Newbie: What to do about feeling carsickness in back of ambulance?!

NFWman

Forum Ride Along
Hi All -

I'm brand new to this forum, just passed my state practicals and NREMT cognitive exam.... Am 59 yo and wanted to learn something completely new. For decades have been wanting to become an EMT and now that my kids are getting older & don't need me around as much anymore this was my chance to do it. So here I am!

Enjoyed my class, the ride-alongs, and yes even the exams!

Am now just waiting for my state certification paperwork to come through so I can begin the precept phase.

Anyway, here's my question:
I've loved everything about the job so far, except for one thing: I feel very nauseous riding in the back of the ambulance! Will this go away as I get used to it?? Should I just take Dramamine for every shift? It's definitely a concern.... not related to patient trauma, but simply from riding in the ambulance. I'm worried this will be my Achilles Heel and I'll have to become an ED Tech instead of working on an ambulance just because I get nauseous...

Would greatly appreciated some advice.

Thanks!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I've ridden with several partners who sometimes had motion sickness when they were in back. I don't think any of them were on antiemetics. One thing that seemed to help was looking outside as much as possible. Getting oriented to the horizon works for me, too, when I feel a little queasy on boats.

Dramamine might relieve the nausea, but it could also make you drowsy and less effective.

OP
OP
N

NFWman

Forum Ride Along
I've ridden with several partners who sometimes had motion sickness when they were in back. I don't think any of them were on antiemetics. One thing that seemed to help was looking outside as much as possible. Getting oriented to the horizon works for me, too, when I feel a little queasy on boats.

Dramamine might relieve the nausea, but it could also make you drowsy and less effective.
Yes, I think you’re right about getting oriented with the horizon. But in the back of the ambulances that I’ve been in there are only back windows which are almost completely blocked by the large Star Of Life decals.

I can give Dramamine a try on a day I’m not working to see if it makes me drowsy. I’ve never had to take that before, since I don’t get seasick, nor airsickness. I only seem to get “back of the ambulance motion sickness.” 🤷🏻‍♂️

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Motion sickness in the back of an ambulance is pretty common, especially for those just getting into the field.

The typical suggestions are to not look out the back windows, turn on the A/C, and it gets better with time.

There are also many effective medications for motion sickness, I’d consult with your doctor for their input. This should be a relatively easy fix with meds.

They say it gets better with time if you stick it out.

What about working in the ER or another setting?

What about working on a first response or intercept vehicle?

OP
OP
N

NFWman

Forum Ride Along
Motion sickness in the back of an ambulance is pretty common, especially for those just getting into the field.

The typical suggestions are to not look out the back windows, turn on the A/C, and it gets better with time.

There are also many effective medications for motion sickness, I’d consult with your doctor for their input. This should be a relatively easy fix with meds.

They say it gets better with time if you stick it out.

What about working in the ER or another setting?

What about working on a first response or intercept vehicle?
Thanks! I think I'd really like to get my experience in the ambulance setting, if there's a way to overcome the motion sickness.... But good to know there are alternate ideas. I'm pretty hopeful I can find a way to manage the motion sickness, or just get over it eventually. Wondering if any of you had to overcome this and what worked. Thanks again!

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
I use to get sick when I first started. Open the side window. Don’t look at phone or book while moving and smell an alcohol prep. (Always worked to alleviate nausea)

FLMedic311

Forum Lieutenant
Chewing gum or ginger candy can help. I have been doing this for 16years now and although it has gotten better for me it has never gone completely away 😔

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I like ginger candy for this. I also have a script for PRN Zofran ODT. It’s been a long time since I’ve puked, but there are still plenty of days when riding in the back makes me nauseous.

M3dicalR3dn3ck

Idolizes Johnny and Roy
I second whoever said look out the window. As soon as I get oriented to the horizon I'm good. I also spread my legs and feet out as much as possible to stabilize myself in the seat

OP
OP
N

NFWman

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the helpful tips! Just got my state license number assigned today, so I'm ready to get started in this next chapter in life. Will stock up on some ginger candy!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Ginger candy, prescription zofran ODT. Those do work to at least knock down some of the effects. Also look around for effective remedies for sea sickness. It's the same problem actually and seafarers have lots of experience with obtaining relief.

OP
OP
N

NFWman

Forum Ride Along
Ginger candy, prescription zofran ODT. Those do work to at least knock down some of the effects. Also look around for effective remedies for sea sickness. It's the same problem actually and seafarers have lots of experience with obtaining relief.
Great ideas! Thanks 😎👍👍

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Some of the guys I work with only struggle with motion sickness when riding in the back without a patient, which you do a lot of when new. But for most of them when they have a patient they rarely feel ill focusing on something else. Who knows, might work out for you too.

OP
OP
N

NFWman

Forum Ride Along
Thanks! Ya know, I think you’re right about that. With a patient in the back I didn’t feel so sick. I guess it gave me something to focus my mind on…