newbie questions

TyroneAintblack

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone, Im currently attending an EMT school pursuing to be a Firemedic. I believe that being an EMT is a stepping stone of where I wanna be in life. I was told by a Paramedic that I should be an EMT just to get my feet wet and get used to things. I have a sister that is an RN and works for Kaiser Permanente ER. Therefore, she can try to get me a job as a Med Tech. What I would like to know is that if i can get the proper experience i need by? And also i was told that after a year of experience, I should go to a Paramedic school. Plese help me by giving advice, directions and guide of becoming a Firemedic. I would highly appreciate it. Thank you

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
The general consensus here is that it is better to get some experience as an EMT-B before going on to paramedic. Dealing with patients is different than you're taught in the classroom. In addition, there's going to be some parts of the paramedic course that don't make sense until you've had some patient contact, at which time the lightbulb will come on.

That being said, there are some people here who think going straight on to paramedic from EMT-B is not a bad idea either.

Working as a MedTech you will be treated the same as you would if you were an EMT-B, but you won't necessarily be using the same skill sets. It will, however, allow you to observe patient assessment and treatment and may help you that way.

OP
OP
T

TyroneAintblack

Forum Ride Along
thank you. mind if I ask, is there any qualifications or requirements besides an EMT certificate to get into a Paramedic school

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
I would also point out that many medic schools require you to have a year of experience as an EMT and A&P before you can apply. You are in CA, which is where I was going to go to medic school. I worked as a tech for part of the time for my years experience and later found out that it wasn't accepted by the school for paramedic entrance, so I had to work longer on an ambulance. If you could work as a tech part time, I would highly recommend it because I got some of my best experience there. The most important thing is to call a few of the schools in your area and ask them what they require specifically so that you arent working towards the wrong goal. Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
T

TyroneAintblack

Forum Ride Along
im really looking forward of being an EMT. excited but a bit nervous. being a Medtech, what is my main purpose? is it gonna be different than working at an ambnulance?