day.I plan on taking national regestry hopefully before Christmas which leads me to my question....I am,by no means,a test taker which contributes to my anxiety about taking nat.reg. I have looked at several nat.reg.test prep sites(such as parameducators.com) but im undecided which one will help me pass nat.reg.becuse of the numourous test taking sites. So my question is which one is the best one that is set up just like nat.reg.and will show me where im the weakest? Thanks guys,looking forward to reading your replys

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I suggest taking the test once before you spend the money on a website and see how you do.

Having said that, I used JBLearning, and found it to be the closest to the Registry's screwed up way of wording questions.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Jblearning is great . They actually have a promo on right now 20% off. I am still on the mailing list from my school and got the flyer the other day. Let me know if you want the promo code

jgav07

Forum Ride Along
Like Linuss said, give it a go first and see how you do. I was extremely nervous about my recent registry testing and was pleasantly suprised when I ended up passing all the testing on the first go. You may suprise yourself.

MICP

Forum Crew Member
What you want is NOT a paper guide or study text, that what your textbook is for. You want to review the context of the test as well as the content. The printed guides do a disservice because you can go back and forth between questions. You also cannot get the full experience of the computer interface or have test items categorized randomly. You also want a guide that will ask you questions that require the highest order of thinking of Bloom's Taxonomy, the Evaluation level. This moves you passed the empiric questions often seen in most classes and review texts, and requires you to critically think, apply your knowledge, and compare and contrast answers against each other to discover the best answer.

There are a number of companies out there that offer computer-based practice exams. You want a program that gives you annotated answers. This means that they explain why the right answers are right, and why the wrong are wrong. The other thing you want is s a system that asks you questions NOT in categorical order, yet gives you feedback overall and per section. One of the least expensive and gives you a lot of time for the practice (it is like a 500 day subscription; other companies like only give you a certain number of tries) is Jones and Bartlet's EMT Test Prep.

http://www.jblearning.com/catalog/9780763757830/

Another is http://www.emt-national-training.com/. This one is a little more expensive, and has a shorter subscription time, but has gotten great reviews.

I regularly teach NREMT preparatory courses and private tutoring, and nothing matches the actual practice of taking NREMT-style exams.

firemedic0227

Forum Lieutenant
Everyone in our Paramedic class pitched in a little bit of money and purchased JBLearning and so far 3 out of the 3 that has taken National Registry has passed. I take my National Registry test on Monday. It is as close to the National Registry as you can get according to my classmates that has passed their National Registry. Good luck!