Newbie in the passenger seat!

BubsEMT

Forum Ride Along
Hello all and this is my first post here. I just have a few questions. Im about to join a Tech school and become certified as an EMT. I was just wondering about the life as a EMT and also the calls you get as an EMT? I am terrified of heights I hope that doesnt interfer. But just wondering on usally

How much is there to learn so I will feel safe on most calls?
how many calls per day?
Is EMt also mean search and rescue (was told this by my uncle but he works in a foundry)?
Just a plain basic job description of the day as an EMT. Thank you.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Hello all and this is my first post here. I just have a few questions. Im about to join a Tech school and become certified as an EMT. I was just wondering about the life as a EMT and also the calls you get as an EMT? I am terrified of heights I hope that doesnt interfer. But just wondering on usally

how many calls per day?
Is EMt also mean search and rescue (was told this by my uncle but he works in a foundry)?

Welcome to the boards! Actually you have several great questions, but they will take a ton of time to answer. The best advice I can give would be to browse through several of the different topics here. You will find different people have different answers for the same questions you ask.

Good luck with school.

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant

how many calls per day?

First, welcome aboard!

I'll take a stab at answering your questions, but I agree with the poster above who advised you to browse around the site.

If you mean physically safe, just remember that you can leave at any time if you fear for your safety, and you can always call for police backup. If by safe you mean confident, just remember that the more you run, the more you'll learn. The certification class that you'll take will teach you a lot, but book knowledge isn't nearly as useful as field smarts.

how many calls per day?
Depends on where you're working. Where I work, its about 1-3 calls per 12 hour shift, on average, but that varies. If you're in a city, you might routinely spend your entire shift dealing with patients.

Not where I work. We use fire fighters for that, but I've always wanted to take a search and rescue class. Ask someone who works where you plan to about this. The closest that I've come to doing search and rescue was looking for an Alzheimer's patient who had wandered off. We stood by our ambulance and comforted his family until the police and fire fighters found him (alive and safe).

Just a plain basic job description of the day as an EMT.
When the Lord made the EMT, he was into his sixth day of overtime when an angel appeared and said, " You're doing a lot of fiddling around on this one." And the Lord said, "Have you read the specs on this order?"

"An EMT has to be able to carry an injured person up a wet, grassy hill in the dark, dodge stray bullets to reach a dying child unarmed, enter homes a health inspector wouldn't touch, and not wrinkle their uniform."

"He has to be able to lift three times his own weight, crawl into wrecked cars with barely enough room to move, and console a grieving mother as he is doing CPR on a baby he knows will never breathe again."

"He has to be in top mental condition at all times, running on no sleep, black coffee, and half eaten meals. And he has to have six pairs of eyes."

The angel slowly shook her head and said, "Six pairs of hands? No way." "It's not the hands that are giving me the problem," said the Lord, "It's the three pairs of eyes an EMT has to have." "That's on the standard model?" asked the angel.

The Lord nodded. "One pair that sees open sores as he's drawing blood and asks the patient if they may be HIV positive, when he already knows the answer and wishes he'd taken that accounting job."

"Another pair here on the side of the head for his partner's safety.
Another pair here on the front that can look reassuringly at a bleeding victim and say 'You'll be alright ma'am', even though he knows it isn't so."

"Lord", said the angel, touching his sleeve, "rest and work on this tomorrow."

"I can't," said the Lord, "I already have the model that can talk a 250 pound drunk out from behind a steering wheel without incident and feed a family of four on a private service paycheck."

The angel asked very slowly, "Can it think?"

"You bet." said the Lord. "It can tell you the symptoms of 100 illnesses, recite drug calculations in its sleep, intubate, defibrillate, and continue CPR nonstop over terrain any doctor would fear... and still keeps its sense of humor."

"This EMT also has phenomenal control. He can deal with a multi-victim trauma, coax a frightened elderly person to unlock their door, comfort a murder victim's family, and then read in the daily paper how EMS was unable to locate a house quickly enough, allowing a person to die; a house which had no street sign, no house numbers, and no phone to call back."

Finally, the angel bent over and ran her finger across the cheek of the EMT. "There's a leak." she pronounced, "I told you that you were trying to put too much into this model."

"That's not a leak," said the Lord, "That is a tear." "What's the tear for?" asked the angel.

"It's for bottled-up emotions, for patients they tried in vain to save, for commitment to hope that they will make a difference in a person's chance to survive, for life."

"You're a genius!" exclaimed the angel.

The Lord looked somber. "I didn't put it there."
Author Unknown​

That said, your job is generally to kick *** and help people out. It's by far the most challenging, but also the most rewarding, job around.

