New Treatments for Shock

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ok. I've got a project due on tuesday, and I'm looking for recent research on new (and old) methods of shock/trauma resucitation.

I've heard of PolyHeme, and heard something about hypertonic saline.

any suggestions?

rescuemedic7306

Forum Crew Member
Back in the 80s, we used to use 1 -3 liters w/o of hemacell plasma expander for trauma rescusitation.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Isn't Ringers Solution supposed to replace minerals and enzymes, as a fluid that is close to blood?

ECC

Forum Captain
Ringers is like Gatorade for your veins!

It does not leak out as fast as D5 or even NS.

But like anything else...too much turns your blood to Gatorade!

Anyone Remember Salt poor Albumin?!?

Luno

OG
Premium Member
check out oxycyte, it's experimental, but is supposed to move O2 at 5 times the amount, as blood, and entirely synthetic, rather than blood base.

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
We're getting ready to start a clinical trial with PolyHeme in the prehospital setting but dont have any info on it yet...

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ok. I've almost finished this assignment.

I'm trying to find out the current US Military posture on QuikClot, as I heard at EMS Today that the Marine Corps had yanked it from each solider's kit.

Also, I'm intrested in hearing about Polyheme and other trials occuring in each system.

Jon

Summit

Critical Crazy
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@May 22 2005, 09:10 PM

I'm trying to find out the current US Military posture on QuikClot, as I heard at EMS Today that the Marine Corps had yanked it from each solider's kit.

Also, I'm intrested in hearing about Polyheme and other trials occuring in each system.

Jon
They don't like Quick Clot

They do like the Hemcon hemostatic bandages.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@May 22 2005, 07:10 PM

Jon
I heard the same thing at an EMS conference from one of the vendors. He didn't say why they yanked it from the soldiers.

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by ffemt8978+May 24 2005, 08:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ffemt8978 @ May 24 2005, 08:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@May 22 2005, 07:10 PM

Jon
I heard the same thing at an EMS conference from one of the vendors. He didn't say why they yanked it from the soldiers. [/b][/quote]
Thermal burns, as the volcanic rock dust (yep... that's what QuikClot is) draws in water, it gets hot. Lot of water = Lot of heat. Caused 2nd and 3rd degree burns in some cases. Also hurt those who applied it, as their hands got bloody, then covered in the powder, then burned. QuikClot works by drawing water out of wounds, creating clots very fast.

If I'm bleeding like a stuck pig on Coumadin, use it on me. If I've skinned my knee... please don't... the burn would hurt more than the injury.

Jon

Summit

Critical Crazy
I saw a consumer owie sized box o hemostatic bandaids at wally world the other day

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
So the research materials just cae down the wore for the Poly-Heme study. We have to do all the background research and testing and then they will start putting it on the trucks...once I use it, I'll let ya'll know.

wackermedic

Forum Ride Along
hello, I am new here. I am part o fthe PolyHeme study. I have been part of it for abut 6 months. Several people I know have used it with good results. I had 2 enrollments last week. 1 the control card was for Saline and the other the pt was pregnant. Both were great canidates with b/p below 90 and blunt trauma. It i sgood stuff and I hope that it will be standard for everyone soon. Be safe and have a great day. JC

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
interesting study

20 nationwide EMS agencies selected to participate in an important study on the effectiveness of a newly developed blood substitute called “PolyHeme®.

wow....

the nay-sayer don't like the lack of consent in the field, but how else does one studt trauma patients?

ah, here it is....
Therefore, the study will be conducted under federal regulations that allow for clinical research in emergency settings using an exception (21 CFR 50.24) from the requirement for informed consent.

tell us more wackermedic

~S~

wackermedic

Forum Ride Along
I keep forgetting to bring my card home from work that has the do's and dont's for Poly Heme. I don't want to give anything inaccurate or misleading. There is a list that you follow for a canidate to be enrolled in the study. You must meet all, and there is a list that pulls you out of the study, if you get 1 you are out. If all that is Ok then you open the envelope, If it says Poly Heme then you use it if not than NSS or LR. Poly Heme can run thru any size needle, can be piggy backed or direct. I think it is good stuff and someday it will be on ambulances just like NSS. I will bring my card home and post the list of do's and dont's. Be safe and have a great day. JC

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
So Polyheme...its been a slow summer for lots'o'trauma but Polyheme is on all DCEMS trucks now. Its real hush-hush around here, like theres a conspiracy to do the research without discussing it amongst counterparts, therefore I will not be saying much of anything specific :p
Weve had some enrollments, all with good outcomes, thus far. Had 6 people shot last night but they were all under 18, which is exclusion criteria. I seem slike it may work out well. We'll be enrolled for 12-18 months, so I'm sure plenty of discussion will follow.

medicNsand

Forum Probie
Hi, I'm new here, like the forums.
I'm in a pilot program for sternal IO use ( not that i'm getting stuck several times daily,..LOL)any details I'll let ya know. A few of my brothers are in a pilot synthetic-heme program in the neighboring city ( both are violent-heavy traffic metrop's). I would like to offer some info on the clotting agents.
#1. yes, they burn,..it's a powder that reacts to any blood fluid ( like a elastin/fibrinogen reactant on crack. I had the pleasure of talking with a combat Doc on these same issues. He came from a SpecWar Forward SurgUnit M.D.detachmentwho said " It's great for difficult axillary/femoral trauma, however,..given circumstance I'd still resort to a TK given location/ease of access to the wound".
Clotting agents have a catalytic reaction with a heat by-product that produces in some cases severe burns. There are a few case studies where the agents have produced enough heat to "cauterize" nearby nerve roots resulting in permanent paralysis. Most of these clotting agents have similar directions for example:
#1. deep penetrating trauma, remove all blood in deep wound, wipe away excess blood on surface tissue.Introduce powder to wound, apply pressure, re-evaluate/re-assess.
#2. Be careful not to inhale powder ( It'll clog your nostrils..) Open away from you,...
#3. It's an inert product, varying on element, per manufacturer.
#4. Some combat dressings for hemorrhage control contain "shrimp-shell particles" as an assistant clotting agent. However, what if your casualty, has an iodine allergy? Massive Hemorrhage Vs. Allergy?. shellfish/Iodine allergies can kill people. Now What? ( IE. Kitosan/U.S. Military Wound Dressing Agents).

- I've seen quik-clot work the best,.....in my experience..
Just make sure you have:
1-removed ALL blood from wound ( as best as you can, lotsa blood and this agent will make Jelly)
2-If you have a " safe zone/cold zone" PLEASE take the time to change gloves, wipe away blood from surrounding (skin) area and your casualtie(s)/wound(s).
3- be careful with this powder,...It can cause sever burns,..watch wind direction,..powder VS. Eyes is bad.
Be Safe,..-- :ph34r:

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
to the previous post: Just got Sternal IOs in the ghetto here recently. Had an opportunity to use one on a code last week. They are SUPER-easy to insert and get ready, even in a code situation. The hardest part for me was doing CPR around the bubble-thing. :p (although, it was probably my fault, since I wasnt wearing gloves and my palms were sweaty, I kept sliding right into it.) Its been used probably a dozen times since we got it, with great success.

medicNsand

Forum Probie
to
Previous Post-
HAHAHAH, Been there,..LOL,...we are looking into an automatic CPR device for patients. Just saw a demo (on a mannikin) yesterday. looks good in theory, I'm wondering about Real Life Practicality. Anyone else fumbled with one of those yet?
:ph34r: