New York is a tough city to get work in.

MattyRattlesnake

Forum Ride Along
Did anyone else have to start off volunteering just to get experience?

I wasn't aware that the EMT field was so competitive. I am new to this, however I did see some combat in Afghanistan. However, that means absolutely nothing to any employer.

C'mon people hire a vet, for f*ck's sake!!

OP
OP
M

MattyRattlesnake

Forum Ride Along
You're welcome,

The civil service test was held in September, I just missed it.

I'm on the waiting list.

I have a date for the firefighter test however, I AM too old to get into academy, but I'll find a way around that.

RiderMedic

Forum Crew Member
There's North Shore LIJ but that's out in Syosset and the wait to get in can be long I hear, Presbyterian Hospital which is also good, New York Hospital of Queens, and there's also Nassau County Police Department Bureau of EMS.

Just to name a couple of places to look into if you're interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

MattyRattlesnake

Forum Ride Along
I appreciate the leads, the problem isn't lack of employment it's lack of experience.

These hospital based services are nice but they're hard to get into. My wife works at Mt. Siani, and I can't get in there either.

I have applied to all of these hospitals, except the Nassau County, it's simply too far from me.

EM Education

Forum Ride Along
I think most of us that started in NYC EMS in the late 80's and 90's started off by volunteering. There are many private ambulance companies that often take on inexperienced EMTs.
Take a look at Jamaica Hospital/MEDYSYS they operate a private service as well as a 911 service perhaps it could be a jump point....good luck

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I used to wrok for NS-LIJ until 2007 when I left NY.

It's like that old commercial - How do I get a job without experience, and how do I get experience without a job?

You'll have to do what the rest of us did - start your resume with an IFT company. Apply for FDNY EMS. Apply to every hospital you can. If you work for Transcare, you may be able to get in to their 911 division after paying your dues. When I left, most of the hospitals wanted at least six months NYC 911 experience before applying. Back in 2007, Jamaica Hosp. had an IFT division, so you could try starting there as well, and try to get into Jamaica, Brookdale, or Flushing's 911 dividsion.

You may have to become a medic before you'll get into a hospital. I did the NY Methodist program. They use (used?) MaMo, Presby, Transcare, and Jamaica units for rotations. You can netowork while you're in class. That and my NS-LIJ experience helped me get a per diem job there.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Find out where to apply for each hospital, and follow up with calls every few weeks. If you start work with a private, always keep a folder with updated resumes on the ambulance. You'll make contacts on the street, and they may offer to drop off a resume for you.

BTW, NS-LIJ is very militant. One of my two cousins that work there left, and one of my former medic partners just finished our fire academy back in Oct. Others are trying hard to leave. Just keep that in the back of your head. the upside for NS-LIJ? They have a thriving IFT business that has contracts with numerous MD offices. From what I'm told, they run quite a few emergencies out of these places. They call NS rather than 911. So, an IFT shift can be more like a 911 shift instead of a dailysis derby.

until then, it's a $10/hr IFT gig for you, unless you can land an ER Tech job. I would apply for those too.

BTW (again) if you want a good fire career, Fairfax County has an open enrollment period that ends on the 17th or 18th (can't recall). It doesn't open often. You could apply there, and if you get the call, you can work there in case FDNY doesn't come through. No age requirement, $50k/yr to start, 25 and out w/ a 2.8% multiplier, and a three year DROP.

Edit: Most employers don't care about volunteer experience, since it's not measurable, like a paid job is. For example, NS-LIJ had a five year volunteer = six month paid 911 experience conversion. The six months was the criteria at the time to qualify for 911 shifts, instead of having to do time in 100% IFT for a year before being cleared for 911.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Did anyone else have to start off volunteering just to get experience?

I wasn't aware that the EMT field was so competitive. I am new to this, however I did see some combat in Afghanistan. However, that means absolutely nothing to any employer.

C'mon people hire a vet, for f*ck's sake!!

Thanks for serving,

Jobs in the rust belt and in New York are getting hard to come by. Go to the sunny south or the western US if you want to become sought after.