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
PS: I hope I didn't scare you off with that. Trust me, EMS is a TON of fun, and very rewarding.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
First, welcome aboard!

I'll take a stab at answering your questions, but I agree with the poster above who advised you to browse around the site.

If you mean physically safe, just remember that you can leave at any time if you fear for your safety, and you can always call for police backup. If by safe you mean confident, just remember that the more you run, the more you'll learn. The certification class that you'll take will teach you a lot, but book knowledge isn't nearly as useful as field smarts.

how many calls per day?
Depends on where you're working. Where I work, its about 1-3 calls per 12 hour shift, on average, but that varies. If you're in a city, you might routinely spend your entire shift dealing with patients.

Not where I work. We use fire fighters for that, but I've always wanted to take a search and rescue class. Ask someone who works where you plan to about this. The closest that I've come to doing search and rescue was looking for an Alzheimer's patient who had wandered off. We stood by our ambulance and comforted his family until the police and fire fighters found him (alive and safe).

When the Lord made the EMT, he was into his sixth day of overtime when an angel appeared and said, " You're doing a lot of fiddling around on this one." And the Lord said, "Have you read the specs on this order?"

"An EMT has to be able to carry an injured person up a wet, grassy hill in the dark, dodge stray bullets to reach a dying child unarmed, enter homes a health inspector wouldn't touch, and not wrinkle their uniform."

"He has to be able to lift three times his own weight, crawl into wrecked cars with barely enough room to move, and console a grieving mother as he is doing CPR on a baby he knows will never breathe again."

"He has to be in top mental condition at all times, running on no sleep, black coffee, and half eaten meals. And he has to have six pairs of eyes."

The angel slowly shook her head and said, "Six pairs of hands? No way." "It's not the hands that are giving me the problem," said the Lord, "It's the three pairs of eyes an EMT has to have." "That's on the standard model?" asked the angel.

The Lord nodded. "One pair that sees open sores as he's drawing blood and asks the patient if they may be HIV positive, when he already knows the answer and wishes he'd taken that accounting job."

Another pair here on the front that can look reassuringly at a bleeding victim and say 'You'll be alright ma'am', even though he knows it isn't so."

"I can't," said the Lord, "I already have the model that can talk a 250 pound drunk out from behind a steering wheel without incident and feed a family of four on a private service paycheck."

"You bet." said the Lord. "It can tell you the symptoms of 100 illnesses, recite drug calculations in its sleep, intubate, defibrillate, and continue CPR nonstop over terrain any doctor would fear... and still keeps its sense of humor."

"This EMT also has phenomenal control. He can deal with a multi-victim trauma, coax a frightened elderly person to unlock their door, comfort a murder victim's family, and then read in the daily paper how EMS was unable to locate a house quickly enough, allowing a person to die; a house which had no street sign, no house numbers, and no phone to call back."

Finally, the angel bent over and ran her finger across the cheek of the EMT. "There's a leak." she pronounced, "I told you that you were trying to put too much into this model."

"That's not a leak," said the Lord, "That is a tear." "What's the tear for?" asked the angel.

"It's for bottled-up emotions, for patients they tried in vain to save, for commitment to hope that they will make a difference in a person's chance to survive, for life."

Author Unknown​

That said, your job is generally to kick *** and help people out. It's by far the most challenging, but also the most rewarding, job around.
Welcome!! hang on tight and learn and laugh because you are on the start of an AMAZING RIDE!! hey FFEMTSAM I love this! I think you are a defender of the faith!!:)

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
First, welcome aboard!

how many calls per day?

Author Unknown​

The truth is written.

It is also a brother/sisterhood that is very close and will always help eachother out. If you accept your mission you are in for a very challanging but rewarding ride in life.

And I say Welcome.

trauma1534

Forum Captain

Hello! Welcome to the world of EMS! It is alot of fun. I can't think of an easier job.

There is quite a bit to learn. My advice to you would be, go to class, listen to the instructor. Pick up everyting that you can in class. When you get home, pick it all apart. Explore. Research. Join a vlounteer agancy while you are in class to get your feet wet. Just take it seriously for the most part.

how many calls per day?

If you are in a rural county agancy with long transport times, you will run fewer calls, but you will get to use your skills to the fullest. If you are in a city agency with short transport times, prepair to run!!! Remember though, it is about quality not quantity. In other words, its not about how many calls you can run in a day, it is about what you can do on the calls you run for your patient. If you work for a streight up transport service, you will probably be slammed busy!

As far is search and rescue, that is something you can get into within the agency that you join, if they have a SAR's team.

Well, for the agancies that I have worked for, first thing you get there, check off the supplies on your truck and restock it and get it ready for your shift. Then you may have to wash your truck. There may be base duties, as in, clean up around the building etc. Then you will be waiting for calls. Some agencies allow you to just hang out, watch TV, take naps, play checkers, play on the computer, etc. when you are not on a call. It varies as to what agancy you work for.

Over all, EMS is a fun job. If you like water fights with syringe's, pillow fights, playing practical jokes on your partner and bunk mates, you will have a blast. Sounds childish, but we had to do something to relieve the stress from a busy shift. We had water fights every shift! EMS is the easiest job I've ever worked. You won't get rich from it, but for what you do in a day, you will enjoy it. How many other jobs do you go to that you get paid to sleep and play as much as you want as long as you cover your calls and maintain your trucks.

Again, welcome to EMS!!! I hope you go far!

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
Airway Goddess:

I noticed the "den mother" in your sig. line. How old's your son? I've been involved in Scouts since I was about 5.

sarahharter

Forum Crew Member
welcome

first of all welcome!
Ems is the best thing that i ever decided to do besides joining the military! Anyway Ems is really fun but you also get a bunch of calls that make you think i am doing this for this ( bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: calls) but then you start thinking that not every call can be those adrenelane rushing, gut renching calls. But i love it and hopefully you will to! have fun with it and always expect to see and do things that you have never doen before. It can be very comical at times and can be very serious. if you put in your time you will see that it is the best job and very worth your time!

Epi-do

I see dead people
Welcome! Enjoy your journey through this crazy thing called EMS. Once you finish EMT class, don't stop learning. There is so much that the books and scenarios just can't teach you. Keep your eyes and ears open, ask questions. Your run load will vary from day to day and from agency to agency. There are plenty of people out there that just don't understand why we do this, but don't let them get to you. You will meet and work with people that will become a second family to you. This job is whatever you want to make of it, so stive to be the best that you can be.

This is truly the best job in the world!

OP
OP
B

BubsEMT

Forum Ride Along
Well what exact services do EMT provide? I know if people need oxygen and scrapes and cuts things like that but what is the most extreme. Is there a limit?

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
Well what exact services do EMT provide? I know if people need oxygen and scrapes and cuts things like that but what is the most extreme. Is there a limit?

70% of your patients will not need an ambulance at all. You will still end up transporting most of them, and, ironically, they can be some of your most rewarding calls. Use them to practice your basic stuff (SAMPLE history, vital signs, etc.)

25+% of your patients will need medical care, but it won't be that serious. Still, they probably need an ambulance. These patients give you as the student excellent practice for emergency cases, but without the pressure of having someone's life in your hands.

2-5% will be true, immediate, life and death cases. These are your codes (cardiac arrests), major MIs (heart attacks), etc. You will not be able to save all of them, but the ones that you do save will be the reason you stay in the job.

Other advice:
--LISTEN TO THE FOLKS WHO ARE EMTs AND ALS PROVIDERS. THEY WERE JUST LIKE YOU ONCE
--Don't be shy about asking to do something. Sometimes, you have to be pushy. Don't be afraid to jump into stuff.
--LISTEN TO THE FOLKS WHO ARE EMTs AND ALS PROVIDERS. THEY WERE JUST LIKE YOU ONCE
--There is NO substitute for dealing with patients. No amount of book knowledge will save a life in and of itself.
--If you don't know it, ask someone about it!
--Remmber that you will screw up more than once. And remember that the person pointing out your mistake did the exact same thing once, too.
--Have fun! You'll go crazy if you can't laugh at yourself.

The whole thing (patients, classes, etc.) can be overwhelming and very challenging. But trust me, you're about to enter the most powerful and awesome brotherhood on the face of the planet.

Peace,
Sam

PS: I joined the my rescue squad/fire dept. in January of this year and got my EMT cert. in June. If someone here thinks that they can do a better job at answering Bubs' questions than me, PLEASE chime in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Airway Goddess:

I noticed the "den mother" in your sig. line. How old's your son? I've been involved in Scouts since I was about 5.

Hey FF/EMT Sam! I got that nickname from the newbies, when I worked at Cottage Hospital in Santa Barbara.(there for 22 years!) I was one of the "old farts" that knew where everything was and how it operated, so that is how that nickname came into play. I do have a son that is 12 years old, and a daughter that is 3 going on 13!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Search and Rescue is not EMT. There are EMT's who are SAR certified and SAR techs who are not EMT's.

Many of us in EMS are certification junkies, the rest of us will show up for any class when there's a rumor of Pizza and Beer afterwards.

Your uncle may be speaking of a protocol in his work place where EMT's have to have SAR training but this is by no means a standard.