New student here, intro and a few Qs

TS82177

Forum Ride Along
Hey, I just started my EMT-B academy and I am loving it. This is definitely my calling. I have an interview Thurs at a local Fire Dept. for a volunteer position. I hope I get it, and I hope it will lead into something. My dream job would be working as a paramedic with a fire dept.
I am 23, just got out of the army, I was an infantry paratrooper with the 82nd airborne division, wishing I was a medic ;).
I have been trying to find out some info about the aviation side though. I haven't been able to find much. Is it really hard to get into aviation? Are EMT-Bs even considered for that position, or do you need to be a Paramedic?
I think that would be a really great career! When I was in school we were next to a hospital and I always used to watch the helicopter take off or land, I always wanted to be in it haha.
I will continue reading these forums, they have been a great help already.
I can't wait to be an EMT!

WVEmt

Forum Crew Member
never heard of a company hiring an emt-b for flights. as far as i know you need to be at least a medic or rn and then go for your cct cert. thats how it is around here. may be different elsewhere.

yummymummy

Forum Ride Along
In Ireland know you have to be a Paramedic with at least 3-4 years experience before they will even consider you for ther training. their medical prior to interview is cruel.

OP
OP
T

TS82177

Forum Ride Along
ok.. I wont look forward to airMed! I really just want to be on the streets and respond to emergencies in my home town! That would be the most rewarding thing I could ever do.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
ok.. I wont look forward to airMed!

Of course you should keep looking forward to it. Make it your goal, just realize there is a lot to do before you get there.

Others will tell you, and you will discover that a) pay attention to what is in the text, you will need it later and b) no matter how much you learn in class you will learn more in your first year in the field.

Good luck, and thanks for serving!

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
There are four types of people I've heard of being on flights:

RNs (also NPs NNPs, etc)
Paramedics
Respiratory Therapists (out here used mostly for neonatal flights)
MDs (somewhat rare in the US, I think)

I know flights out here hires EMTs essentially as drivers for their CCT ground units. So you wouldn't be up in the air but it may be a good way to get your foot in the door with an agency before you get your medic, and talk to the folks that do fly.

WVEmt

Forum Crew Member
There are four types of people I've heard of being on flights:

RNs (also NPs NNPs, etc)
Paramedics
Respiratory Therapists (out here used mostly for neonatal flights)
MDs (somewhat rare in the US, I think)

I know flights out here hires EMTs essentially as drivers for their CCT ground units. So you wouldn't be up in the air but it may be a good way to get your foot in the door with an agency before you get your medic, and talk to the folks that do fly.

you forgot pilots :p

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm pretty sure pilots don't need any kind of medical training or certification... looking at the minimum requirements on a job posting for pilots for a major aeromedical company out here they do not.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm pretty sure pilots don't need any kind of medical training or certification... looking at the minimum requirements on a job posting for pilots for a major aeromedical company out here they do not.

Didn't you watch Trauma??? You have to be an EMT, cause you know, the pilot helps out with emergency care and LifeFlight units are dispatched to scenes alone without any ground units.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Didn't you watch Trauma??? You have to be an EMT, cause you know, the pilot helps out with emergency care and LifeFlight units are dispatched to scenes alone without any ground units.

Ugh... I watched less than 5 minutes of that show, and in that 5 minutes, they were at a serious MVA. One of the flight medics was talking to a walking-wounded lady cradling her arm. He told her that it was broken without even looking at it, and then they promptly transported her. By helicopter.

Ugh.

EMS/LEO505

Forum Lieutenant
Haha, OH NO!!! You got a paper cut, that could get infected....Jack! Start up the copter, we gotta get this lady outta here:p

MagicTyler

Forum Lieutenant

Many agencies have a policy that the pilot is to have little or no information on the patient. That way they fly the same as they normally would and have no idea of the severity of the patients injuries or illness. Dont want the pilot over stress, they're the most vital person onboard IMO. Without them, you're just in a very small room with a critical patient getting nowhere.