Typically, employers love Vets due to maturaty, life exerpeince, and responsibility.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
IFT company

Transcare (Brooklyn, Bronx, Westchester)
SeniorCare (Bronx)
Lifeline (Bronx)
Midwood (Brooklyn)
Citywide (Bronx)
North Shore, which is not affiliated with North Shore LIJ (Queens)
Coling (Brooklyn)
First Response (Queens)
Hunter (Queens, Long Island)
Emergency Ambulance Service (Long Island)
Lifestar (Long Island, New Jersey)
Empress (Yonkers)

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
IFT company

Transcare (Brooklyn, Bronx, Westchester)
SeniorCare (Bronx)
Lifeline (Bronx)
Midwood (Brooklyn)
Citywide (Bronx)
North Shore, which is not affiliated with North Shore LIJ (Queens)
Coling (Brooklyn)
First Response (Queens)
Hunter (Queens, Long Island)
Emergency Ambulance Service (Long Island)
Lifestar (Long Island, New Jersey)
Empress (Yonkers)

That sounds pretty comprehensive. NS-LIJ used to get complaint calls here and there from North Shore Ambulance (Based out of Corona, has (had?) the american Flag on the side of their bus I think), but they would quickly figure out that it was the IFT NS, not the Health System.

RyRy

Forum Ride Along
Help!!!

Does any one know, any agency in rockland county that's hirring emt b no experience?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Does any one know, any agency in rockland county that's hirring emt b no experience?

Rocland Mobile Care is all there is. Call them.

northernnhmedic

Forum Probie
That sounds pretty comprehensive. NS-LIJ used to get complaint calls here and there from North Shore Ambulance (Based out of Corona, has (had?) the american Flag on the side of their bus I think), but they would quickly figure out that it was the IFT NS, not the Health System.

Yea, they had the American Flag waving along the side of their bus. That was the only thing nice about them though. And their base in Corona was just as ghetto as their buses. They moved up to a new location in College Point in 2010 I believe.

46Young, did you actually work 46Y when it was still posted at the Hall of Science? I was 46A 2008-2009, as wall as volunteered on Corona Vollies 94X.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Yea, they had the American Flag waving along the side of their bus. That was the only thing nice about them though. And their base in Corona was just as ghetto as their buses. They moved up to a new location in College Point in 2010 I believe.

46Young, did you actually work 46Y when it was still posted at the Hall of Science? I was 46A 2008-2009, as wall as volunteered on Corona Vollies 94X.

I moved out of state in Oct. 2007. Our CSL was National/Roosevelt. I worked Sun Tour 1 and Tues tour 1. My partners were Jim, the slim guy with a mustache and glasses, who looks like Ned Flanders from The Simpsons, and Kirk, the Jamaican dude who commutes from Connecticut. I also used to work with Dennis, the short but husky Puerto Rican. He moved to PA, and works FT over there for Suburban EMS in the Lehigh Valley area. He might still pick up 46Y tours, I don't know.

When I worked Saturday nights with Jim, we used to invite Corona VAC members to jump on with us for txp whenever they wanted, especially the new members.

If the Chimchurri van is still in business on Rossevelt between 108th st and 111th (or somewhere close to that), definitely hit it up. We used to call in our orders and pick them up to cut the line, and it was convenient that they were open all night.

Were you around in 2007 or earlier?

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
I actually got offered a job there as an EMT while I was still in medic school, I turned it down to finish medic school, caught a lot of crap from people I know for that one, but figured my medic can get me further...

northernnhmedic

Forum Probie
I moved out of state in Oct. 2007. Our CSL was National/Roosevelt. I worked Sun Tour 1 and Tues tour 1. My partners were Jim, the slim guy with a mustache and glasses, who looks like Ned Flanders from The Simpsons, and Kirk, the Jamaican dude who commutes from Connecticut. I also used to work with Dennis, the short but husky Puerto Rican. He moved to PA, and works FT over there for Suburban EMS in the Lehigh Valley area. He might still pick up 46Y tours, I don't know.

When I worked Saturday nights with Jim, we used to invite Corona VAC members to jump on with us for txp whenever they wanted, especially the new members.

If the Chimchurri van is still in business on Rossevelt between 108th st and 111th (or somewhere close to that), definitely hit it up. We used to call in our orders and pick them up to cut the line, and it was convenient that they were open all night.

Were you around in 2007 or earlier?

I entered the academy in October 2007, and hit the streets on 46B that December. Got moved onto 46A in March '08, until I entered medic school in 2009. I remember Jim, but the other guys dont sound familar. I loved backing him up when I was working there on either adam or x-ray, particularly when Yvette was working with him.

Ive been to that chimi truck a couple times, but I was a bigger fan of the taco van at 104/Roose. Then again there was Mamas of Corona on 104, and the Lemon Ice King of Corona. I left NY to go back to NH about a year ago, but I still miss the neighborhood and buffing calls with Corona Vollies.