New to EMS interest

Artique

Forum Crew Member
Hello my name is Jason and I have been jumping from school to school looking for what would suit me best. Until recently I had an epihany that EMS is the way to go. I am always working jobs ( like retail, Stockroom work, ect...) that take advantage of my kind nature and my eager need to help people. I love to help people and always put out extra effort to serve those in need. I dont get that respect in the jobs I have done and I get paid decent but dont feel fullfilled. EMS , even though doesent pay great, seems to reward one for there actual effort and kind nature, plus open up areas of other medical work. I have 2 kids, one on the way, and I love being a family man, but I want to do something to better my family and myself and the community.

I have a question though. I have heard countless storys of how people become addicited and consumed by the EMS world and end up losing there familys. I wanted to know is this due to the job itself or do the people that this happens to just let it get to them. I want to have this carrer but I want to have my family and myself as well. I know the job asks alot but so do alot of other carrers that are personally rewarding. Can I expect to lose my life due to this job or is balancing a possible course. Such as do you get days off and time away from the job. Thank you.

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
Depending on the dept. you will be working 12, 24, or 8 hour shifts, usually 12 hours shifts (like 7 AM to 7PM, or 7PM to 7AM). Lots of folks work overtime for extra cash because of the low pay, but overtime increases burnout rate most of the time. Pace yourself and see what happens. Do what you want, which seems to be EMS and if you like it, stick with it. If you find it too stressful, find another job like Nursing or something similar like respiratory therapist.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It all depends upon the person. There is a difference from being consumed by studies and classes and those that consume themselves into being engrossed into the "glamour" of EMS.

If you are really serious about becoming a Paramedic professionally, then you need to serious realize there are sacrifices that you are willing to temporary make. Becoming an outstanding Paramedic that will go far into EMS and succeed, does require a sacrifice for about 2-3 years of gross in-depth studying and classes. You will need to discuss this with your spouse, and family and see if it is an option you want to undertake. Any major medical career requires sole dedication to become "one of the better ones". Family time, relationships, down time will be limited, but if one manages time, it can work out.

There are many that do not spend time studying or practicing, and yes they can get a job and pass the course; however, they are the "typical: employee who gets the job done.

Becoming engrossed and "living" the job is easy, and one can get bit by the bug VERY easily. It is exciting and the adrenaline flows.. but, one can control the urges. One will noted that most of the true professionals learn that this is a career, and a job. Those that realize this rarely have stickers on their car, start living their job, participating in every event to get that "high".. understand the need for separation and to have a well balanced life. With such, one will last longer in the profession and has a better adjusted life.

I wish you the best of luck in your choice. You are very wise to investigate fully before changing a career.

R/r 911

Medic's Wife

Forum Crew Member
I think it depends on the person, but the situation can easily lend itself to imbalance, if one's not careful.

My husband is a medic, and has been one for 10 years, so he's seen it all. I know there have been times in his life previous to when we met when he drowned himself in work during dificult times in his personal life. In his case, it was a symptom, not the actual problem. Right now his service is short staffed, and he is covering a lot of extra shifts. He's not just doing it for the money (although that helps!). He feels a sense of moral obligation to help out when it's needed. That being said, he always makes an effort to get extra time off when things are going smoothly at the station, and we plan special things to do together as a family. We have three children, and even though his work is demanding, he handles it in such a way that I never feel that he is putting work above my needs of the needs of our family.

So I do think that EMS can be more easy to lose yourself in than most other careers, but if you're careful to create balance in your life and keep everything in perspective, life will be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

Recycled Words

Forum Crew Member
I have to say that honestly, I had a bit of an issue with that. I'm still in high school, but I had started to come home, shower, go to my ambulance corps, sleep in, go home, shower, go to school, etc. Between my ambulance corps, my friends, and school, I pretty much stopped going home. A large part of it is that it's my parents, not a significant other, but in theory....

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Paramedics are a rare breed of people. Are we obsessed you ask. Well how many jobs do you know of where people will work for free. We don't have the luxury of not being dedicated (obsessed if you will). You fail at your job as a stockroom boy, and someone has to go across town to get their peas. I fail, and someone dies (as on backdraft but it also happens to be true :) ). As I heard someone say recently, "this ain't the home and garden network", this is people's lives we're dealing with. You want respect, you sure as hell won't find it in ems.

OP
OP
A

Artique

Forum Crew Member
Very good Inisight. I am looking strong and hard into this carrer. And one thing I do know is that Im not looking for the respect of the social world Im looking to do what I do best and be expected to do it and be known for doing just that, helping people. I have spent so many years of my life just looking for a quick fix for myself, looking for ways to make my life exciting. I have kids, and possible marriage and thats excitinig, but for myself and soul I want to know I did something that was worthwhile.

besides my family I really have no other obligation. I work almost 10 hours at a stockroom and come home and take care of kids. and I love that. To do 12 hours 14 hours or whatever of life saving, or attempt too and get paid alittle more then what I am getting paid now is fantastic. I dont ever expect to get paid for who I am, I just want to survive in this body as the best or nicest or generous person I can, and I do it for my family and would love to do it for others.

But.....all you EMS's out there. You do get days off right..That does scare me. Atleast One! not counting school I know what study intails and to tell you the truth this line of educvation is interesting so thats more a plus then a minus.

OP
OP
A

Artique

Forum Crew Member
This statement hit me the best. Its true and its exactly what I thought. We all know to be a proffessional take time and sacrifice, but to be a employee is simple. To know that its up to me to decide what I do with my carrer is something I know i can do and I will be on this forum and many others until I start my actual class. hehe I just am now getting my CPR license, but we all start somewhere and I cant wait to start. Regardless of all the talk of low pay and what not, money is money and life is life. Money is forgotten and taken for granted, the same cant be said about life.

It all depends upon the person. There is a difference from being consumed by studies and classes and those that consume themselves into being engrossed into the "glamour" of EMS.

If you are really serious about becoming a Paramedic professionally, then you need to serious realize there are sacrifices that you are willing to temporary make. Becoming an outstanding Paramedic that will go far into EMS and succeed, does require a sacrifice for about 2-3 years of gross in-depth studying and classes. You will need to discuss this with your spouse, and family and see if it is an option you want to undertake. Any major medical career requires sole dedication to become "one of the better ones". Family time, relationships, down time will be limited, but if one manages time, it can work out.

There are many that do not spend time studying or practicing, and yes they can get a job and pass the course; however, they are the "typical: employee who gets the job done.

Becoming engrossed and "living" the job is easy, and one can get bit by the bug VERY easily. It is exciting and the adrenaline flows.. but, one can control the urges. One will noted that most of the true professionals learn that this is a career, and a job. Those that realize this rarely have stickers on their car, start living their job, participating in every event to get that "high".. understand the need for separation and to have a well balanced life. With such, one will last longer in the profession and has a better adjusted life.

I wish you the best of luck in your choice. You are very wise to investigate fully before changing a career.

R/r 911

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I have to say that honestly, I had a bit of an issue with that. I'm still in high school, but I had started to come home, shower, go to my ambulance corps, sleep in, go home, shower, go to school, etc. Between my ambulance corps, my friends, and school, I pretty much stopped going home. A large part of it is that it's my parents, not a significant other, but in theory....
I'm the same way... I work 60+ hours a week... every week. I have NO free time, but it also makes it harder to spend my money ;)